Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the 2012 Azera was released, the press releases said they had Nappa leather. In looking over the 2014 Azera press releases and the information on the Hyundai website, I have found no mention of Nappa leather. I notice that the similar Cadenza lists Nappa leather as an upgrade for its most expensive trim level. Have they dropped Nappa leather from one of both trim levels for the 2014 Azera?

·
Registered
410 Posts
What the heck is Napa Leather anyway? Sort of reminds me of the Chrysler Cordoba, 1970's, which had Corinthian Leather which was just Chrysler's name for their leather. My 2013 Azera brochure makes no mention of Napa Leather that I can see. It does say 'premium leather', however.

·
22,788 Posts
What the heck is Napa Leather anyway? Sort of reminds me of the Chrysler Cordoba, 1970's, which had Corinthian Leather which was just Chrysler's name for their leather. My 2013 Azera brochure makes no mention of Napa Leather that I can see. It does say 'premium leather', however.
It was the tanned hides from real Corinthians. Unfortunately, no more Corinthians; they are extinct, now. Hence, no more Cordobas.

It's amazing the names these guys come up with to describe a product. Amazing. Wait until the "light-up-at-night, chrome-plated, butt wipers" arrive on the manufacturing scene.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From Wikipedia: Nappa leather or Napa leather is a leather, typically dyed, made from kid-,cow, calf lamb- or -other skin by tanning. It is noted for its soft temper. It is a generic term in the leather field and has no distinct test for characterization. Because of this ambiguity, the term is often used in advertising to imply that a leather has a soft hand. Among other uses, Napa leather is often used in leather products such as furniture, clothing, handbags, and shoes. As the term is used today, Napa Leather may be either full grain, or more likely, corrected grain.

Kia lists Nappa leather as a premium leather upgrade for their Cadenza, Optima and perhaps other models. Hyundai originally referred to the leather in the Azera as Nappa, but doesn't do that anymore. I'm trying to find if the Azera leather is like the standard Kia leather or is it like the premium Kia leather. In other words, did the Azera start out with the better leather, then downgrade it after the first year?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I don't know that the Azera has Nappa leather, but I can tell you the quality of the leather in my 2013 is one of key reasons I bought the car.

The leather is soft, and has a very luxurious feel to it. The quality seems very similar, if not identical to the leather in the Eqqus, and Genesis sedans.

·
Registered
213 Posts
When i traded my 2010 Sonata Limited for a 1012 Azera Limited, the difference in leather quality was remarkable. Much smoother, noticeably more comfortable.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My 06 Azera had leather but nothing like the leather I have in my 13 Azera. Very nice, soft easy to clean. Another reason I bought the Azera or Avalon, or the Acura.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
...... I'm trying to find if the Azera leather is like the standard Kia leather or is it like the premium Kia leather. In other words, did the Azera start out with the better leather, then downgrade it after the first year?
I tested a 2012 Azera before I purchases my 2013. I did not notice any difference.

·
Registered
472 Posts
All I know is this. I have driven many luxury cars over the past 40 years and the leather on the Azera is as good as most of them, nappa leather or not. The leather quality for a car in the low $30's is very good.

I will say this for any doubter's, time will tell how good the quality of the leather is. It is important to care for your leather both cleaning and conditioning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2012 Azera with the tech package, white with dark brown leather. The leather looks as good as the first day I drove it home. With 35000 miles on it I still get tons of compliments. Compared to the leather in the 2008 it is of much higher quality.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I asked Hyundai and got this response:

Please be advised from checking there is currently no information to support that the leather seats in the 2014 Azera are made of Nappa material, or otherwise any other premium dyed leather.

I also got this response from another Hyundai source:

Can you show us where you found that the 2012 Azera had "Nappa" leather? The current Azera does not have Nappa, nor did the 2012.

So I researched to find out where I had heard that the Azera had Nappa leather and it seems it actually does in other markets, but not in the US.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts