Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Sonata GLS with the 2.4L engine. I had some knocking-like noise up front that turned out to be a bad bearing in the alternator. I went ahead and had the alternator replaced. The dealer wanted way too much for the OEM model, so they worked with me on getting a refurbished aftermarket one.

Question -- The 2014 with the 2.4L supposedly needs an alternator with a 150 amp rating. The turbo uses one with 110 amps. The dealer said the 110 amp one would be fine -- and it was also immediately available instead of having to order it.

The 2011-2013 Sonata with the 2.4L only needs a 110 amp alternator. What happened with the 2014 with the same engine to require a 150 amp alternator instead of 110 amp? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
162 Posts
to my knowledge nothing changed and they all take the same alternator (11-14 non turbo), minimum of 110 amp. i dont think there is direct fit higher output one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the same exact size/fit for the old 150 amp alternator and the new 110 amp one. I'm not going to worry much about it but am still curious why they made this change for 2014 just for the 2.4L engine.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Couldn't find any info on the Hyundai, but Kia upped the amps to 150 because they had, in some cases,
problems with the 110 amp keeping the battery charged.

·
Registered
162 Posts
interesting. i looked into it a little more and apparently 150amp versions are available, but not completely necessary for the 2014 non turbo optimas and sonatas. im curious to know what changed now too.

turbonut do you know anything else about the specific charging issues you mentioned?

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is interesting. The issue apparently covers 13 model years for Kia -- if what I'm reading matches up with what Turbonut found. Kia Issues New Alternator to Replace Weak One : Kia Optima Electrical and Lights
repairpal is public input no? like anyone can say anything and no real vetting is involved in their "solutions".
i wonder what a hyundai/kia engineer would say. from the looks of it, the dealer basically said you could use either 1 which sorta suggests it wasnt a widespread issue. or is was an issue with a specific part that your car didnt have stock and they are just told not to go into details about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's possible they made the change to the 150 amp alternator as part of the slight refresh for 2014. The 2015 redesign also calls for a 150 amp alternator with the 2.4L engine from what I am seeing. The dealer said I should be fine, but it was still an interesting question to pose to the group.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's possible they made the change to the 150 amp alternator as part of the slight refresh for 2014. The 2015 redesign also calls for a 150 amp alternator with the 2.4L engine from what I am seeing. The dealer said I should be fine, but it was still an interesting question to pose to the group.
That would make sense as well.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Dealer is an idiot to downsize an alternator

Use the correct alternator or upsize. Never downsize.

Reactions: Turbonut

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 2011-2013 model with the same engine uses the 110 amp alternator. The 2014 with the turbo uses the 110 amp one as well. So far so good. I was just curious why there was a switch and wanted to bring that up to the group.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts