Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Limited; 2019 Tucson Ultimate
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded in my 2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited for 2014 model (lease exchange). I had been very happy with my 2011 getting 35-37 mpg on highway cruise, and 26-28 mpg in daily commute traffic.
However, after one week and 750 miles, my mileage with the 2014 is horrible! I am getting 20-21 on commute, and just took a trip to Columbus, OH (from Cleveland), and avg 26 mpg on highway cruise! I tried the eco mode for a stretch on highway and got 24 mpg.
Also, the throttle pickup is nothing like it was with my 2011; I've had to look under the hood to make sure that I really got a turbo, and not a 1.6 liter toyota engine.
Anyone else having problems like this? I've not seen anything on forums, and I do plan on taking it back into service to have them check. :(

·
Registered
920 Posts
Have them check it out I say. Also check the spark plugs maybe there still at the factory (denso) setting and not at Hyundai specs. Some forum members had a thread about it. I own a 2011 and your "horrible" is still better than mine. I'm at 17 if I'm very very lucky but usually 14-15mpg in NY with combined. City and highway.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Your brand new car is still breaking in. Mileage wont be as good yet for another few tanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was about to start a similar tread ... last Saturday i purchased a 2012 2.0T that was a lease turn in with just under 33,000 miles on it. My commute to work is mostly through 40-55 mph zones and im averaging 19mpg weather I get all over the throttle or accelerate as little as possible like an old grandpa. I dont get it, i see people on this forum and others who claim to be heavy footed while still getting better MPG than I am and Im stopping my self from driving the way i want to since it's my first turbo!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have them check it out I say. Also check the spark plugs maybe there still at the factory (denso) setting and not at Hyundai specs. Some forum members had a thread about it. I own a 2011 and your "horrible" is still better than mine. I'm at 17 if I'm very very lucky but usually 14-15mpg in NY with combined. City and highway.
With not much more than 5k miles, my 2012 2.0T is also getting very poor mileage (approx 17-18 MPG locally).

·
Registered
920 Posts
I was about to start a similar tread ... last Saturday i purchased a 2012 2.0T that was a lease turn in with just under 33,000 miles on it. My commute to work is mostly through 40-55 mph zones and im averaging 19mpg weather I get all over the throttle or accelerate as little as possible like an old grandpa. I dont get it, i see people on this forum and others who claim to be heavy footed while still getting better MPG than I am and Im stopping my self from driving the way i want to since it's my first turbo!

With not much more than 5k miles, my 2012 2.0T is also getting very poor mileage (approx 17-18 MPG locally).

My sonata is a 2011 and has just under 30k. I haven't gotten the spark plugs looked at yet. Been busy with work and all

·
Registered
69 Posts
Remember - don't believe everything you read. There are some people on here getting better mileage in their 2.0T's than some of us Hybrid owners :rolleyes:

In a turbo, so much depends on the driver, driving conditions/weather, health of all moving components and tire pressure. In our old CX-7, my wife could consistantly get 22mpg mixed driving. I think I got that once on an all day drive on the highway and in town, forget it; 17 tops.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Check the tire pressure. Turbos should be 35 psi. Previous owner could have taken it somewhere for a "tire check" and the pressure could have been decreased to 32 psi by the tech. When I had new tires put on, the shop loaded 32 psi, but I checked it when I got home and increased to 35.

I travel mostly long back roads averaging 55-60 mph and do some in town driving and average 28-30mpg according to the car's computer, but hand calculated to 27-28 on average.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Check the tire pressure. Turbos should be 35 psi. Previous owner could have taken it somewhere for a "tire check" and the pressure could have been decreased to 32 psi by the tech. When I had new tires put on, the shop loaded 32 psi, but I checked it when I got home and increased to 35.

I travel mostly long back roads averaging 55-60 mph and do some in town driving and average 28-30mpg according to the car's computer, but hand calculated to 27-28 on average.
according to the car fax they gave me the dealer put new tires on it when it was turned in, i would hope they put them up to proper pressure. I will check ASAP!

·
Registered
687 Posts
My mileage dropped this summer compared to last summer. I only get 20 in city where last year I would get 23-24. Highway I'm lucky to hit 31-32 when i used to get 34-35. With one 50 mile one way trip sprinkled in (still trying to sell house) I still am at 28 over all. I'm not complaining about that one.
I have around 38K miles on my 2012 that I purchased 2 years ago. It's time to change plugs though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are these number actuals or what the computer displays? I have found the computer to be off anywhere from 2 to 4 mpg when I manually compute at tank fill-up time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know how relevant my numbers are (I have 2011 SE Turbo) but this summer I got 36.9 MPG from one tank (almost all of it was highway drving). This was my personal best. The numbers are not from the ECU but calculated, i.e. total miles driven divided by the number of gallons filled up. The computer actually showed 42 MPG.
Right now that the temps are much lower I'm back to getting 30 MPG and I'm afraid it's going to decrease a little further as we go into colder months.

Here's the link to my fuely:
Vovan's Sonata 2.0T (Hyundai Sonata) | Fuelly

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just filled up on Sunday and now im getting only 16 mpg's ... air filter is brand new & tires are all at 35 psi. Does winter gas really suck that bad or am I missing somthing? It has chewed through 1/4 tank going 75 miles.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Have dealer check 02 sensors or everything in general. Winter gas isn't that bad. I didn't see a gas mileage hit on the turbo like I did on my 2009 2.4. I bought my turbo 2/2/13 and averaged around 26 mpg through the end of April. The 2009 2.4 dipped to 24 mpg during the several winters it saw.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One other thing to consider that I found to be relevant to this from my 11 sonata turbo is the tire compound. The tires the vehicle comes with are fairly sticky for all seasons. as the compound goes through normal cycling the compound stiffens a little creating a bit less rolling resistance...(think how quiet they are when you first get them and then how noisy and stiff they are later on..) When I switched to the Continental Extreme Contact DWS they resulted in better mileage from the get go. I had the opportunity to evaluate those tires on the car over 6500 miles in one week with a bunch of race tracks thrown in the mix.

On the highway with those tires I was getting at, 83-85 mph, 23mpg. My car was also very well maintained, broken in correctly, and tire pressures at optimal levels.

In my new 2014 I am going through what I went through at first with the 2011, poor mileage even with a smooth foot. Someone above pointed to the break in period and that is TOTALLY correct. In turbo cars you should stay away from hard acceleration and staying at one speed for long periods of time (its even in the manual). Breaking in the car correctly for 600-800 miles will allow the transmission to learn and manage the power optimally based on driving habits.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hear what your saying about break in but I got it used with 32k on it so that has long passed ... lol
One other thing you can try is to reset the transmission...Easiest way is to disconnect the battery and leave it off overnight. You will have to reprogram windows/sunroof and other various things that aren't too hard to do but the car WILL learn your shiftpoints much more quickly.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Depending on your location in the States or Canada, winter grade gas will also impact your MPGs, so will the amount of ethanol in the gas.

·
Registered
281 Posts
While I understand the winter blend thought...you should not be getting 16, that's horrendous...I think completely whooping on it should net more than that

1 - 20 of 22 Posts