Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a 2014 Hyundai Ltd I4 Turbo or the Kia Optima SX I4 Turbo.

The Hyundai's seem to cost less and better deals are available, but the Kia looks interesting.

For some reason the Kia's seem too be a little more expensive but have some interesting features and technology.

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge or comments that might help me.

Hyundai got a bad rating from Consumer Reports as to reliability but the Kia did not.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I looked closely at their ratings and new car prediction is pretty much the same for turbo Sonata and Optima so the fact that Hyundai is on their "do not buy" list and kia is not makes no sense.

I prefer Kia's design over Hyundai's but when I was purchasing my car in May of this year Sonata was $2K cheaper than Optima. Another factor is more limited dealer network for Kia, at least in my area.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi,
My choice would be the Optima, I like the design better than the Sonata, I think it's a lot cleaner. Both cars are almost identical mechanically, the turbo seems to be less reliable than the regular four cylinder motor. I don't know about price, but the resale value on the Optima seems to be higher. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi,
My choice would be the Optima, I like the design better than the Sonata, I think it's a lot cleaner. Both cars are almost identical mechanically, the turbo seems to be less reliable than the regular four cylinder motor. I don't know about price, but the resale value on the Optima seems to be higher. Just my 2 cents.
Where have you read that the 2.0T is less reliable than the 2.4? From experience and reading online, they're both solid motors.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Where have you read that the 2.0T is less reliable than the 2.4? From experience and reading online, they're both solid motors.
Unfortunatelly truedelta does not make distinction between 2.0 and 2.4 versions so Sonata and Optima look equally reliable. CR on the other hand says that first model year of Sonata turbo was pretty bad. 2013 force fed Sonata looks very good according to CR but they still put it on "do not buy" list, go figure...

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,222 Posts
I think the early turbos had some problems with steering drift and there might have been some torque steer involved. So far as I know the line-up is entirely reliable. I've owned a Kia and they are very similar but on balance think the Hyundai has an edge. It pretty much comes down to personal taste.

I've owned a whole passel of Hyundais. Not a bad one in the bunch. Kia even assembled at least some of the 2013 Santa Fes in their factory in Georgia. I'd buy whatever turns you on and stop worrying. You are not likely to go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
It's like Buick and Chevy , same company so driveline and most mechanical components shared. Trim seats and add on options slightly different ; suspension tuning some what different with Kia trying to carry more of a sporting image. My take for what it's worth.

·
22,793 Posts
Only 2 cents I can offer on the Optima was one that we rented in Denver and drove to Breckenridge. Car was magnificent. Fuel mileage, impressive for a V-6. But, one and a half hours of looking at those red dashboard gauges had me twitching with the dimmer. At night it bothered me quite a bit. I had already been saturated enough with red panel lights on a Honda we owned. Couldn't wait to get back to my Hyundai blue instruments. But you don't buy a vehicle because you can't stand the color of the instrument lights. Well, maybe you do. ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
I looked closely at their ratings and new car prediction is pretty much the same for turbo Sonata and Optima so the fact that Hyundai is on their "do not buy" list and kia is not makes no sense.

I prefer Kia's design over Hyundai's but when I was purchasing my car in May of this year Sonata was $2K cheaper than Optima. Another factor is more limited dealer network for Kia, at least in my area.
Neither car has a "do not buy" rating. That's only used when there's a major safety problem. I just looked and no car in the sedan category has a "do not buy" rating.

CR notes some reliability differences between the various engines, but the overall scores on the cars are very close. The 2.0t models aren't on the "recommended" list, which is likely because of the "fair" reliability for that engine. Cars with below average reliability ratings can't get the "recommended" title.

To the OP-
The distinctions between them are small. Drive them and see which you like more. But as an unhappy Hyundai owner, I'd personally steer you away from Hyundai and Kia.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Neither car has a "do not buy" rating. That's only used when there's a major safety problem. I just looked and no car in the sedan category has a "do not buy" rating.

CR notes some reliability differences between the various engines, but the overall scores on the cars are very close. The 2.0t models aren't on the "recommended" list, which is likely because of the "fair" reliability for that engine. Cars with below average reliability ratings can't get the "recommended" title.

To the OP-
The distinctions between then are small drive them and see which you like more. But as a unhappy Hyundai owner, I'd personally steer you away from Hyundai and Kia.
When I wrote "do not buy" list I meant list of cars to avoid and '11 and '12 sonata turbo are on that list. Actually '11 Optima turbo is also there.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Consumer Reports

It doesn't do any good to link to Consumer Reports unless you're a paid member; the link just invites you to join. Not that there's anything wrong with that; their independent, valuable work is funded by their members.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
He's is likely some marketer or something for consumer reports. He constantly slams the site about using consumer reports. Might be getting a kick back

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'd go with the Optima SX. Power passenger seat, vented passenger seat, power folding mirrors, and better looking interior and exterior. The '14 Sonata finally got HIDs, LED tails, and a ventilated driver seat.

I ended up with the 2.0T Limited due to price. But I think Optimas can be had at lower prices now that they have been out 3 years.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I have an older Optima. It has been a very good car, but during the warranty period I had it in the dealership several times. Now I have it serviced at my Hyundai dealership because the Kia one went bankrupt. The closest Kia dealership is a long drive away. That alone makes the Sonata a more attractive purchase to me.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
I have an older Optima. It has been a very good car, but during the warranty period I had it in the dealership several times. Now I have it serviced at my Hyundai dealership because the Kia one went bankrupt. The closest Kia dealership is a long drive away. That alone makes the Sonata a more attractive purchase to me.
+1 on this. Also remember that Kia still suffers horribly in terms of resale value. Leasing an Optima is financial suicide, and buying one I would recommend you put significant $$ down to get equity in it immediately.

However, the main difference I would note (at least when I was looking at swapping the Sled for an Optima) is the interior configuration. Optima center stack is canted towards the driver where the Sonata is centered between driver and passenger. Also the materials are a bit cheaper on the mid-level Optima vs Sonata (yellowish/beige leather was stained from my jeans during test drive of the Optima).

However, if features are your bag then go with the Optima. The Ex Premium has many more features (sunroof, heated/cooled seats, and heated wheel) for close to the same price as a base SE. Depending on the dealer, pricing could go below the Sonata. However, Kia rebates tend to suck and their financing is garbage as well (if that even would factor in for you)

Choice is yours...I would personally wait to see what the 15 Sonata brings with it before making any moves.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the advice. It looks like the lean is to the KIA. There are two dealers in the Fort Myers area, one of which I would definitely not buy from at least by BBB reports but not good prices.

Does anyone know of a dealer like Fitzgerald that posts good deals on KIA's?

Sorry for the slow reply but with Christmas and internet problems I was stuck.

The only concern I have about KIA is their vehicles don't seem to hold their value very well.

I think I will sell my 2007 Hyundai which is in immaculate condition with about 72K miles. Trades ins suck.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
+1 on this. Also remember that Kia still suffers horribly in terms of resale value. Leasing an Optima is financial suicide, and buying one I would recommend you put significant $$ down to get equity in it immediately.

However, the main difference I would note (at least when I was looking at swapping the Sled for an Optima) is the interior configuration. Optima center stack is canted towards the driver where the Sonata is centered between driver and passenger. Also the materials are a bit cheaper on the mid-level Optima vs Sonata (yellowish/beige leather was stained from my jeans during test drive of the Optima).

However, if features are your bag then go with the Optima. The Ex Premium has many more features (sunroof, heated/cooled seats, and heated wheel) for close to the same price as a base SE. Depending on the dealer, pricing could go below the Sonata. However, Kia rebates tend to suck and their financing is garbage as well (if that even would factor in for you)

Choice is yours...I would personally wait to see what the 15 Sonata brings with it before making any moves.
Thank You for the Good Advice.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks for the advice. It looks like the lean is to the KIA. There are two dealers in the Fort Myers area, one of which I would definitely not buy from at least by BBB reports but not good prices.

Does anyone know of a dealer like Fitzgerald that posts good deals on KIA's?

Sorry for the slow reply but with Christmas and internet problems I was stuck.

The only concern I have about KIA is their vehicles don't seem to hold their value very well.

I think I will sell my 2007 Hyundai which is in immaculate condition with about 72K miles. Trades ins suck.
According to ALG, both the Optima and Sonata have virtually identical value retention. They indicate both to be worth about 34% of their original value after 5 years. Personally, I think this is a little optimistic but not totally unreasonable. You don't buy a Hyundai or KIA for stellar resale value. You buy for the overall great value they provide for the price.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very True

According to ALG, both the Optima and Sonata have virtually identical value retention. They indicate both to be worth about 34% of their original value after 5 years. Personally, I think this is a little optimistic but not totally unreasonable. You don't buy a Hyundai or KIA for stellar resale value. You buy for the overall great value they provide for the price.
Very True! My current Hyundai is a 2007, so I don't buy new cars very often. An surprisingly, it still has pretty good value for seven year old car.

I like both the Hyundai and the KIA. Great value and features and the best warranties,

Thanks for your input.

I really don't need a new car, but a new one will probably last as long as I do although I hope not!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts