Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original press release for the 2014 Azera noted as one of the highlights, refined steering feel and precision. I have asked Hyundai Customer Relations, local dealers and on the Hyundai Facebook page and no one knows what the changes were. This has also been brought up in several topics here on the forum. So, I have asked the original writer of the press release to check his source and let me know exactly what was changed for 2014 regarding steering. I will post his reply when I get it.

If anyone has had the opportunity to test drive a 2013 and 2014 Azera back-to-back, it would be interesting to know if you felt any difference in steering. This should be done with models having the same size tires. I know most test drives probably don't give you the opportunity to really test steering, especially if the difference is subtle. I plan on test driving both models later this month, so I will let you know if I feel any difference.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did check the alignment specifications and spring sizes for the 2013 and 2014 Azeras and they are identical, so the changes in steering feel are not related to alignment differences.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Does the 2014 have user adjustable steering feel? (The new Sonatas do)
The refinement may the adjust-ability.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The original press release for the 2014 Azera noted as one of the highlights, refined steering feel and precision. I have asked Hyundai Customer Relations, local dealers and on the Hyundai Facebook page and no one knows what the changes were. This has also been brought up in several topics here on the forum. So, I have asked the original writer of the press release to check his source and let me know exactly what was changed for 2014 regarding steering. I will post his reply when I get it.

If anyone has had the opportunity to test drive a 2013 and 2014 Azera back-to-back, it would be interesting to know if you felt any difference in steering. This should be done with models having the same size tires. I know most test drives probably don't give you the opportunity to really test steering, especially if the difference is subtle. I plan on test driving both models later this month, so I will let you know if I feel any difference.
Thanks, MrVivona, please keep us informed on what you find out. I'm still disappointed in the "straight ahead" steering of my 2012. In fact, I have found that at increased speeds of 75 and 80 my steering wheel has more play requiring increasing input to keep the car from "wandering". However, the confusing thing is that if I let go of the steering wheel, the car tracks straight for a reasonable amount of time!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks, MrVivona, please keep us informed on what you find out. I'm still disappointed in the "straight ahead" steering of my 2012. In fact, I have found that at increased speeds of 75 and 80 my steering wheel has more play requiring increasing input to keep the car from "wandering". However, the confusing thing is that if I let go of the steering wheel, the car tracks straight for a reasonable amount of time!
I had a very similar problem. If i held the steering wheel dead center the car would track to the right. If instead i let go of the steering wheel it would drive straight. It was as if the steering wheel was not set accurately. At first the dealer did a wheel alignment. No improvement. Then they told me that they found nothing wrong. I complained to the service manger and told him to drive it on the highway and hold the steering wheel locked at the 12:00 position and you will see that the car tracks to the right. The car doesn't pull or drift. It simply tracks to the right. If it did have a pull or drifting issue, it would do the same when I let go of the steering wheel but it doesn't. He said he now understood from my explanation it isn't an alignment issue, but rather the steering would just need to be "reset". Whether this meant a software or firmware update … i don't know. All i know is that the car now tracks dead center whether you hold the steering wheel or not. Just like the German VW "CC"! (But, a lot more reliable mechanically.) Hope this info is helpful.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I had a very similar problem. If i held the steering wheel dead center the car would track to the right. If instead i let go of the steering wheel it would drive straight. It was as if the steering wheel was not set accurately. At first the dealer did a wheel alignment. No improvement. Then they told me that they found nothing wrong. I complained to the service manger and told him to drive it on the highway and hold the steering wheel locked at the 12:00 position and you will see that the car tracks to the right. The car doesn't pull or drift. It simply tracks to the right. If it did have a pull or drifting issue, it would do the same when I let go of the steering wheel but it doesn't. He said he now understood from my explanation it isn't an alignment issue, but rather the steering would just need to be "reset". Whether this meant a software or firmware update … i don't know. All i know is that the car now tracks dead center whether you hold the steering wheel or not. Just like the German VW "CC"! (But, a lot more reliable mechanically.) Hope this info is helpful.
Are there reliability issues with the CC? I've had great luck with VW over the years. Also love Hyundai as you might realize!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Are there reliability issues with the CC? I've had great luck with VW over the years. Also love Hyundai as you might realize!
Biggest problem for me with the CC is the difficulty getting in and out of it.
I would have to crawl in to get in the back seat. It's a big problem as you get older...... No problems with the Azera plus the interior is 10 times better than the CC

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
..... No problems with the Azera plus the interior is 10 times better than the CC
Agree with the interior comment. The Azera Leather quality is dramatically better than most anything in its class.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks, no dealer within 100 miles or so. Had a greater distance issue with my 2007 ES350 Lexus, decided it was too far to go for service. Anyway, I keep hoping this is just a software adjustment issue with the EPS. The rest of the car is just fine and on par with the '07 Lexus.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I received a reply from Hyundai public relations regarding the changes to the 2014 Azera steering. Unlike Hyundai customer service replies, this one was very specific and informative. Check it out:

Thanks for your question. For 2014, there were no hardware changes to the Azera steering/suspension. Subtle programming adjustments were made to the power assistance curves of the EPS steering system. These subtle changes are intended to give slightly more steering “feel” throughout the entire steering range. These were affected at the 2014 production level.

So, the suspension and steering is mechanically identical, but they made changes to the software programming to improve the feel of the steering. By "power assistance curves" they mean how much power is applied to the steering assist at different speeds and angles of the steering wheel. I am guessing they made it more similar to the Cadenza which has received better steering comments in journalistic reviews. Whether you can tell the difference unless you drive a 2013 and 2014 Azera back-to-back remains to be seen.

To answer jsmit86's question, according to the 2014 Azera Factory Service Manual, there is no user-adjustable steering feel. Your dealer can still use the Hyundai scan tool to access the software and set the steering assist at one of three levels. That has been discussed in this topic: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/266-h...era-steering-feel-adjustment.html#post1381682

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Thanks Mr. V! I am happy with mine the way it is, but it's interesting that some of the new models are user adjustable. I drove a Santa Fe that had this feature.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Mr. V! I am happy with mine the way it is, but it's interesting that some of the new models are user adjustable. I drove a Santa Fe that had this feature.
Then, again, my 1987 Mitsubishi had user-adjustable power steering. It also had speed-sensitive steering, available adjustable suspension, speed-sensitive intermittent windshield wipers, sequential port fuel injection, reclining back seats and an automatic transmission torque converter that locked up in every gear, features that didn't appear on other cars for many years, if at all. It also had a storage drawer under the passenger seat, in the rear center armrest and a hidden compartment in the center console. It was one of the best cars I ever owned. But, I digress...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just purchased a new 2013 Azera, and researched this forum and the web in general for information relating to the steering before purchase. I read MrVivona's post referencing the sonata steering thread and printed out the Sonata technical service bulletin sent to the dealers, but the technician (who was aware that the EPS adjustments could be made to Sonatas) said he tried, but the same steering calibration changes could not be made to the Azera.

I realize this may not apply to owners of 2014’s, but curious if anyone has heard of updates to software that allow these changes to be made to 2012 or 2013 models.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just purchased a new 2013 Azera, and researched this forum and the web in general for information relating to the steering before purchase. I read MrVivona's post referencing the sonata steering thread and printed out the Sonata technical service bulletin sent to the dealers, but the technician (who was aware that the EPS adjustments could be made to Sonatas) said he tried, but the same steering calibration changes could not be made to the Azera.

I realize this may not apply to owners of 2014’s, but curious if anyone has heard of updates to software that allow these changes to be made to 2012 or 2013 models.
First: Congrats on your new Azera! I also have 13' model. As far as I know, there were two TBS regarding the 12-13 year models. 1- ECU software update, including EPS upgrade, and 2 - recall for passenger side air bag sensor. I was informed on both issues by my dealer last year. But, since you just purchased a new car, all updates, recalls should be done before they sold the car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been experiencing the same problem since I picked up the car brand new (2014) with about 3 miles on it. The steering wheel had to be a bit crooked to the right when driving at high speeds for the car to go straight but the car didn't pull or drift if I let it go.

I brought it to a dealer who said that the whole steering column would have to be taken out but that sounded a little extreme so I said okay and took it to another dealer for a second opinion. This dealer did an alignment (according to him all the wheels were out of alignment) and it seemed better but on a long drive on the highway, I noticed that the problem was still present.

I took it to another dealer who did an alignment and guess what? Now the steering wheel is slightly crooked to the left! (not as bad as before but still noticeable). Took it back to the same dealer and they "couldn't replicate the problem" but they reset the steering. Problem still persists. I'm getting pretty tired of this and am considering filing for lemon law since there have been 3 attempts to fix it. I had to file it on my Mustang a few years ago because of a suspension issue and they had a special tech come out to my dealership and fix it for good but it's a hassle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If I understand you correctly, your steering wheel was not correctly set at center. Mine seems to be canted to the right. If I were to turn it straight to 12:00 a clock center my car would drift to the left. Are you saying that my problem may be related to the steering wheel not being centered? I have not presented that issue to my dealer...

·
Registered
44 Posts
If I let go of the steering wheel while driving down a straight road the car quickly drifts/pulls to the right. Even while driving regularly it seems that the car wants to go to the right and I have to hold the steering wheel slightly to the left in order to keep the car going straight. I was thinking this is an alignment issue?? Haven't been back to the dealer yet, is this covered under warranty?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts