Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 1/2 way thru a 2 hour trip driving on interstate 75 in Florida doing about 75mph when all of the sudden I couldn't steer, had no dash lights with the exception of the radio plus the bluetooth still worked and braking was very difficult. I couldn't accelerate, nothing happened when I pushed the gas pedal. Neither turn signal worked but the emergency flashers did. Managed to get it on side of highway but then it got interesting; couldn't shift out of drive and couldn't turn the car off; I could turn the key but nothing happened. After sitting on the side of the road with my foot on the brake pedal for 30 minutes I tried turning the car off again and it magically worked. I sat there for about 10 minutes and thought I would turn the car on and see what happened; turned the key and it fired up like normal and everything was working just fine. Dealer says they have never heard of anything like this happening.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Dealer says they have never heard of anything like this happening.
BIG LIE.

I bet somebody at Hyundai has.
Keep ON them to find a cause.

I certainly would NOT take it back home again without a good explanation.

You were just one hairs breath away from a run-away car.....stuck in gear and switch would not turn it off.

I'm sure that the NTSB would REALLY like to hear about your experience. You should report it. There may be others.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
I had a his happen with other vehicle in the past. Turned out to be bad alternator. Keep an eye on things for the next few weeks and keep the free roadside assistance number handy.

Also I hardly think dealer us a liar as the person above does. I bet the service person you spoke with has not likely seen this issue with MD Elantra before.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had a his happen with other vehicle in the past. Turned out to be bad alternator. Keep an eye on things for the next few weeks and keep the free roadside assistance number handy.

Also I hardly think dealer us a liar as the person above does. I bet the service person you spoke with has not likely seen this issue with MD Elantra before.
I don't know but it seemed like the Toyota dealer had never heard of anything that was happening to the Tundra. It was always the first time they had heard anything about every issue.:confused:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I think the engine was already off. And when the shift lever is not in P, the key can only turned to the ACC position (towing mode), not the OFF position (steering wheel lock).

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Engine running or not you can still steer when key is in on position.
You can still steer but it's much harder. Even if the power steering is electric, the engine needs to be running for it to work. You can test it yourself, turn the key on and try to turn the wheel...

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
BIG LIE.

I bet somebody at Hyundai has.
Keep ON them to find a cause.

I certainly would NOT take it back home again without a good explanation.

You were just one hairs breath away from a run-away car.....stuck in gear and switch would not turn it off.

I'm sure that the NTSB would REALLY like to hear about your experience. You should report it. There may be others.
You're kinda running with the fanciful thinking tonight, aren't you. I'm always game for a good story but car turning off seems about as far away as you can get from runaway car without a real stretch.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
but car turning off seems about as far away as you can get from runaway car without a real stretch.
Maybe I mis-read his story but I thought he was saying that he could NOT turn it off and the engine was still running......and pretty much the only thing that DID work right was the brakes.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The OP also said he could turn the key to OFF and nothing happened, so why turn the key back to ON at this point? Was the engine really running? Because no, you cannot put the key OFF unless the transmission is in PARK. You can only turn it to ACC and yes the radio will still be turned on...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
ahhhh.... the beauty of the internet...
unknowns everywhere...

I have to say, without the original user posting answers to all these questions, the assumption should be made that this is definitely a troll....

forums arent about complaining about minor/major issues and walking away. these humble people here are all about finding resolution to these types of issues.

I'd wait it out for the original poster to come back to us with more info, if no response comes back for 2-3 weeks... we can make our conclusions.

Reactions: 482lost

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
See below
The answers do not fit the question.

Turning the key to ACC should shut the engine OFF......
And not being able to take it OUT of D is different than not being able to put IN park. ;)

I'm leaning toward troll now too.
The last one was uncontrolled acceleration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe I did not make myself completly clear, I had no control of the car, the engine was still running but I could not steer or brake, and when I put my foot on the gas pedal I had nothing. Thank god I was in the right lane and somehow was able to coast to the shoulder of the highway. Once there I could NOT shift out of drive nor could I turn the car off. I have now contacted Hyundai and the NHTSA and Hyundai actually towed my car to the local dealership and it has been there since 8/19/13. I believe that within 2 weeks my complaint will be listed on the NHTSA website.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I am not someone who knows a lot about cars and have never used a forum before but yes this did happen and it could have been a tragic event. The engine was still running so I should have used a different word than stalling. I love my car but now I won't be driving it until I can get some answers however I fully expect to hear from the dealership that "we couldn't find anything wrong". There is another similar post on this forum as well. The reason I posted this was to see if others have had a similar experience with their 2013 Elantra GLS.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
but yes this did happen and it could have been a tragic event.
My apology for thinking this might not be real.......but I hope you understand that we get ALL KINDS of posts here; mostly real but some not.

Dropping a bomb like this and then never coming back usually is a dead give-away that it isn't legitimate.

Hope you get it all sorted out.

Sometimes in cases like this the manufacturer wants/needs to keep your car for extensive testing and they offer you an extensive upgrade at no cost.

The downside of that usually is that they are then under no obligation to tell what, if anything, they discover.

Please do keep us posted on any news you get.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I understand, thanks. On a side note to this story when the car was being driven by the dealer something in the road flew up and damaged the passenger door so now they are doing body work. So far they have found nothing so I am going to call Hyundai again today. Will update.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts