Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded in my 2011 Sonata SE for a new 2013 SE model. Only difference with this new one is that I got the Navigation/Sunroof Package with Bluelink.
I was expecting my insurance to remain close to the same as what I was paying with my 2011 model. When I called to let Allstate know my new VIN#, they said my premium would increase $300 per year!? I asked why, the agent said, "I don't know, there must be something Allstate doesn't like about this new model".
Huh? I don't think it would be any less safe (should be more safe, plus I have Bluelink, which protects the car in many ways).

Anyone have any thoughts, or am I being shafted?

·
Registered
726 Posts
whats your annual total?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I called and spoke to a friend who is a Nationwide agent. He said it could be the sunroof being the culprit, and that depends on the year and make of the vehicle. Go figure!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
All of the above, plus other factors, are influencing the OP's rate.

When I looked at trading my SE for a 13 Turbo limited, my rate actually went down.

Your agent friend is partially correct. But I would think that there are other more important factors causing this increase. (Hyundais are on the higher end of the mid-size car family for insurance but only by a little bit)

I am going to guess on a few things that are causing the rate

Where you live (i bet its either in/near a city not in the Midwest)
Your driving record/credit score (or the records of other drivers on your policy)
The way you are insured (limits, deductibles, and multi-policy)

And finally---the company. Allstate tends to be higher than most other large insurers. No real reason why, but I have never gone with them as they are on the upper end of the quotes I get.

I would try to shop around for a new carrier as well as review your discounts and insurance situation. Not saying that your rate will go back to what it was on the old sonata, but that increase sounds very fishy.

FWIW I am with Progressive (used to be Nationwide) and I live in Western WI. Hate living in the country but love the low premiums!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I was paying $77 per month for full coverage on my '04 Impala (I drive in NJ). Keeping coverage the same on my Sonata, it went to $89 per month. I'm on State Farm.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
I have one and it didn't go up. In fact it was less than my Santa Fe. I have State Farm.

Might be worthwhile to shop around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts