Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2013 Tucson AWD from a stop position when you step on the gas its hesitates,,at times i can put the gas pedal right to the floor and nothing happens or it hesitates and then takes off,,not very safe as far as I am concerned ,,I took it to the dealership yesterday and they say they can find nothing wrong with the car

I knew this would be hard to find and fix as it only does it now and then

has anyone else had this problem if so how did you get it fixed

Please advise

Thank you

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 2013 Tucson AWD from a stop position when you step on the gas its hesitates,,at times i can put the gas pedal right to the floor and nothing happens or it hesitates and then takes off,,not very safe as far as I am concerned ,,I took it to the dealership yesterday and they say they can find nothing wrong with the car

I knew this would be hard to find and fix as it only does it now and then

has anyone else had this problem if so how did you get it fixed

Please advise

Thank you

Is it a petrol or diesel ? I presume its petrol? If it was diesel it's the turbo lag.
Do you notice it more when you fill car up at certain places? Could be bad fuel.

Otherwise could be problem with electronic throttle or blocked injectors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it a petrol or diesel ? I presume its petrol? If it was diesel it's the turbo lag.
Do you notice it more when you fill car up at certain places? Could be bad fuel.

Otherwise could be problem with electronic throttle or blocked injectors.

Its petrol and that has been checked and its fine ,,but thanks

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Its petrol and that has been checked and its fine ,,but thanks
Does it do that only under hard acceleration.......or does it happen sometimes with just light acceleration too ??

Both my Elantra and my Malibu will do that if you stomp it hard at low speed. Doesn't seem to do it from a dead stop but if you let it roll a bit or are going less than 5 mph, I've had it happen several times. Makes me a little bit less inclined to try and jump into a small space in traffic. :eek:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Is this with ECO mode on? Try turning off ECO mode, and see if it still happens?

If that don't work, It sounds to me like the Throttle Position Sensor is not adjusted right, or it's defective. Did any codes appear at the dealer?

Also, you might try taking off the air filter housing top, then take out the air filter, and look underneath to make sure it's clear (this is very easy to do),,, One time mine was filled with acorns! :eek: Apparently, a squirrel, or chipmunk had gotten in there during the winter, then abandoned house. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I had the car at the dealership again yesterday and left it with them for the day

I have been driving with the eco off for a week,, didn't help

after another software up date to their diagnostic they ran another scan on my car and could find nothing wrong with it,, I knew this was gonna be hard to find

So now they have asked me to drive with the ecs off (traction control) for a week or two to see if that fixes it

this only happens when I step on the gas now and then ,,can be fine for a week and then it happens ,,most always from a dead stop.. and I don't stomp on the gas ,,I am just driving normally ,, beats me what's wrong with it but kinda scary when your making a left turn in an intersection and when there's an opening you step on the gas and nothing happens................:mad:

there is only 1000 Kilometres on the car so very new

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this with ECO mode on? Try turning off ECO mode, and see if it still happens?

If that don't work, It sounds to me like the Throttle Position Sensor is not adjusted right, or it's defective. Did any codes appear at the dealer?

Also, you might try taking off the air filter housing top, then take out the air filter, and look underneath to make sure it's clear (this is very easy to do),,, One time mine was filled with acorns! :eek: Apparently, a squirrel, or chipmunk had gotten in there during the winter, then abandoned house. ;)
I had the car at the dealership again yesterday and left it with them for the day

I have been driving with the eco off for a week,, didn't help

after another software up date to their diagnostic they ran another scan on my car and could find nothing wrong with it,, I knew this was gonna be hard to find

So now they have asked me to drive with the ecs off (traction control) for a week or two to see if that fixes it

this only happens when I step on the gas now and then ,,can be fine for a week and then it happens ,,most always from a dead stop.. and I don't stomp on the gas ,,I am just driving normally ,, beats me what's wrong with it but kinda scary when your making a left turn in an intersection and when there's an opening you step on the gas and nothing happens................:mad:

there is only 1000 Kilometres on the car so very new

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE

Yesterday my Tucson was at the dealership for the good part of the day

they installed a new HECU unit whatever that is but was told it has to do with the ecs and eco etc. and they had to work on the abs and drain the brake lines a etc etc as they said it was all related .all this on a car that has 1200 miles on it ..but they are hoping this will fix the hesitation problem

The dealership has been great,,, so hope this corrects the problem

will keep you posted

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ASKED for new car

Well the repair didn't work ,,the service manager has been great and has been driving my car for a couple of days

Had two close calls where the car just took off in Walmart parking lot and Timmys parking lot

then in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway took off again

I have been driving a loaner

They don't know whats wrong with the car or how to fix it

Today I asked for a new car to replace this one ,,its 2 months old

Waiting for a answer

wish me luck :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would you believe the dealership wants an additional $7000.00 to replace the car

just 3 months old and only 1300 miles on it

Well they are NOT getting it from me

and no the car is still not fixed

so I have written Hyundai Customer relations

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
do you think this is a rip off ?

Would you believe the dealership wants an additional $7000.00 to replace the car

so I have written Hyundai Customer relations been 3 days and no reply from Hyundai Canada

Well the repair didn't work ,,the service manager has been great and has been driving my car for a couple of days

Had two close calls where the car just took off in Walmart parking lot and Timmys parking lot

then in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway took off again

I have been driving a loaner

They don't know whats wrong with the car or how to fix it

Today I asked for a new car to replace this one ,,its 2 months old

Waiting for a answer

wish me luck :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fed up sold it

Totally fed up with Hyundai

so sold the Tucson and bought a new north American SUV

so I have written Hyundai Customer relations been 3 days and no reply from Hyundai Canada

·
Registered
208 Posts
Totally fed up with Hyundai

so sold the Tucson and bought a new north American SUV
What did you buy (if you don't mind me asking)?
Honestly I feel that buying an American made SUV would most likely be a step down in quality from the Hyundai. The only way to step up (imho) would be to go with a Toyota or Honda, but then you will also feel like you aren't getting as much for your money because it won't have as many bells and whistles on it for the same price.

·
Registered
166 Posts
What did you buy (if you don't mind me asking)?
Honestly I feel that buying an American made SUV would most likely be a step down in quality from the Hyundai. The only way to step up (imho) would be to go with a Toyota or Honda, but then you will also feel like you aren't getting as much for your money because it won't have as many bells and whistles on it for the same price.
I couldn't agree with you more.

You have to keep in mind where this guy is from.... Oshawa Ontario... which was and is a HUGE General Motors producing town.. this is where the Camaro is being produced (until its getting shifted down to Michigan in 2015, anyways)... CDN/US government bailout package politics for the shift.

I don't know if I've made it clear on one of these forums before but I'm a big Toyota fan... and have owned a corolla and still drive a solara, and both cars have been completely ROCK SOLID. Routine regular maintenance i got over 400,000kms on the corolla... and i have over 225,000kms on the solara now and the V6 engine is as smooth and powerful as day of delivery.

We were contemplating getting a Chevy Equinox at the time we were SUV shopping, and we liked the size and the ride quality, and price of the Equinox... but i could not go through with getting a domestic vehicle. I hear some Equinox's on the road now, a few years later... and they have engine knock and just overall sound rough. I mean GM just started introducing variable valve timing in their vehicles only 4-5 years ago. Toyotas engines are untouchable for reliability and build quality, IMO.

I really feel Honda/Toyotas are bullet proof, and they use quality parts that will last quite a long time. We took a chance with hyundai and saw the roll they were on when we purchased the tucson..... but its going to have to take a few more years to get that same type of confidence with our Tucson. So far there have been a few unresolved issues which has cast some doubt on Hyundai's quality/reliability. (Primarily, that cheap fan blower motor, the transmission slamming into second gear from time to time, we have sticky brakes in wet weather and an AWD shuttering issues from a standstill).

Anyways, completely just my 2 cents, and everyone's entitled to their own... lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I was a betting man I suspect that you are left footing on the brake pedal when you are trying to move.

What this action does is it stops the acelarator pedal from advancing the engine revs.

This is a safety feature that Hyundai developed to stop you driving the car with too much throttle.

Prove this to yourself

Put the car into reverse and just place you left foot on the brake pedal does not need to be hard just enough to bring the stop lights on and try to proceed. ENGINE REVS DISAPPEAR AND WILL COME BACK AS SOON AS YOU LIFT YOUR LEFT FOOT.

This information is not in the owners handbook

Regards

Col

1 - 20 of 24 Posts