Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my first snow day in my Tucson today…snow, ice, freezing rain on I 95.
I was very pleased with the overall performance/handling in all those conditions. The traction was excellent on both unplowed highway and tight turns on side streets. BUT, I'm very concerned about braking because I found that, even at speeds less than 20 mph, the second I touched the brake pedal the ABS kicked in. I should stress that at no point did I have to brake quickly/suddenly….I'm talking about anticipating a nearby access ramp, slowing down as I approached it, and light braking to make the turn onto the ramp- no cars in front or behind me. Other threads fault the OEM tires but I don't understand how tires can be the problem when the traction is so great when I'm not braking….

At one point I completely missed the access ramp because ABS had kicked in and I had no steerage. I'd liken the ABS on this vehicle, in snow, to a "hair trigger". How can I tell if something's wrong with the ABS?

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Moved to "LM" forum for better response

If you are concerned with performance in snow/ice, install snow tires.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Seriously, the stock tires really blow in the snow.
I have Firestone Destination LE 2 tires and they are SO much better in the ice and snow than the stock Kumhos.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My guess is the stock tires cause immediate slip/loss of traction, which the ABS senses in a nano second; thus the "hair trigger" feeling of ABS interrupting immediately.

'All season' tires are for Spring, Summer & Fall. If one drives regularly in winter snow, dedicated winter tires are highly rec'd. On ice, all bets are off regardless of AWD, FWD, winter tires, etc.
GL, mD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts