Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have owned my 2014 Azera (4 years) I have had issues with battery charging. I have put 2 new batteries in over the 4 years and I am still having issues with the battery not maintaining a full charge. Although I am retired and don't drive much (less than 400 mi a month), I would expect to have a charged battery most of the time. My wife drives her Corolla less than that and her battery does not have this issue. I even have a full charger plus a trickle charger that I use to keep the battery somewhat charged. My warranty ended a few months ago so I would like to diagnose this myself if not do the work.

When I put a ScanGuage on the OBD-II port I can see in real time the battery voltage it reports while the engine is running. Sometimes it fluctuates between 12.4 and 14.2v while the engine is running. I expected to see ~13-14v all the time. Also, the ScanGuage shows a significant change in voltage when I turn on/off electrical components (lights, AC, etc). On, the voltage rises and off it falls. Does this indicate the regulator is an issue or could there be another culprit? I am beginning to think that the alternator or regulator is not giving continuous output to keep the battery fully charged. The battery is about a year old and may be damaged now by under charging. I put it on a battery tester and it shows the low end of "good" and drops voltage quickly after a full charge.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
To many short trips. Not enough time to replace what was lost due to starting.
You have a smart charge system. Your readings are normal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To many short trips. Not enough time to replace what was lost due to starting.
You have a smart charge system. Your readings are normal.
Maybe so but how is it that my wife's car (Corolla) battery does not have this issue. She drives less than I do. I don't even have to charge her battery. How smart is that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts