Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a bit of assistance for a newbie. Wanted to change the light buld on the license plate area. Got the screw and casing out, but having a hard time getting the bulb out. Tried pulling it and turning it--but it won't budge. In a way as I type this, it seems very funny since the back of mind is thinking about jokes "HOw many people does it take to unscrew a light bulb..hah..Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Bet your issue is on the drivers side. There's only about 3/4" of extra wire, not much to get mitt's in there, pull the fixture out or even wrestle it for a while.

I tethered the hatch halfway open (or closed :rolleyes:) that way I wasn't on my knee's looking up, working above eye level or holding the hatch & working.

That being said, patience is the only way to get the bulb out. (I'll go out on a limb and guess that's what you meant to say ..... ^_^)

By the way ..... :00000732: ..... to the forum, enjoy the ..... :auto:.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The license plate light bulb I was trying to replace is for the back. I got the screws and connectors out, but just can't pull the light bulb itself out. I tried putting a towel over the bulb and gently pulling it---but no luck. It should be such a simple process, but I tried pulling and turning the bulb and it won't move. Suggestions?

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
274 Posts
Use something sticky like the yellow glove for dish washing, or dexterity glove or something like that to pull the bulb out...

Or maybe cover the bulb with electrical tape so it give you more grip? You just have to pull it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help---I actually used masking tape and took out the bulb with a bit of resistance. And YES --you were not kidding about the driver side, I only wish the wiring was like 2 inches longer to make it easier to get the casing out....So far the LED looks good. I'll browse the DIY forums to see if there are any other easy projects. Quick question--How easy is it to replace the low beam lights? (I had a BMW 328 in the past before kids of course and it was pretty easy to get into the spacing etc.) Haven't looked at this one yet, since it is way too cold outside...arrrr...

Thanks again

·
Registered
169 Posts
These little 194 style bulbs are the crap of the automotive world. They get hot and after time will dry out and crack the housing. Happened in my Tiburon.

Also they can be a SOB to get out, if you suffer from sweaty greasy fingers....good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depends on what you're replacing them with. Replace them with what?
John
I had always liked the Sylvania SIlverstar Ultra, but their is no listing yet for 2014 Hyundai Santa FE. I'm assuming or maybe I shouldn't --that the 2013 will fit also?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use something sticky like the yellow glove for dish washing, or dexterity glove or something like that to pull the bulb out...

Or maybe cover the bulb with electrical tape so it give you more grip? You just have to pull it.
To remove the bulb, simply use scotch tape rolled it on itself so that the sticky side is all around on the outside, ...like, fold it over on itself then wrap the bulb and now it is very easy to grip and pull out of the socket. BUT, the person who decided to save a half cent on an extra length of wire should be thrown in jail! Getting that darn plastic socket out of the lens frame is murder! My fear was that I might have pulled the wires completely out and then there'd be real trouble. Remember that the bulb socket requires a quarter turn to remove it from the lens frame, (before you can remove the bulb). The tape trick works wonders! I'm glas that's over and alls well and lighted now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts