Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There appears to be an issue with some 17" Continental tires on 2014 Santa Fe Sport's (AN) ONLY.

Dealer's are instructed to remove the existing 17" Continentals prior to delivery, replace them with 17" Kumho's and keep the old tires until further notice.

There is no further information available on this issue and it concerns ONLY the 2014 Santa Fe Sport (AN) with this size and tire make.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Just got mine two weeks ago! Will I be notified about the tires if there is a problem??
Do you have Kumho tires, or Continental tires ?

Unknown reason currently for tire swap.. as stated in the notice to dealers, further instructions up coming sometime this week
-------------------------------------------------------------------

DATE: November 15, 2013
SUBJECT: Retail Hold on 2014 Santa Fe Sport (AN)

Effective immediately, all 2014 Santa Fe Sport (AN) vehicles equipped
with Continental 17 inch tires should not be retailed.

Dealers who need to retail one of these vehicles must replace the 17
inch Continental tires with 17 inch Kumho tires prior to customer
delivery.

All 17 inch Continental tires must be replaced prior to
retailing.

Additional information including inspection procedures will be provided to dealers next week.

All replaced 17 inch Continental tires must be retained by the dealer
for future inspection by Hyundai personnel.

We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY

---------------------------------------------------------

That's as far as it gone currently.. likely goiing to take time to effect roundup and delivery of replacement tires to dealers, so hang in there till further notice.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Do t wait to be contacted with stuff like this. If you hear of issues like a recall from the media or a forum, call your dealership and get it looked after. This is a great forum filled with people that like to help and make suggestions... Some of which let us all know about the back up sensor recall, and the front axle recall.

It's better to get it taken care of BEFORE the notices get mailed out to everyone... Sometimes parts can go on back order when so many people come in at the same time to get work done.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks sbr711-

I intend to inform like you, but you know what the HMA documents & campaigns say, MYOB.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wondering what the issue might be

I have to wonder if its a cost savings effort for HMC or a safety issue? If its a safety issue would it apply to the 13's as well? Or would it be a certain lot# of tires if its a safety issue. IMO. I think the continental tires are pretty soft and and cause the the SFs to feel numb on the road( going along with the other steering thread issue). Good to keep an eye on this one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the Contis on my 2013. I also have 16000km on them. It would be pretty cool if I got new tires out of the deal LOL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all. New user here. Just picked up my 2014 SFS last night and dealer basically pleading to return the car for tire swap. At first did not say it was safety related, then called me back up and is now driving down to my home to retrieve the car, take it in for service, and return to me today. Weird.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Hi all. New user here. Just picked up my 2014 SFS last night and dealer basically pleading to return the car for tire swap. At first did not say it was safety related, then called me back up and is now driving down to my home to retrieve the car, take it in for service, and return to me today. Weird.
Ask him what's wrong with the original tires?
John

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Ask him what's wrong with the original tires?
John
If I had to venture a guess based on the 2 Santa Fe sitting beside me in neighbor stalls,, the Continental tires on the 1 is "T" rated.. the Kumho on other is "H" rated... I suspect the car has abillity to exceed speed that the "T" tire only good/rated for,, the "H" is rated to 130 MPH...

Drive the Continentals and keep it under 100 and you likey be ok,,, until Hyundai release info to delaer on how to handle the situation.. minor sidewall flex differences between T and H.. the H is a better handling tire..

Just my wild speculations based on 2 Santa Fe sitting here with both tires.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just my wild speculations based on 2 Santa Fe sitting here with both tires.
Based on my wild speculation I'm going 50 to 1 on sbr711. It's Vegas time baby.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So just got the car back, they actually put continentals from one of their 2013 models on it instead. He said the 2014's come with continentals that "don't sit on the rim properly". Your guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
So just got the car back, they actually put continentals from one of their 2013 models on it instead. He said the 2014's come with continentals that "don't sit on the rim properly". Your guess is as good as mine.
What is the speed/load rating on the tires installed ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is the speed/load rating on the tires installed ?
103 T

I'm starting to really doubt that they actually did ANYTHING to the vehicle. The original tires had these circular stickers on them which were matched up with another circular sticker on the rim. These are precisely done the same way. I don't know if that's a new car inspection thing when they do prep, but it would be very strange for 4 new tires to then be put on with such precision. Unless there's a specific reason for the tire to be set at a certain rotation on the rim to match the sticker on the rim? Anyone have any insight, I'm not really familiar with tire installation.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wheels and Tires both have heavy and light spots. When they are installed, they are balanced together, to ensure the wheel runs as true as can be. If needed, they install wheel weights. The stickers are used to line up those spots.

·
Registered
870 Posts
103 T

I'm starting to really doubt that they actually did ANYTHING to the vehicle. The original tires had these circular stickers on them which were matched up with another circular sticker on the rim. These are precisely done the same way. I don't know if that's a new car inspection thing when they do prep, but it would be very strange for 4 new tires to then be put on with such precision. Unless there's a specific reason for the tire to be set at a certain rotation on the rim to match the sticker on the rim? Anyone have any insight, I'm not really familiar with tire installation.
They probably swapped tires and wheels to save time and not mount/balance again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, what does (AN) stand for?

I found this link, www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=13V624000

It looks like the problem is only for SFS built Nov. 5 - Nov. 15, 2013. Check with your dealers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts