Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so there is a consistent squeal that happens when I push on the gas. As soon as I let up, the squeal stops, so it doesn't seem to be tied to the RPMs which makes me think it's not the crankshaft pulley. However, the squeal only happens when moving. If I'm in P or N, it doesn't squeal (for the most part), but when I'm moving, it squeals every time I give it some gas.

I changed the serp belt, so that's not it. Everyone tells me it sounds like an idlwr pulley but my diagram shows only 4 pulleys: A/C, Alternator, Water Pump & Crankshaft. There doesn't seem to be an idler pulley.

Is it possible that it's my water pump pulley which doubles as an idler or something? The sound is coming from either the water pump or the alternator.

This car is weird sometimes. Like, I don't even know how the power steering works with out having a pulley like most other cars.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Are you sure it is a belt squeal? Is the belt at the proper adjustment? Yes, it could come from water pump pulley or A/C. Even an alternator with a bad bearing can squeal. Remove belt and rotate each pulley to feel for roughness, or extreme looseness. Check main crank pulley to ensure vibration damp er rubber is still good, and hasn’t shifted. If it has, you’ll see it.
as for the power steering, it does not use a power steering pump, hence no PS pulley. Instead it uses electric motor to assist.

·
Registered
253 Posts
With the hood up and someone revving the engine to produce the squealing sound, spray a little water on the inside of the belt [caution near a moving belt] and see if the sound changes. If it does, the sound is related to the grip the belt has on the pulleys. Maybe the belt is simply old or contaminated with oil/dirt or a pulley is seizing and the belt is slipping around the pulley.
It does this more when you drive as opposed to sitting in neutral and revving it up. Perhaps under load [driving] increased vacuum is pulling air in somewhere and a split hose or something is making a squealing sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure it is a belt squeal? Is the belt at the proper adjustment? Yes, it could come from water pump pulley or A/C. Even an alternator with a bad bearing can squeal. Remove belt and rotate each pulley to feel for roughness, or extreme looseness. Check main crank pulley to ensure vibration damp er rubber is still good, and hasn’t shifted. If it has, you’ll see it.
as for the power steering, it does not use a power steering pump, hence no PS pulley. Instead it uses electric motor to assist.
Does my car have an idler pulley? Is my water pump pulley also the idler pulley? Can one pulley be both things?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Your car does not have an idler pulley as this configuration does not need one. Nor does it use a belt tensioner as the alternator position is used to adjust belt tension.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your car does not have an idler pulley as this configuration does not need one. Nor does it use a belt tensioner as the alternator position is used to adjust belt tension.
So should I try to tighten the belt? How much play should the belt have? How tight should it be?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don't have the specs with me, but a good ballpark is tighten until you can only twist the longest section of the belt 45 degrees.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have seen this issue before. Did the noise change at all after the belt was changed? If the noise is the same, not the belt. Check to see if the sound changes with the A/C on and off. As suggested above, remove the belt and turn each pulley by hand (except the crankshaft unless you are superman) feeling for any roughness or drag. If all seem good, with the engine off spray a little belt dressing on the inside (ribbed) and outside of the belt. See if the noise changes.

I have seen Gates brand belts do this where the ribbing is continuous. Goodyear makes a belt that has ribbing with crosshatching. It keeps debris from collecting in the ribs of the belt and grooves of the pulleys. Fought this one for a couple of days before we figured out the new Gates belt was the cause.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts