Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had this issue once before where the gas door release button fails to work. Even the emergency release handle in the trunk doesn’t work... Last time it was a couple hundred dollars in repair as they had to break the locking mechanism and reinstall a new one.

Now that my car is out of warranty I REALLY don’t want that same repair. Is there anything else I can try?

I posted the issue to Facebook, but it won’t let me post links and I can’t remember my old account login info...it is a video of the locking mechanism in action when I press the door open (jammed my phone into the crevasse by the back left light maintenance area and recorded the pin opening and closing... so the mechanics seem to work)

So far I’ve tried:
1. Pressing the button quickly
2. Pressing the button firmly
3. Pressing and holding the button
4. Wedging a credit card in the door and applying outward pressure while pressing the button
5. Pushing in the door inwards while pressing the button
6. Steps 1-3, except with pulling the emergency open handle

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Replace the door opener thing.. overall crappy design,, the pin breaks in middle if I recall

Difficult to open without breaking door, but it can be done,, 2 people work best

Reactions: phftw

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've never had a serious issue with my gas cap but it has gotten stuck occasionally. What has always worked for me is to go to the fuel door and push it in a couple of times. Apparently if it isn't "fully" closed it hangs up and won't open, no matter how many times you push the button. It sounds as if you are having a different issue, just thought I'd mention this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't there a button in the trunk ?
Button makes the sounds that it’s opening the door but doesn’t unlatch. Going in through the trunk and manually pulling the plunger also doesn’t work.

I’ve also tried pushing in the door, and wedging a credit card in it to pry it out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When that happened to me in my 2016, I could get it to open by pulling on the cord in the trunk and simultaneously prying the door open with my finger tips. I took the car to the dealership and they said they adjusted the spring tension. Hopefully, it stays fixed.

It's another crappy design from Hyundai/Kia from what I've seen.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Replace the door opener thing.. overall crappy design,, the pin breaks in middle if I recall

Difficult to open without breaking door, but it can be done,, 2 people work best
Sounds like this here described is the issue. If the pin breaks in the middle then no button or cable or anything is going to work.

Maybe some real finesse can get it open with breakage of the door.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've been having this problem for awhile. It was on and off. Now it never opens with the button. I always have to pull the cord in the trunk. I'll have to take a good look at the assembly to see if there is anything obvious.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I had to adjust the spring clip tension on my Gen Coupe. If you can hear the door solenoid working it's probably the spring. After removing and adjusting it I can see where I could do this as long as the door is open as you can see the spring buried back in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts