Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2103 Tucson on Wednesday of this week. It felt fine during the test drive but I was doing city driving on the test drive. I had to make a 140 miles PA turnpike trip today. I found myself constantly having to make steering adjustments on the highway at speeds over 40mph, it seemed to be floating on the turnpike, and just the smallest move of the wheel seemed to be over input. I have read online that this model has electronic steering. Some suggest having the dealership adjust the steering to "Sport". Is this something that the Dealership will do to try and correct an obvious issue with my vehicle?

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Moved to "LM" 2010-up forum for better response.
A note: You can refer to some previous threads by some members comments on the electric steering system.
In my experience, I found nothing particularly wrong with it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I purchased a 2103 Tucson on Wednesday of this week. It felt fine during the test drive but I was doing city driving on the test drive. I had to make a 140 miles PA turnpike trip today. I found myself constantly having to make steering adjustments on the highway at speeds over 40mph, it seemed to be floating on the turnpike, and just the smallest move of the wheel seemed to be over input. I have read online that this model has electronic steering. Some suggest having the dealership adjust the steering to "Sport". Is this something that the Dealership will do to try and correct an obvious issue with my vehicle?
I don't know about any way to change the steering over to "Sport"? I know there was some discussion of this on the Sonata forum, the dealer was able to change it somehow, but I don't know if that applies to the Tucson as well?

The electric steering on the Tucson is very precise, I suppose that's what you mean. There is no play in the steering, like the old hydraulic design. If you're on a long straight level road, you'll rarely have to turn the wheel to keep it straight, plus if any corrections are actually needed it only requires minor movements.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Wish to add that, road are convex shape to shed off water, even on a flat stretch of hwy, minor adjustment of the steering is always needed.

Unless you are referring to road "feel".

G

·
One of my favorite features on my new 13 Tuscon LTD is how true and great the steering is. I wonder if the OP has an alignment issue, or perhaps some defective parts in the steering system. Unlike the Santa Fe, my Tuscon LTD does NOT offer steering modes. Sounds like a trip to service department is best. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. After reading more on the internet, I think maybe my best option is to drive it for a few weeks to see if ( I ) adjust to it. I was driving a Nissan Exterra before with a a lot of road input in the steering wheel, maybe I need time to break myself in to this new steering system. Will let you know how it goes in a few weeks! Thanks!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a similar feeling with my 13 Tucson. I was constantly doing steering adjustments. During my first oil change i mentioned it to the dealer and they ended up doing a wheel allignment as it was off. Now it drives straight. Maybe that will help.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There are a couple of threads on this forum, with similar complaints and few fixes...
My CEO's '10 Tuck Ltd has suffered from similar vague/twitchy/lack of on center feel since day one.

A couple of dlr trips, (they said it felt 'normal' and could find no suspension/wheel issues), a trip to my fave BMW Indie with serious and meticulous alignment methods found the alignment spot on, wheels are pristine, in balance, and fairly new tires, etc...all to no avail.

One post talked about a 'software re-do' by the dealer, but neither the 'local' Asheville dlr or one in Hendersonville or Greenville, SC had any knowledge of a 'software' fix, and don't see how software is driving/affecting an electric power steering motor.

Good luck 'getting used to it'. I have not, but it is the CEO's car and she doesn't complain. If it were my DD, it would be gone tomorrow.
GL, mD

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2012 Tucson--- wandered and was tough to keep going straight. The dealer said that was normal-- I said BS-- I took it to an alignment shop and they found the rear camber to be negative. That kept the thing tracking wherever it wanted to be. Correcting the track was difficult. Resetting the rear camber and toe fixed 99% of the problem.
So, check your alignment and make sure it's within factory specs.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. After reading more on the internet, I think maybe my best option is to drive it for a few weeks to see if ( I ) adjust to it. I was driving a Nissan Exterra before with a a lot of road input in the steering wheel, maybe I need time to break myself in to this new steering system. Will let you know how it goes in a few weeks! Thanks!!
My Accent is / was the same. The drive home from the dealer was about 150 miles. I was all over the road and I thought I would be stopped for investigation of DUI. No kidding. You will get used to it somewhat, but not entirely. Within the first year (warranty) I did have the dealer check the alignment and they increased the front toe which helped a lot, but it (the steering) still isn't ready for prime time, IMO. It's still tiring on a long drive. Good luck, cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts