Hyundai Forums banner

2014 Santa Fe Sport Rack & Pinion Leak

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Adogg9626 
#1 ·
I took our 2014 Santa Fe Sport to the dealership to have the heated seat checked (luckily its not -20 yet!) and the mechanic found a number of problems.
1. Lower ball joints in the front
2. Front sway bar links
3. Rear sway bar links
4. Rack and pinion needs replacement bc of leaking.
5. Heated seat element has blown

The cost to get the rack and pinion done at Hyundai will be $869 ($650 USD) alone. If we got 1-5 completed the price would jump to $2560 ($1912 USD)!! This year has been a dumpster fire and this has thrown fuel onto it. The vehicle has 165000 km on it.

And to add insult to injury, the shop would charge us for an alignment after all of the work!!

#3 ·
Go with dealer for the rack since there are many variants of the same part number on Hyundai steering gears (ask me how I know).

The rest outside the seat heater would be cheaper at an indy shop unless you prefer oem parts.

Seat heater is not that tough of a DIY job but would shop it around to an upholstery shop.

All said less than 2k USD for all that work by a dealer (and assuming OEM parts) aint bad. When I had my AC repaired it was 1400 USD at an indy shop after a 10% affiliate discount and they used aftermarket parts

Yes the alignment being extra is bogus but if its 4 wheel it makes sense. Otherwise agree that a 2 wheel alignment is required to even verify the rack is installed properly via test drive.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.