Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
The car went in for a small leak in one of the hoses, since then, it's been through 3 ECUs, about 6 wiring harnesses, 2 fuel pumps, a camshaft connector and a camshaft position sensor. All totaling up to about 5 grand. Thank God for warranty right? Anyways, I've been in contact with a Lemon Law lawyer who said at the 30 day mark it's a lemon. It sucks because I do not feel that the car was defective, but the technicians were incompetent. Right now, the car starts but runs extremely rough and then dies. No one can seem to figure out why. It just amazes me that they have 3 of their "best mechanics" working on it and they still cannot fix it. Any feedback would be great! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
No one wants to work on it because it didn't illuminate the R/R light. :-S

I find most shops and techs can't troubleshoot very well (not relying on an ECU to throw a code;thinking outside the box). That's why you get a lot of "can not reproduce". All manufacturers have this issue. Add in the fact you have a "Service Writer" trying to communicate a symptom to a tech from a description from the customer further compounds the problem.

As the younger generation mechanics start occupying more of the shop's forces and more and more old school guys are retiring or moving on the intangible skill set is being lost.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Bearcats correct me if I am wrong, but nowadays is replace this and that until they find what works!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Bearcats correct me if I am wrong, but nowadays is replace this and that until they find what works!
Yup R/R. Drives me nuts when I ask "Will that solve the issue?"; especially outside of warranty when expensive parts are on my nickel. I am not picking up the bill on a wild guess. I can do R/R on my own; cheaper. I go to a shop to get the expertise. Which is why if you find a shop that treats you well, hang on for dear life and reward them for good service.

I am thankful that I have an old school shop (not dealer affiliated) that a lot of us go to. It is run but older guys with older techs. What worries me is they are getting up there and talk of retirement and selling the business has come up more than once... :eek:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I believe that the lemon law also applies if the vehicle has been in the shop for the same problem more than 3 times. Since you have had 3 ECUS and 6 wiring harnesses, I believe you have already met this standard.

You may want to double check with your lawyer, the sooner you can get this resolved...the better.

Good luck.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I believe that the lemon law also applies if the vehicle has been in the shop for the same problem more than 3 times. Since you have had 3 ECUS and 6 wiring harnesses, I believe you have already met this standard.

You may want to double check with your lawyer, the sooner you can get this resolved...the better.

Good luck.
It varies state to state. I want to say here in Florida it is a lemon if it has been in the shop 3 times for the same problem and totaling 15 days...or something like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What happens if your car is declared a lemon?

Do you get 100% refund (the amount you paid when you purchased the car)? Or just the current depreciated value of the car?

Also, do you need to get a lawyer? Wont he be getting most of the $$ then if you do?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
What happens if your car is declared a lemon?

Do you get 100% refund (the amount you paid when you purchased the car)? Or just the current depreciated value of the car?

Also, do you need to get a lawyer? Wont he be getting most of the $$ then if you do?
Its not full value. Its depreciated value (on the manufacturers table) and mileage deduction. If you have a crappy car its great to get out.

Usually getting a lawyer that is experienced in Lemon Law will expediete your case but not necessarily make sure you win. And yes a lawyer takes a cut. When we did it we had the lawyer fees attached to the "claim".

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
You need to get that car lemoned, ASAP. I have been in your situation and did not lemon (traded for the Red Sled, YAY) and took the financial shot in the pills.

OP is in FL, and he states that it has been 22 days. Couple of things here

Many states require 30 consecutive business days of lost use or a specific number of attempts to repair one single problem.

Allowing for 6 days (3 wks * 2 weekend days), OP may still need more time before car falls under lemon status

Most Mfgs are now using binding arbitration for lemon cases, so no need to worry about lawyer fees. Company has to pay them either way.

Make sure if you are going to do a lemon claim, do you own research on what a car of your year and miles is selling for on used lots, then look at a valuation site. Create your own mileage deduction as though it were a lease, say $0.15/mi. This will give you a good number for the Mfg to use in buying back your vehicle.

Above all, take good notes and keep all of your paperwork.

This is what I should have done with my Fusion. End up being around a 2K mistake on my part.

Best of luck, OP

·
Registered
322 Posts
Its not full value. Its depreciated value (on the manufacturers table) and mileage deduction. If you have a crappy car its great to get out.

Usually getting a lawyer that is experienced in Lemon Law will expediete your case but not necessarily make sure you win. And yes a lawyer takes a cut. When we did it we had the lawyer fees attached to the "claim".
Speaking from personal experience with the "end game" solution mentioned, all that really matters is how you guide the negotiations, getting ever higher level personnel at Hyundai corporate involved and that you ABSOLUTELY remain steadfast in your resolve. Plan on months of frustrating e-mails, phone calls and the occasional face-to-face but you can make out better than you might imagine in the end.

Unfortuantely I can not disclose specifics of my situation.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Here is the Florida Lemon Law breakdown:

If the vehicle has been back to the service agent for repair of the same recurring problem at least three times, the consumer must give written notification by certified, registered or express mail, to the manufacturer (not the dealer) to afford a final opportunity to repair the vehicle. Check the warranty book or owner’s manual or other written manufacturer supplement for the address given by the manufacturer. A Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form may be used for this purpose. Click here for the Instructions and Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form. Upon receipt of the notification, the manufacturer has 10 days to direct the consumer to a reasonably accessible repair facility, and then up to 10 days from delivery of the vehicle to fix it.
If the vehicle is in and out of the authorized repair shop for repair of one or more different problems for 15 or more cumulative days, the consumer must give written notification of this fact to the manufacturer (not the dealer), by certified, registered or express mail. Check the warranty book or owner’s manual or other written manufacturer supplement for the address given by the manufacturer. A Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form may used for this purpose. Click here for the Instructions and Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form. After the manufacturer’s receipt of the notification, the manufacturer or its authorized service agent must have at least one opportunity to inspect or repair the vehicle. The consumer may be eligible for a purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle if the vehicle is out of service for repair of one or more nonconformities for a cumulative total of 30 or more days.
If the manufacturer does not provide a refund or a replacement vehicle, consumers may invoke their rights through one or two arbitration programs. The dispute must be submitted for arbitration to a manufacturer sponsored program, if that program was certified by the State of Florida when the consumer purchased or leased the vehicle and the manufacturer's warranty or other written material explained how and where to file a claim with a state-certified program.

So it looks like you are already in Lemon law period when it reached 15 days and the refund is eligible at 30 days and is for the full purchase price or replacement vehicle if I'm reading it correctly.

Here's the website for further info but it is also in the Florida Lemon Law booklet you received when you purchased the vehicle. http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/main/5f1ddc32e4edcbc885256cc900599fb4

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Man I wish I lived in Florida. MN's lemon law is much weaker.

OP....time to start licking some envelopes. You got a new Sonata coming!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Normally the way most SE states handle Lemon Law claims is that you have two options.
1) You can get a new, identical vehicle, and any financing has to match the original terms as well as cover payments already made (i.e. if you paid 4 payments on a 36 month loan, the new loan is 32 months at an identical payment).
2) You can get a different vehicle, but any money you have paid for the current vehicle (including down payment, monthly payments, taxes, registration, etc.) gets applied as a down payment on the new financing.

I had a friend in college (in SC) get a Jeep repurchased as a Lemon after the brakes failed multiple times. He wound up with a higher trim level on the new Jeep, but had the same payment on the new one, although he started the payment clock over. My understanding of SC and FL Lemon Laws (along with most of SE US) is that they are the same.

Note that you may have to wait a little longer than 30 days for a Lemon resolution, as the manufacturer could claim that they want a different shop to try and fix it. (Most states allow the manufacturer one shot at repair, and the manufacturer is considered as a different entity than the dealership.) You could argue against this in arbitration if it goes that far, but you may or may not get the adjudicator to agree.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,222 Posts
Offhand I would say this is that very rare exception as I haven't seen anything on any of my Hyundais I have owned except a software glitch one time.

Sounds like a lemon to me or the world's most incompetent mechanics. I'd exercise your rights under the lemon laws. If I were Hyundai I would give you a brand new identical one and take this one in and put it through their engineering department and see how this happened.

I can't say I have ever heard of anything like this before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
look at your lemon laws and how their worded.. Most say 3 times or so many days of "loss of use"..i had some one lemon law a motorcycle because of a broken tail light we couldn't get a light from the manufacturer and couldn't release the bike for safety reasons...he walked out with a brand new bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts