Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a common issue? I have 82,000km on it. 2 months ago when I started the car up, the engine was making a noticeable ticking sound. Once the car was warm, the sound wasn't that obvious. As the engine was warming up, hitting the throttle made the ticking sound worse. I live in Canada, so I'm not sure if the cold temperatures have something to do with it.

For a 2 months, I was having starting issues. Then when I was driving on the highway, for some odd reason the car was stuck at 4,000rpm and wouldn't go any further. A check engine light came on. So I plugged the OBD scanner and got a cylinder 4 misfire. Brought it to the dealership and got cylinder 4 coil replaced. Also all 4 spark plugs replaced. After all that, the ticking sound is still noticeable when sitting idle or hitting the throttle. I also did a oil change 3 weeks ago at the dealership. My guess is the lifters making the ticking sound. However, the mechanic wasn't able to 'hear' the ticking sound when I got the cylinder 4 coil replaced this past weekend. What do you all think? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this a common issue? I have 82,000km on it. 2 months ago when I started the car up, the engine was making a noticeable ticking sound. Once the car was warm, the sound wasn't that obvious. As the engine was warming up, hitting the throttle made the ticking sound worse. I live in Canada, so I'm not sure if the cold temperatures have something to do with it.

For a 2 months, I was having starting issues. Then when I was driving on the highway, for some odd reason the car was stuck at 4,000rpm and wouldn't go any further. A check engine light came on. So I plugged the OBD scanner and got a cylinder 4 misfire. Brought it to the dealership and got cylinder 4 coil replaced. Also all 4 spark plugs replaced. After all that, the ticking sound is still noticeable when sitting idle or hitting the throttle. I also did a oil change 3 weeks ago at the dealership. My guess is the lifters making the ticking sound. However, the mechanic wasn't able to 'hear' the ticking sound when I got the cylinder 4 coil replaced this past weekend. What do you all think? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I have a 15 Elantra with 100k miles on it. It’s had the “Hyundai lifter tick” since 35k. All of my coils have been replaced as well as the plugs. I think they just have noisy lifters when cold. Every Elantra I’ve heard is that way after the engine is broken in. Make sure your using Hyundai oil filters they have an anti drain back valve in them to help keep oil in the top of the engine. My engine has a noticeable tick when cold but it goes away after it warms up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The 1.8L will tick when first started. You are hearing the timing chain. Hyundai tech explained that the tensioner is both spring loaded and oil pressure activated. That way there is some slack on the cams when the engine is off, but tightens the chain up when the oil pressure comes up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 1.8L will tick when first started. You are hearing the timing chain. Hyundai tech explained that the tensioner is both spring loaded and oil pressure activated. That way there is some slack on the cams when the engine is off, but tightens the chain up when the oil pressure comes up.

Oil pressure comes up seconds after you start it. Chain slap sounds much different than lifter tick. My versa had chain slap, my Elantra had chain slap when I started it when I had to use a non Hyundai filter without the check valve. Mines is clearly lifter tick, and sounds exactly what he’s describing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 15 Elantra with 100k miles on it. It’s had the “Hyundai lifter tick” since 35k. All of my coils have been replaced as well as the plugs. I think they just have noisy lifters when cold. Every Elantra I’ve heard is that way after the engine is broken in. Make sure your using Hyundai oil filters they have an anti drain back valve in them to help keep oil in the top of the engine. My engine has a noticeable tick when cold but it goes away after it warms up.

I was just worried the lifters was an issue due to the sound. Hopefully when summer comes the ticking sound to the lifters either go away... or is much quieter. Not sure if this caused the ticking sound to the lifters... but the past few oil changes (maybe 5), I put regular oil into the engine. Yes I know... I shouldn't of. Few weeks ago when I did do the oil change, they also installed the OEM oil filter. I told them to put the factory oil into the car. They put full synthetic oil. The ticking sound did calm down a bit, but not much. Not sure if the lifters was having a hard time with the regular thicker oil. For now on, I'll keep putting full synthetic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This past weekend when I brought the car in for a coil replacement... I told the guy at the desk about the ticking sound and I believe it was the lifters. He responded with, "could be piston slap." Not sure how true that is... If the lifters are still 'ticking' during summer, should I be worried about it? Or should I just keep driving the vehicle until a check engine light comes up? I assume the vehicles computer would pick up error codes if there was issues with the lifters no?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This past weekend when I brought the car in for a coil replacement... I told the guy at the desk about the ticking sound and I believe it was the lifters. He responded with, "could be piston slap." Not sure how true that is... If the lifters are still 'ticking' during summer, should I be worried about it? Or should I just keep driving the vehicle until a check engine light comes up? I assume the vehicles computer would pick up error codes if there was issues with the lifters no?

If it’s under warranty have them fix it if not I’d wait. New short block is 1300$ US plus labor which would fix it if it’s the pistons. If your going to have to pay out of pocket I would wait as long as possible. If the pistons are going out it will get louder then run rough then start stalling then not start at all. Not much to do about lifters beside have them replaced and the head re machined. I honestly think it just a trait of the engine but the early models were plagued with bad pistons.

I’m just waiting to find out what my engine is going to do. mines not supposed to have the piston problem, hyundai supposedly changed something. but it’s noisy when cold and is getting blow by and a slight miss at idle I can’t get rid of. Honestly thinking about trading it in on a scat pack charger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If it’s under warranty have them fix it if not I’d wait. New short block is 1300$ US plus labor which would fix it if it’s the pistons. If your going to have to pay out of pocket I would wait as long as possible. If the pistons are going out it will get louder then run rough then start stalling then not start at all. Not much to do about lifters beside have them replaced and the head re machined. I honestly think it just a trait of the engine but the early models were plagued with bad pistons.

I’m just waiting to find out what my engine is going to do. mines not supposed to have the piston problem, hyundai supposedly changed something. but it’s noisy when cold and is getting blow by and a slight miss at idle I can’t get rid of. Honestly thinking about trading it in on a scat pack charger.

Hopefully it's not a piston issue. The dude at the desk didn't seem concerned when he said, "it might be piston slap." Me and my gf share the vehicle. She babies it so I can't see a piston issue. I personally think it's the lifters being noisy like you mentioned. My guess is these small engines become a bit noisy after as they age... The mechanic didn't seem to hear anything this past weekend. So I guess it's not a problem (yet) lol. I'll have to wait and see once the warm weather comes within a month. If the lifters are still noticeably loud... then I'll take the car in and have the dealership check it out. The 5 year warranty is up next year sometime. Which is perfect timing because summer of this year should give me the answers I need. *Crosses my fingers* there is no issues with the engine. A engine rebuild is a pain in the ass... lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone tried Seafoam to try and calm the ticking noise? Just curious. Been seeing that product around, but never tried it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I had not heard that the 1.8L had a piston slap issue. It certainly isn't as bad as the early GM 6.0L. That beast would run for a long time, but always sounded like it was ready to launch a rod through the block.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I tried Marvel Mystery oil in mine and it did nothing. My engine was SPOTLESS when the "Hyundai Tick of Death " terminally infected it @14,000 miles. Oil changes with synthetic oil after 3,000 break-in ( with an oil dump at 800 mile mark to get the higher metallic break-in oil out) and at 4,000 mile intervals since it was a short trip car at the time. You looked inside the valve cover and there was no hint of any varnishing. It looked like a new motor.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hopefully it's not a piston issue. The dude at the desk didn't seem concerned when he said, "it might be piston slap." Me and my gf share the vehicle. She babies it so I can't see a piston issue. I personally think it's the lifters being noisy like you mentioned. My guess is these small engines become a bit noisy after as they age... The mechanic didn't seem to hear anything this past weekend. So I guess it's not a problem (yet) lol. I'll have to wait and see once the warm weather comes within a month. If the lifters are still noticeably loud... then I'll take the car in and have the dealership check it out. The 5 year warranty is up next year sometime. Which is perfect timing because summer of this year should give me the answers I need. *Crosses my fingers* there is no issues with the engine. A engine rebuild is a pain in the ass... lol

With mine, I could of sworn it was lifters too. Years ago I owned a hobby Audi repair shop so I have some clue about cars. It took me 3 times for Hyundai to admit what the problem was to me. I kept bringing it back and they kept telling me it was normal sound. I said you keep the car until you can fix my lifter problem and then the same day I dropped it off when I told them I don't want it back until it is fixed( I had a spare car at the time, so I could do that move) they called me back saying it was a piston issue and I was going to get a new motor. I demanded a long block because I thought it was a lifter issue and I did not want back the bad lifters.

I now think the lifter issue is caused by the debris of the piston issue. Because I used my stethoscope noise finder and it defiantly was bad lifters.

NOW on every oil change I am doing an oil analysis at my local Caterpillar dealer and I am running Redline, Amsoil or Mobil 1 depending on my mood. I went with Redline early on in it's 7,000 mile life to get the Moly and the "oil to internal parts loving" group 5 Ester on the pistons with a new motor on start up. I will go back to Mobil 1 after a couple more Amsoil fills because of cost.

I don't trust Hyundai fixed the issue since I have read a couple of Elantra owners have received engine #2 under warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There was an earlier post sayn that , the earlier models were plagued with bad piztons. What years were those? My daughter has a 2013 Elantra sedan and it has a tick that 80% goes away when warmed up for a couple mins on a cold start. I thought these cars were bullet proof?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
There was an earlier post sayn that , the earlier models were plagued with bad piztons. What years were those? My daughter has a 2013 Elantra sedan and it has a tick that 80% goes away when warmed up for a couple mins on a cold start. I thought these cars were bullet proof?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, there are problems with models 2011 to 2015.. 2013 is the worst!

By the way, I met today in the parking lot at the grocery somebody with a 2013 Elantra with the ticking engine. I heard the noise, recognized it as mine does exactly the same noise, so I went to speak with the owner. She had the same reaction I head when people stop me because of the noise of the engine... Was like a group therapy in the middle of the parking lot!!! Funny you may say, or pathetic.. it depends how you see it.

Welcome to the club ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Toronto was hit with cold temperature and freezing rain this past weekend. Yesterday I left the car sit almost all day in the cold weather all day before I started it up. So the ticking noise pretty much does go away once the car is warmed up while idling. I'm curious to see how the engine will act once the summer weather hits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts