Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's available in two engine sizes , 1.8 L and 2.0 L and the difference is around 30 horsepower between the two engines. My question is if a person would actually notice a difference of 30 horsepower ?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yes, you will notice 30hp. Is it going to be push you into the seat kinda difference? Prob not, but I'm sure passing, etc., will be easier and less strain on the motor.

·
22,793 Posts
^^^ What they said. Try it for yourself. Tell the dealer you would like to test drive both for comparison, the '13 & '14. See how each one impresses your senses. Or which one does not impress you. Check off that concern from your list.

Pour out .2 of a liter of liquid into a glass. Not a lot, is it? That equates to the TOTAL amount of extra volume you have inside that engine... But, we're not done, yet. You'll need to take that .2 of a liter you just poured, and divide it by 4, representing the 4 cylinders. Amazing how that minute of a difference and tiny amount can affect overall horsepower/torque performance.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
The only person not likely to notice the difference is the hapless pedestrian you might hit.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I forgot mention that the salesman said that the sport is considerable faster. Well not really "faster" but definitely more fun if u pedal it.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
It's just a shame you can't get the M/T in the coupe any longer, what's up with their bean counters anyway? A coupe is where a M/T belongs!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Don't blame the bean counters, blame consumer demand. People no longer want a car that requires thought to operate. They want something automated so they can go back to Starbucks-powered facebooking, instagramming, tweeting, antisocial bliss.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
It's available in two engine sizes , 1.8 L and 2.0 L and the difference is around 30 horsepower between the two engines. My question is if a person would actually notice a difference of 30 horsepower ?
Just to clarify - the coupe and the GT are ONLY available with the 2.0 Engine. The Sedan in Sport Trim has the 2.0. The 1.8 is only available on the SE and Limited Sedans.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2014 Limited with Nav, the 2L is considerably more "peppy" than the previous. Was on the fence about getting the 2013 due to 0% interest, but all the new features in the 2014 convinced me it was the better deal. Not disappointed in the 2L for the most part...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
a lot has to do with the gearing and the engine tuning. numbers don't mean much when you read articles of companies building 2.0L 4 bangers pumping out 450+ HP... as they mentioned, you need to drive it to get a feel for it.

there are so many factors involved, most people not only don't even realize it, they wouldn't even notice.

to name a few:
1) Engine tuning
2) Transmission type
3) Transmission tuning
4) suspension
5) driver
6) roads

and the list goes on.

I'd say drive them both, and better yet, report back and let us know what you think! :D

·
Registered
740 Posts
Don't blame the bean counters, blame consumer demand. People no longer want a car that requires thought to operate. They want something automated so they can go back to Starbucks-powered facebooking, instagramming, tweeting, antisocial bliss.
Sad thing is that it is only in America. Especially super liberial Portland lol

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a 2014 Limited with Nav, the 2L is considerably more "peppy" than the previous. Was on the fence about getting the 2013 due to 0% interest, but all the new features in the 2014 convinced me it was the better deal. Not disappointed in the 2L for the most part...
So glad you chose the 2014 and not the unlucky '13 model.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
please dont shoot me. But I'm a starbucks man myself. not for the fancy coffees though. Primarily for the Bold brews. I'm a sucker for a strong coffee thats always brewed to perfection.

aside from that, we have tim hortons here, and unfortunately franchisers loose consistency by savings costs.

and thats all you'll hear from me on the matter (I dont want to highjack the thread... lol)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Hmm, I was going to say it was a 2.0L thing, but the GT and the Sport come standard with manuals with the optional auto - too bad it's not the DCT though. Really weird that the same transmission option would be on the Coupe. Sometimes Hyundai's lack of certain separate options in lieu of these packages is a huge PITA and actually makes other manufacturers' choices more attractive.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I think the rework of the Sedan interior is a big highlight for the 2014 model. It's a lot like the 2013 GT interior, which I find to be much more pleasing than my 2013 Sedan was.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts