Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi every Elantra GT owner out there . I owned a 2014 Elantra GT since 2014 . The car comes with the tech package ( Leather , panoramic sunroof , premium stereo with NAV system...)
My car had the rear wheels handling issue and I took care of that back in 2014 by replaced them with the KYB shocks . That was the best $ 100 upgrade investment for my car because it totally transformed it and has given the car the driving confidence on the twisted and mountainous roads . As of 10/2019 my car has about 55K miles on the odometer .
I now have two issues and hope someone out there can give me a good advice .
First , to turn up a notch on the handling I would like to replace the front shocks with the good after-market shocks but there seem to be none available . Is there one made out there ?
Second , I going to need to replace the car battery ( the car is 5.5 years old ) but every shops I have inquired , they all followed the book and tried to sell me a phisically smaller battery H5 ( 650 CCA , 100 min reserve RC ) . But the H6 is phisically exact match to the OEM ( But is rated at 730 CCA instead of 600 CCA OEM stock , 115 RC ) and because the book calls for an H5 they can only install an H5 . the H6 is same size ( I took the measures ) and same polarity location . Should I get the H6 for a little extra robust capacity ? They both cost the same .

·
Registered
844 Posts
If I had the option of 2 batteries physically the same, same price but one had a greater capacity, I'd go for the lager capacity so long as it was as good a quality and warranty.

I'm running with purely 2014 GT Elantra, no other specs given and KYB site suggests these but also says available 3rd qtr. We have these available over here.

Maybe contact KYB and ask the question.

LHF 3340149
RHF 3340148
Rears 554384 ( gas- a - just) or Excel-G 349184

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had the option of 2 batteries physically the same, same price but one had a greater capacity, I'd go for the lager capacity so long as it was as good a quality and warranty.

I'm running with purely 2014 GT Elantra, no other specs given and KYB site suggests these but also says available 3rd qtr. We have these available over here.

Maybe contact KYB and ask the question.

LHF 3340149
RHF 3340148
Rears 554384 ( gas- a - just) or Excel-G 349184

Thanks Gerard 2 . I has been waiting for these since 2014 .

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
If the physical size is the same but capacity is different look for the number of plates. There may be more plates to increase the capacity, if not then it is battery design or acid strength that will be the reason for the larger capacity.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I ran into the same thing when I changed the battery in my '14. The dealer literally would not sell me the H6 battery because it wasn't called out in the computer. After spending a few minutes trying to explain to the guy behind the counter that excess CCA would not hurt the car, that voltage and sufficient CCA were what mattered, I gave up and went down the road and bought an Interstate battery. Been in there for over a year, no issues. And the negative battery cable reaches without being stretched full length, as it did with the original battery.

I joked with a buddy that the Interstate H6 I put in there has so many cranking amps that if the starter ever locks up the whole car will just start rotating. :)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
The CCA is very important for cranking purposes as well as passive current drain on modern cars but 730cca is a very big battery and will it last any longer than the lower one. I don't think so.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
At issue here is that the freeze shield that comes with the vehicle is for an H6 size battery, not an H5. Also, the battery tray fits the H6. Will not fit the size of the H5 and could allow the battery to move side to side. Make sure the securing clamp is properly installed and tight.

·
Registered
849 Posts
At issue here is that the freeze shield that comes with the vehicle is for an H6 size battery, not an H5. Also, the battery tray fits the H6. Will not fit the size of the H5 and could allow the battery to move side to side. Make sure the securing clamp is properly installed and tight.
are you sure about H6 being the std size?

for general interest, I just replaced my battery in my 2013 GT after 7 years ownership. The size bought (and recommended) was H5 and it fit perfectly the shield that went around it and the base tray clamp down. It also matched the old one size as well.
Decent battery for $109 CDN too

Kirkland Signature Automotive Battery (from Costco Canada)
Group Size: H5, Fitment Code 32 (I assume that has to do with the terminal positions)
Battery Specifications:
Cold Cranking Amps – 650
Cranking Amps – 810
Reserve Capacity – 100
Amp Hours – 54

Warranty:
0-48 months - Full refund based on purchase price
49-66 months - 50% refund based on purchase price
67-100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price (over 8 years of warranty coverage)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Yep, mine was an H6 originally, but at the cranking amps of the current H5. The dealer parts guy (not a technician) refused to sell me the H6 size higher cranking amp battery because his computer showed it had to be an H5 case. Never mind that I could show him what was in the vehicle, the computer is always right. :rolleyes:

I installed Interstate MTP-48/H6 730CCA. Which is interesting as Interstate's database also shows the car came with an H5 case size. I checked with the shop lead at the dealership and he indicated that the originals were H6 case size, H5 performance spec. Must be a Korean thing. Electrically, either will work. All originals on the '14 EGT sold in NA were flooded, not AGM.

And the battery for daughters '16 Elantra SE sedan is one of those AGM batteries and cost over $200, $260 at a dealer.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Part Number: MTP-48/H6
Group Size: H6
Cold Cranking Amps: 730
Cranking Amps: 910
(RC) Min @ 25 Amp: 115
Amp Hours (Ah) @ 20 Hr: 70
Length: 11
Width: 6 15/16
Height: 7 1/2

The "Tim Taylor" of Elantra GT batteries. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
are you sure about H6 being the std size?

for general interest, I just replaced my battery in my 2013 GT after 7 years ownership. The size bought (and recommended) was H5 and it fit perfectly the shield that went around it and the base tray clamp down. It also matched the old one size as well.
Decent battery for $109 CDN too

Kirkland Signature Automotive Battery (from Costco Canada)
Group Size: H5, Fitment Code 32 (I assume that has to do with the terminal positions)
Battery Specifications:
Cold Cranking Amps – 650
Cranking Amps – 810
Reserve Capacity – 100
Amp Hours – 54

Warranty:
0-48 months - Full refund based on purchase price
49-66 months - 50% refund based on purchase price
67-100 months - 25% refund based on purchase price (over 8 years of warranty coverage)
did u get them to do the install at costco?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts