Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have one of these caps just disappear? It was there when I left the house, 10 minutes later, gone. I think the part number is 52960-2S250.

·
Registered
896 Posts
they clip in pretty good... surprised one came loose.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hyundai-52960-2S250-Assembly-Aluminum/dp/B009ZCNRDQ[/ame]

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Anybody have one of these caps just disappear? It was there when I left the house, 10 minutes later, gone. I think the part number is 52960-2S250.
Look at the tire and rim....See any evidence of hitting a curb or something else?
Are you the only driver? Those don't just fall out. Someone may have helped themselves to yours.

Reactions: solman98

·
Registered
163 Posts
...Those don't just fall out. Someone may have helped themselves to yours.

Not a Hyundai and it was probably over ten years old at the time, but I have had very similar looking center caps "just fall out" of a Mercury before. The plastic got old and brittle and the tabs that held the caps on starting breaking. I thought someone stole the first one, then after the 2nd one, I pulled another one off and saw where it was cracking.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Not a Hyundai and it was probably over ten years old at the time, but I have had very similar looking center caps "just fall out" of a Mercury before. The plastic got old and brittle and the tabs that held the caps on starting breaking. I thought someone stole the first one, then after the 2nd one, I pulled another one off and saw where it was cracking.
Since you know how loose his was/is I think you stole it. Where were you when it went missing? What...no alibi ? I will not bother you if your posts make sense. You might want to do the same with me.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Third option, and what probably happened, I had new tires installed a few months back and chances are one of the retention clips was damaged when they knocked it out to mount the new tire. Zero damage on the wheel/tire, I am the primary (95%) driver, and no one else likes to drive it because they know how anal I am about my cars. :)

Ordered the new one this morning, will be here in a couple of days. Some of these (and I think this one) can only be properly removed/installed with the wheel removed. I seem to remember the tech mounting the wheel and then realizing the cap wasn't on, picking it up, and hitting it a couple of times with his hand to get it to go on, so that may have been the damage. But it was months ago, have no proof, lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been busy, but the update is that they can be snapped in without removing the wheel, and looking at the new one I would say the lost one probably was damaged on the last round of tire mounting and the tab finally failed. These little beasties are pricey, but looking at it from the manufacturing side there are multiple steps required to make them. Multi-step painting/plating plus assembly of the spring. Still, retail at $24 is probably 4X cost to manufacture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts