Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new at this so forgive me if I have posted in the wrong slot!
I purchased new rear brake disks for my wife's 2014 AWD Tucson. The disks came with a large hole in the center and I assumed they will just slip off the hub after some coaxing and removal of the brake caliper hardware. However, on looking at my hub, it appears that you have to remove the axle nut to get the brake disk off. It looks like the disk is actually welded to the hub. My manual and any pictures I have found do not say that the axle nut has to be removed. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Does one have to remove the axle nut?
Thanks in advance,
Hugh

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
Very few vehicles need the axle nut removed to get the rotor off
And almost all cars that I know about do not need to do this.
Tucson being almost like a truck ....

If you live in the rust belt and never had your rotors serviced before
Then it can be quite challenging to remove the rotors from the hub
I tried hammer mine out .. didn't work
Then I saw on youtube where you can use the point where the caliper bracket screws in to put bolts there
With some spacers, it is possible to force the rotor off the hub
Just remember that if you decide to just keep hitting the rotors til they come off
You have the possibility of damaging the hub or wheel bearing ... just a thought

Good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did you remove the set screws that are holding the rotor on? You should almost never have to deal with an axle nut when removing a brake disc.

I have dealt with rotors seized to wheel hubs before, but it was nothing a heavy hammer and a cold beer couldn't handle :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all for your kind advice! I'm a Subaru guy and the Tucson is my wife's. I was not sure on this one as the disk appears to be welded to the hub. Hope my picture goes through! Subaru were smart and always have a couple of tapped bolt holes in their disks so you can remove them easily. Failing that and the hammer, a heating torch always seems to work........!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. I removed the screws. If memory serves me correctly, on my 1970 Volvo I had to remove the axle nuts! Thank you for your input!
Hugh

·
Registered
941 Posts
That's seriously rusted.. no wonder you think it's welded to the hub... it practically is :p

Going to take a bit of smashing to get that off.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Rust is a wonderful thing

Whack taht thing with a 32+ oz ball peen to break the bond

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hmmm, looks like that setup has the rear handbrake shoes inside that rear disc. So maybe either your handbrake is on (either on purpose or stuck), or the shoes are really tight to the inside drum.

Either way, I stick by my prior advice of beers + heavy hammer. The axle nut isn't holding it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm, looks like that setup has the rear handbrake shoes inside that rear disc. So maybe either your handbrake is on (either on purpose or stuck), or the shoes are really tight to the inside drum.

Either way, I stick by my prior advice of beers + heavy hammer. The axle nut isn't holding it.
The only handbrake I've seen that acted on the calipers was the little '80 Subaru wagon that had a lever alongside the handbrake that you pulled up to kick in the rear drive! I think Nissan has the same system. Everything else I've worked on has been the drum handbrake on the disk. No, the brake is definitely not on as the wheels rotate fine! Thanks for you kind input though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts