Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys , sorry but I originally posted in the wrong section . I’m hoping that someone can help me. It’s 95 degrees here and it seems that on longer trips usually more then 1 hr my a/c isn’t working right . It goes from working great to feeling like there is no air flow . For example , I had the ac set at the lowest temp today with it blowing straight at me and it was working great then it feels like there’s no air flow from the vents . If you put your hand in front of the vents you can feel a noticeable difference or drop off in airflow . However , it doesn’t sound like the compressor or fan stops blowing because it still sounds just as powerful it just feels like something is blocking the air flow . If I turn the power off for a few minutes it sometimes goes back to full flow other times it doesn’t . However , I turned the car off today for 2 minutes to get gas and when I turned it on the air flow went back to 100% right away for about 20 mins before again feeling like the flow was blocked . I have the air set at low and it feels cold so I don’t think it’s a Freon issue and the fan or compressor doesn’t seem to lose power because it always sounds like it’s blowing the same but it feels like something is closing blocking most of the airflow . I always have the air set on recirculate and I haven’t changed it since I bought the car . Not sure if this is related but in the morning driving to work it takes me forever to clear my windshield from morning dew when the ac and defrost are on . If it’s really humid outside it’s even worst . If you guys can please let me know what you think I would greatly appreciate it . I don’t want to have to take the car back to the dealer again. They are great people and easy to deal with however it always appears that the first few times I go there with a problem they can’t find it no matter how well i explain it and it’s weeks of running back and fourth . No time for that . Thanks again .

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
Sounds like the evaporator freezing up and blocking air flow. There is a temp sensor that should be killing the compressor when the air temp is around 38F at the evaporator.

When the AC is working is there a steady drip of water out of the evap drain hose coming out of the firewall?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the air set at low and it feels cold so I don’t think it’s a Freon issue and the fan or compressor doesn’t seem to lose power because it always sounds like it’s blowing the same but it feels like something is closing blocking most of the airflow .
Sounds like the evaporator is freezing up as the previous poster said. Check your cabin air filter. Also try running your fan on a higher speed to keep the formation of ice down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys thanks for taking the time to respond . I’m not sure exactly about the water leaking from the firewall but if the car is sitting idle there is always a puddle in that area if the ac is on . When using the ac I usually leave the temp on low but they fan is usually 1/2 to 3/4 power . My question is that if it was a freezing issue would turning the car off and back on again within 2 mins or so be enough to defrost it and make it operate again at full force for almost 20 minutes before doing it again? I’m really not sure how ac works in cars so that’s my biggest problem . Is there some type of door or damper that could be closing and blocking the air flow from coming out ? Is there anything i can do to test it and report back to you guys ? Not sure if this helps but when the air flow is blocked from the vents the flow is minimal no matter which mode I switch to . The only thing that fixes it is turning it off or turning the car off for a minute or two.. this doesn’t seem to happen on shorter trips however it could but I just don’t realize it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for sharing this. My 2017 SFS Ultimate did the same thing twice now. Months apart but still enough to bother the crap out of me. What you described are the exact same symptoms that I experienced with mine. I tried every setting to try to get it to work properly and nothing worked. It wasn't until I stopped at a service station and took a 10 minute break and then re-started the car to get on my way, and that's when the a/c started working properly again. As you described, I too could hear the system working but no air was blowing out of the vents even when I manually set the fan to the highest level. I am hoping these were isolated incidents but if it happens again, I am taking it in for service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for sharing this. My 2017 SFS Ultimate did the same thing twice now. Months apart but still enough to bother the crap out of me. What you described are the exact same symptoms that I experienced with mine. I tried every setting to try to get it to work properly and nothing worked. It wasn't until I stopped at a service station and took a 10 minute break and then re-started the car to get on my way, and that's when the a/c started working properly again. As you described, I too could hear the system working but no air was blowing out of the vents even when I manually set the fan to the highest level. I am hoping these were isolated incidents but if it happens again, I am taking it in for service.
Yes I agree it’s really annoying . I experienced the same type of thing last year However it was the turbo . Out of nowhere when I started the car it wouldn’t accelerate. It felt like I was towing a bus . This would continue until I turned the car off and it would reset and be fine.. I had my car at hyundai 3 times for that and they could not find anything thrown in the codes . They had the car for days at a time and still nothing . I would get the car back and it would do it again. It was actually making me furious . They said by me turning the car off and on to reset it , there were no codes being thrown. Finally one day it did it and I called them and said I’m driving the car in right now. I took all the back roads and did about 20 the whole way. I pulled up and left the car running and the mechanic came out hooked up the sensor and could actually see what was happening . So if you bring your vehicle in and they say they can’t replicate it , the next time it does it drive it there . My car is a 14 with 95k on it so it won’t be covered anyway but if it’s a prob yours should be .

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a similar issue as OP had recently. I’m sure it was evaporator freeze up due to slightly low refrigerant level. Dealer could not replicate. During their testing they evacuated and then restored the refrigerant to spec level. It’s probably fixed now. I wonder if the temp sensor that Red Raspberry mentioned in post no. 2 could be part of the issue?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Hi guys , sorry but I originally posted in the wrong section . I’m hoping that someone can help me. It’s 95 degrees here and it seems that on longer trips usually more then 1 hr my a/c isn’t working right . It goes from working great to feeling like there is no air flow . For example , I had the ac set at the lowest temp today with it blowing straight at me and it was working great then it feels like there’s no air flow from the vents . If you put your hand in front of the vents you can feel a noticeable difference or drop off in airflow . However , it doesn’t sound like the compressor or fan stops blowing because it still sounds just as powerful it just feels like something is blocking the air flow . If I turn the power off for a few minutes it sometimes goes back to full flow other times it doesn’t . However , I turned the car off today for 2 minutes to get gas and when I turned it on the air flow went back to 100% right away for about 20 mins before again feeling like the flow was blocked . I have the air set at low and it feels cold so I don’t think it’s a Freon issue and the fan or compressor doesn’t seem to lose power because it always sounds like it’s blowing the same but it feels like something is closing blocking most of the airflow . I always have the air set on recirculate and I haven’t changed it since I bought the car . Not sure if this is related but in the morning driving to work it takes me forever to clear my windshield from morning dew when the ac and defrost are on . If it’s really humid outside it’s even worst . If you guys can please let me know what you think I would greatly appreciate it . I don’t want to have to take the car back to the dealer again. They are great people and easy to deal with however it always appears that the first few times I go there with a problem they can’t find it no matter how well i explain it and it’s weeks of running back and fourth . No time for that . Thanks again .
The temp sensot for the evaporator may be shot. Need a scan tool that can read the HVAC module and see what the sensor is doing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our Santa Fe has had this problem, if the A/C was on for a long period it would stop being effective, fan still running but virtually no airflow. Happens in hot or cold weather. Fixed by stopping for ~20mins.

I took it in to the local dealer today. They told me it needs a new temperature sensor. I told them they had replaced this before and they said it had been redesigned. Perhaps the original type is prone to failure?

They are ordering the part in under warranty and I will report back

Regards,
Mark Leman

·
Registered
1 Posts
It goes from working great to feeling like there is no air flow . For example , I had the ac set at the lowest temp today with it blowing straight at me and it was working great then it feels like there’s no air flow from the vents... I turned the car off today for 2 minutes to get gas and when I turned it on the air flow went back to 100% right away for about 20 mins before again feeling like the flow was blocked .
Pretty much the same scenario. I had this issue about 2 years ago and the Hyundai dealership fixed it. I didn't get to talk with the mechanic so I don't know what they did. However, it worked for the interim. But today, driving from Houston to Austin, it quit after about 90 minutes on the road -- cool on maximum setting, blower on 2 or 3. I shut it off for 30 minutes and it was back to working for the remainder of the trip.

I appreciate the suggestions. The last time it happened, the service counter person claimed they wouldn't work on it because it was intermittent. My answer was that my car was under warranty so they danged well better fix it! I'm assuming they replaced the temperature sensor on the evaporator and from the sound of this forum, they may have a little more experience with this issue! I hope it will keep on working -- as I said, this is Texas, October 20 and it's nearly 90 degrees!!! We need our air conditioning. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone. My wife’s 2018 Santa Fe sport is doin the same thing. Did it once when we first bought it almost 2 years ago. Like there is a paper or something restricted air flow. Does it on heat too. Not just ac. Anyone got a fix?

·
Registered
5 Posts
When this occurs, is the system in AUTO or is the mode set manually (floor, dash vent, etc.). Wondering if it could be an issue with the damper door getting stuck somehow. My 2015 has instances where I can hear the damper door make a clicking or chirping sound like it is sticking when in AUTO. I change the mode from floor up to defrost and back down, this usually quiets things down. Have not experienced an occurrence of no airflow at all however.

·
Registered
1 Posts
its most likely the Blower resistor going bad thats the problems when your inside fan is not always working or hi is low or low is hi. or nothing

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever find a fix for this as my wife’s is doing the same thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts