Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded my 2011 Limited Turbo on a 2014 last Sunday. By Friday it was louder than a mid-seventies diesel. Apparently some sort of tensioner came loose. Whatever the part is, it had to be ordered because the car is "too new" to have parts in stock. I assumed the internal engine components would be the same, but apparently something was changed. I'm hoping this isn't a bad omen. Is anyone familiar with engine changes for 2014? :confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's odd, I didn't recall reading anything that was changed for our 14's. Perhaps they changed suppliers? Good luck and keep us up to date.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got an update today. They told me it's the CVVT - continuously variable valve timing something or other. They said it's not new, they just don't stock it. Supposed to be a 14 hour job. Glad I'm not paying for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another update. It wasn't what they thought it was. Put new CVVT assembly in and still sounds terrible when cold. They told me they were contacting the factory for guidance.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Head issues?

I think you got some valve problems with your car. Glad its under warranty!

With such low miles, I would press for Hyundai to try to get you into another car vs fix this one.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If it were me, and the car was only a week old and needing a new engine. I would definitely push for a new car. While Hyundai is replacing the engine and turbo, I would still tell the dealer to put me in a new one. Just my thoughts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not sure what state you are in but it might not be that easy to just ask for a new car. You might need to the court and invoke the lemon law. I feel your pain though. Good luck and please keep us updated. It's just wrong that it happened to a brand new car!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Not sure what state you are in but it might not be that easy to just ask for a new car. You might need to the court and invoke the lemon law. I feel your pain though. Good luck and please keep us updated. It's just wrong that it happened to a brand new car!
State lemon laws usually require that the mfg representative (aka Dealer) is allowed so many attempts to fix the problem or that a certain amount of time passes where the owner is out of the car for a problem to be fixed.

In this case, the OP will not be able to lemon it because this is the first occurrence and, depending on where he lives, probably has not met the time elapsed to seek remedy via buyback.

The best course of action at this point is to petition for a replacement vehicle. Mainly because of such a catastrophic issue so early in the ownership period and the fact that there are few miles on the car so no stupid mileage/usage deductions will apply for them to take back the car and replace it with another.

OP you need to get Hyundai Corporate and the dealership management involved on this. DO NOT TAKE THAT CAR BACK!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just called Hyundai Customer Care line and opened a case to replace the car. Probably be next week until I get a response, but I'll keep you posted. Driving a loaner SE turbo in the meantime.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had a 2011 Sonata SE 2.0 T and the engine had a loud noise for the first 2-3 minutes, later found out it was the actuator rod from turbo waste gate control motor. Hyundai had issued a recall for left pull on steering system for this vehicle, when I went back to dealership to have the recall looked at I started looking around show room and found a new 2012 Genesis coupe 3.8 Grand Touring edition that struck my fancy, ended up trading my 2011 Sonata for this Genesis coupe. My 2011 Sonata had 375 miles on it when trade was made. I just felt un-easy about keeping the Sonata with the rattle, even though it went away after the brief warm up period.
The Moral to this story for you is, You will always have reservations in your mind about this 2014 Sonata, like What Next will go wrong. My advice work out a trade with Dealership or Hyundai Motor Co. This should not be a problem you should have to deal with on a new automobile. My best to you in getting this situation resolved.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Just called Hyundai Customer Care line and opened a case to replace the car. Probably be next week until I get a response, but I'll keep you posted. Driving a loaner SE turbo in the meantime.
Good to hear.

And also very jealous---the best loaner I ever got from a dealer was a brand new 2012 GLS. I think if I had gotten a Turbo they would have never gotten that loaner back!

Anyway, best of luck to you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The engine came in today. Its supposed to be done on Thursday. I haven't heard from Customer Care since before thanksgiving, but they're supposed to meet and discuss this week. I'm assuming I'll get my car back before I hear from them.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
You will.

At this point, its still a "new" car mileage and usage wise, and they put in a new long block and turbo. Keeping the car is not as much of an issue any more IMHO, but you are the person swinging the payments on it.

You still have the power to request that it be replaced with another new Sonata. However, chances are slim since they have already done so much.

Again, I hope the best for you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts