Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place. I searched for someone with a similar problem to no avail. But anyways..

My wifes 14 elantra gt (98k miles) just started to have some power issues and the cam sensor needed changed. That was easy enough, Took away the nasty ticking and cleared the check engine light!

When I took the car to have the codes read I got the cam positioning sensor code and 3 other codes for what I am assuming to be the O2 sensor before the cat. But now them codes are gone and the car is performing terribly! It has very little power and before I give it to a mechanic I wanna try and figure it out myself!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,616 Posts
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
You need to help us to help you.
What were the codes that were logged, and why did you choose to deal with the one that mentioned the cam sensor and ignore the other 3.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What were the codes that were logged, and why did you choose to deal with the one that mentioned the cam sensor and ignore the other 3.

Help you help me? Ok. Lemme do my best here! The code was P00420 (or something along them lines) I chose to fix the cam positioning sensor because of obvious reasons.. Its stupid easy to replace and when I got done all codes were clear! Meaning, there was no longer any codes pointing to "Bank 1 o2 sensor" anymore!

I have a long history of automobiles under my belt and on more than one occasion o2 sensor codes were cleared when other issues were fixed meaning the o2 sensor error codes were false to begin with! This was my thinking when I ran the ODB test after repairing the cam sensor. The car did run flawlessly for a day or two!

Now can you explain to me how that helps you? I found these forums during my searches today. Trying to find anyone or many people who have had these issues and so far I'm only finding the obvious answers ie start here, end up here hopefully somewhere in the middle, I find the fix! Not exactly how I wanna spend money.

So do I go and replace the o2 sensors and hope that fixes the problem? Because according to 3 computers, there is no problem but the car falls on its face when you push the gas peddle in and it struggles to keep 40mph when going up small hills!

And lemme add, No the brakes aren't sticking and the e-brake is not on! (lol)

Thanks for your reply! :)

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,616 Posts
I found these forums during my searches today. Trying to find anyone or many people who have had these issues and so far I'm only finding the obvious answers ie start here, end up here hopefully somewhere in the middle, I find the fix!
So, what is it that your expecting from an internet forum? Did you think someone could read your opening post and know from that exactly what your problem was and what part you'd need to replace? If that's what your looking for you've come to the wrong place.

Random Noob said:
Now can you explain to me how that helps you?
Well, it gives us an idea about what the problem might be which then gives us a sensible place to start our diagnosis. But it sounds like you just want an answer without actually doing any diagnosis. Sorry, but I can't help you if that's the case.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sounds like it jumped timing, the cam 'phaser' is at full retard, or you got a defective sensor. The O2 light came on because the cams were out so much they caused excess fuel to go by the sensor, setting it off. When you changed the sensor and the codes went away, its because the fuel flow was changed in some way. Basically what I am getting from this, is that you had this problem, with a check engine light, you replaced the sensor, and the lights out, but the car is still running the same. correct?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like it jumped timing, the cam 'phaser' is at full retard, or you got a defective sensor. The O2 light came on because the cams were out so much they caused excess fuel to go by the sensor, setting it off. When you changed the sensor and the codes went away, its because the fuel flow was changed in some way. Basically what I am getting from this, is that you had this problem, with a check engine light, you replaced the sensor, and the lights out, but the car is still running the same. correct?

Yes. The car is still running the same! But I noticed something yesterday. When I start the car is makes a **** of a racket in the back of the car. Fuel pump maybe? It does act as if its starving for fuel. But I think I am just going to say the **** with it and give it to a shop and let them sort it out! I don't think I can fix the car if it jumped timing.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Now we are getting somewhere. Noise at the rear of the car and it acts like starving fuel? That could very well set off all the problems, and your sensor change simply was another symptom, along with the O2 and cat code. Fuel pump would definitely cause your lack of power. The lights set off by the engine trying to compensate and can’t do it. Now that we know this, it’s all becomes clearer. .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now we are getting somewhere. Noise at the rear of the car and it acts like starving fuel? That could very well set off all the problems, and your sensor change simply was another symptom, along with the O2 and cat code. Fuel pump would definitely cause your lack of power. The lights set off by the engine trying to compensate and can’t do it. Now that we know this, it’s all becomes clearer. .

I had my wife drive a different vehicle the past few days and I didn't notice the noise when I first made the forum post and quite frankly didn't even consider the fuel pump because the car still has under 100k miles! But when I got into it yesterday and fired it up, The noise was loud. Sounded like something was rolling around in the trunk. I've never experienced fuel pump failure like this in my time. They've always just stopped working!

Appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
861 Posts
Since the fuel pump is solid mounted to the tank, and tank to car, noise gets amplified. Perhaps bearing in it is bad? I had a Kia spectra pump get weak on me once, would only allow the car to barely idle, starting was a bear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out its not the fuel pump. The noise I was hearing on cold starts was the muffler banging around back there because the cat is clogged! I took it up to a muffler shop this afternoon and they did their thing, Discovered the problem. Should be fixed this week (fingers crossed nothing else is wrong)

Explains why it has no power, Explains why it still starts. I've never experienced a fuel pump dying, they've always just died!

I'll let you know if this was in fact the culprit! Thanks again

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
30 second search of a P00420 states an efficient cat. Since you have changed the pre O2, check for an exhaust leak. But odds are the cat is bad. Question is, what killed it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts