Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine was replaced on warranty at 136,000 Km, now has 152,000.
Been trying to baby this car so it didn't blow another engine, but on a steep incline going 105 Km while everyone else was going 120, (on the Coquihalla) it suddenly lost power and the engine light came on I limped up the hill at 50 Km (with gas pedal almost to the floor) per hour until I could pull over. I let it rest for about 40 minutes and tried it again and it ran downhill and on the straight but the power was not the same. I could get it up to 80 Km per hour eventually on a straight stretch. And soon as I hit an uphill stretch it would slow down to between 50 and 60 Km per hour. I drove it like this for another 3 hours to get it home.

No strange noises or smells, fluid levels are fine, oil looks fine, engine does not stall, but even on a straight stretch now at 80 Km per hour the tac shows 2, while it used to show 2 at 100 Km per hour.

I will get the code from diagnostics but the local shop wants $170.00 to to get the code for me, so I am looking at other options.

Possible causes from what I understand is transmission overheated or a cat converter or an oxygen sensor? Called Hyundai dealer and they can't say anything until they diagnose the code. That will require towing because the dealer is 45 minutes away and I don't trust it for another mile.

This vehicle has always had the problem of hesitating when you need the gas the most but it seems to be in permanent limp mode so I parked it for now.

So my question is: should I purchase a diagnostic tester from Canadian Tire? or bite the bullet and have it towed to Hyundai? Is there anything else I can check? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Get a scan tool.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The diagnostic tester will say what sub-system has a problem.
But it will not say what specific part is faulty. More troubleshooting will be needed.

Does the replacement engine still have warranty left?
In that case just bring it in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts