Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2013 Coupe with a 6 speed manual and love it. I was building a 2014 Coupe today at Hyundai's website and noticed it's only offered in automatic now - does anybody know why?

Just thought it was weird as the regular Elantra (and GT) is still offered with a manual transmission - you would think the coupe/"sporty" version would be as well. The Accent and Veloster still have manual options, too. It looks like it was only removed on the Coupe.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I've tried searching!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Because there aren't enough people who want it and the less variations there are in production the cheaper the vehicles are to make. The Elantra is far from sporty...Not to say manuals aren't inherently more fun than automatics... They're probably gone. I work at a Hyundai dealership and I haven't seen a single manual coupe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because there aren't enough people who want it and the less variations there are in production the cheaper the vehicles are to make. The Elantra is far from sporty...Not to say manuals aren't inherently more fun than automatics... They're probably gone. I work at a Hyundai dealership and I haven't seen a single manual coupe.
Yeah, you're right.

I've had my 2013 since August 2012 and since then I've probably seen maybe 20-30 of them out on the road (Connecticut.) They don't seem that popular here, but I love mine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, you're right.

I've had my 2013 since August 2012 and since then I've probably seen maybe 20-30 of them out on the road (Connecticut.) They don't seem that popular here, but I love mine.
I rarely see a coupe here in AZ, but I feel special for having a car that no one drives. But as for the four door version, they are everywhere!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah...same here. I see the four doors all over the city and all over the lot, haha. We only have two Elantra Coupes on our lot. I don't usually see any Elantra Coupes anywhere. Lol.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Sedans are always more popular than coupes because they are more practical for families. Thing is a coupe works for me because I usually never have more than one passenger and I really didn't want another sedan. I'm just glad I got one with the M/T as there's no way I want another A/T.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
each time I go to my dealer and look at the cars in the show room, coupes are always manual. I see lots here. I'm glad manuals won't die soon here in Quebec, young ones prefer manuals. I just found out you may be right, the Coupe is no longer offered with a manual; the 2014 Elantra GT can still be equipped with a six-speed manual or automatic transmission, the 2014 Elantra Coupe drops the option for a manual transmission; it also appears that the Elantra Sport sedan will come solely with the automatic. see this article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/20/2014-hyundai-elantra-la-2013/

·
Registered
870 Posts

·
22,793 Posts
I agree. For as long as I can remember, the coupe has always personified "manual" transmissions. It was the standard offering from OEM's of the 60's. Most teenager's (and I was one of them) wouldn't be caught dead cruising the streets in an automatic. Just wasn't done. The biggest mod back then was chopping a hole into the floorboard to install a Hurst or Fenton floor shifter with a big ol' knob on the top. Nothing sounds better than squealing tires echoing in the distance and the smell of burning rubber permeating the atmosphere. The clutch was "King!" (So were drag racing citations, LOL)

Looks like the end of an era looms on the horizon. Maybe the world's clutch and standard transmission lobbyists will come to the rescue. Or increased sales demand will save it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I agree. For as long as I can remember, the coupe has always personified "manual" transmissions. It was the standard offering from OEM's of the 60's. Most teenager's (and I was one of them) wouldn't be caught dead cruising the streets in an automatic. Just wasn't done. The biggest mod back then was chopping a hole into the floorboard to install a Hurst or Fenton floor shifter with a big ol' knob on the top. Nothing sounds better than squealing tires echoing in the distance and the smell of burning rubber permeating the atmosphere. The clutch was "King!" (So were drag racing citations, LOL)

Looks like the end of an era looms on the horizon. Maybe the world's clutch and standard transmission lobbyists will come to the rescue. Or increased sales demand will save it.
"I get pushed outta' shape and it's hard to steer, when I get rubber in all four gears"

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
For better or worse - the end of the era was the 80's or 90's when Porsche announced it was selling more cars (by a large margin) with automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Back in the early '60's, before I could drive, my father let me learn to clutch in the driveway on his company cars, Larks, Falcons, and Chevy IIs. I'd repeatedly drive up the hill from the turnaround and back on down. Good training. I'd hate to see manuals disappear, though I haven't had one since an '85 Jetta. The boss can't drive them, and I guess I really don't want to anymore, either. Such a pain in traffic.

Geoff

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
My favorite quote was from the comments:

All (4) of my personal cars are manuals. Living in North America (Canada), almost nobody knows how (or is too lazy to) drive a standard so nobody ever asks me to drive any of my cars.

Also, from a safety concern, automatics should be the only thing that North Americans are allowed to drive as most are too busy eating, drinking, phoning or texting to be able to devote the concentration required of using a manual gearbox. Best let them bumble along in ignorant bliss in their mindless automatics as that alone tests the limit of their meager reserve of attention to the real act of driving.

The rest of the world however is quite happy to enjoy the freedom and pleasure derived from driving while using their skill in changing gears themselves!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
In most of the world except for the US and Canada the M/T ratios are much higher - anywhere from 50% to like 70% of cars sold are equipped with M/T compared to 3 or 4% here. I would hope anyone visiting abroad would be able to drive a stick shift but I suppose even rental companies overseas would likely offer an auto for the odd American or Canadian tourist.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts