Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, I'm looking to make the switch from two older BMW's (2001 540i & 2004 X5) as the maintenance / repairs bills have been racking up. I found a 2.0T at my local dealership that is priced unbelievably (4,500 under KBB, dealer told me they're trying to move it and priced it at wholesale cost). Should I run away? I love finding good deals but this almost seems too good be to be true (old body style, on the lot for over a month?).

Are there any problems areas that I should look out for? The car currently has 38k on the odo and is being sold with no warranty. I see the stickied post about 2011-12, but are they 2014s also susceptible to early engine failure as well? If I'm looking for long-term reliabity should I avoid this car?

EDIT: Entered my VIN on the Hyundai website and it has the extended warranty on the engine. Should I still be concerned?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
All Sonatas could have an early engine failure.

It should have the 10/120k recall extended engine only warranty.

If you like it, buy it. Hyundai's have their quirks.

Maintain it well and it shouldn't give you a problem.

38k? you'll need to flush the ATF, change the coolant, and get some quality 5w40 oil in there to protect that engine. Will need sparkplugs soon, cabin and engine air filters, possibly serpentine belt, brakes/tires.... So, go over it thoroughly.

With $8k-$10 discounts on leftover 2017's, make sure you get the 2014 cheap. Hyundai's aren't selling and reputation has been tarnished badly by the seizing engines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
deadrx7, thanks for the reply. It's an SE and they are asking $12k for it, which fits my budget perfectly and seems like a pretty good deal?

·
Registered
279 Posts
deadrx7, thanks for the reply. It's an SE and they are asking $12k for it, which fits my budget perfectly and seems like a pretty good deal?
Just for price comparison -- I picked up a 2012 Sonata 2.0T Limited with 38K, January of 2015. I only paid $16,300 for it. In my opinion, a 2014 SE with 38k, $12,000 seems a bit high...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi pglarson, your price comparison is much appreciated. I guess I was basing the "good deal" off of the current KBB dealer value (which is $14.1 - $16.7). I'll definitely do some more research and see if they'll come down any more. I just found a local CPO 2014 SE with the 2.4 for $14k, same mileage.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you enjoyed any "spirited" driving in your BMW, like accelerating around turns and such, you will be very disappointed with FWD. Otherwise, the car (2012 2.0T) pleasantly surprised me. It is my daughter's. I still can't bring myself to switch from RWD.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Check ebay/autotrader for similar mileage/pricing.

Is carfax clean? maintenance records ok? The $12k is fair, especially if you need financing thru dealer, even though I would firmly offer $10k and walk away. They'll call you to get rid of it.

I'd pay a little more for minty well maintained vehicle. Problem is, most US consumers are negligent dopeheads that are competent enough to check the dipstick. This is why I won't buy a used car. Too much clean and shiny junk out there.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Check ebay/autotrader for similar mileage/pricing.

Is carfax clean? maintenance records ok? The $12k is fair, especially if you need financing thru dealer, even though I would firmly offer $10k and walk away. They'll call you to get rid of it.

I'd pay a little more for minty well maintained vehicle. Problem is, most US consumers are negligent dopeheads that are competent enough to check the dipstick. This is why I won't buy a used car. Too much clean and shiny junk out there.
That is exactly what I would do.They may let you walk,but,I bet they call back and counter with $11k. We are in the beginnings of a car recession and inventory continues to pile up.Buyers are firmly in the drivers seat.

Reactions: Richard Bicker
1 - 8 of 8 Posts