Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased used previous rental 2013 Sonata GL on November 5th, 2014 with 71,214 kilometers or 44,453 miles, paid $14,337 Canadian $.

Upon purchase i got car rustproofed by same dealer.

While driving car was sluggish and acceleration required some effort.

Changed oil to Quaker State Synthetic immediately within 48 hours with Fram filter.

Changed Air and Cabin filter both Fram brand @ 71,514 Kilometers

Oil was black and both air and engine filters were clogged

Put Regaine Fuel injector cleaner.

Car started to run much better than before.

2 front speakers changed with Dynamat @ 74,096

Purchased 7 oem filter and changed with Castrol Edge Synthetic motor oil 74,000 kilometers

Changed transmission fluid drain & fill @ 74,405 kilometers with SP4-M

Car running improved further.

Replaced car radio with 8 inch GPS, Backup camera and DVD player 78,000 kilometers

4 wheel alignment @ 78,346 kilometers

Drove to USA VA & CT , got front brake disc and rotor changed 81,000 kilometers, it was 95% used up

Both Key FOB battery changed with CR 2032 @ 81,868

Changed rear brake disc & rotor changed, it was seized @ 82,580 kilometers.

Serpentine belt changed with Dayco 5060840 @ 82,580

Coolant flush and fill done @ 82,850 kilometers

Brake flush and bleed done @ 83,190 kilometers.

Hyundai replaced fuel pump and sender assembly under warranty @ 85,551

Hyundai undercoat rustproofing under warranty @ 85,551

Tires rotated every 6,000 kilometers, last done @ 85,673 kilometers

Poured Techron fuel system cleaner every 4,000 kilometers, last done @ 86,400 kilometers

Cleaned throttle body with CRC , it was dirty and lot of carbon, 85,930 kilometers, cleaned 2 more times to get it 100% clean 88,565

Changed transmission fluid, drain & fill 2nd time with SP4-M @ 88,700 kilometers...transmission is very quiet and shifting is very smooth.

As you can clearly see, i have done many preventive maintenance exceeding severe schedule.

This car was rental and wanted a brand new driving experience, which i have now.

Do wax every 4 months....

Hopefully this itemized and detailed maintenance will motivate some of you to keep it in much better focus.....

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Similar scenario with a 2011 Sonata, the air filter wasn't changed in many yrs...same with the cabin filter. It had the wrong oil filter (Honda) on it. The original dealer and the Carfax couldn't tell me if the ATF or the anti-freeze was done...so I took care of it.
Mine has twice the miles and I paid $5300 American, but of course, no warranty of any kind!

Reactions: Saleem

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have driven 17,686 kilometers or 11,040 miles as of yesterday, this covers a span of 3 years and 3 months.

My monthly driving average is only 283 miles, thus a need to go over and above severe schedule.

Transmission drain & fill for 2nd time was done on 21st February,2018.

You got a very good deal on your car price wise, if you have not experienced any mechanical issues, then you are doing very well.

Some replacement parts are extremely expensive outside of warranty like fuel filter assembly which is in gas tank, wuth labor it can run close to $1,000 in Canada.

Even brake pads and rotors are extremely expensive @ dealers, front alone can cost around $800 in Toronto.

I get everything done with my personal mechanic, much much cheaper.

Transmission fluid flush, i was quoted $345 with tax, my cost was $92.....

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The ATF (Max-Life Synthetic) wasn't much more difficult than an oil change...it took about 4.6 qt (about $25). I read here that flushing is not a good idea and the fluid wasn't very dark. I got over 40 mpg on a 400 mi round trip...and the best was 47.8 on a 30 mi run.
The car was from a private party that had to go into assisted-living and had bought it from a crooked dealer (non-Hyundai) in town only 6 months prior. They had no idea it had an after-market remote start...even though the fob was not original!

Reactions: Saleem

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ATF (Max-Life Synthetic) wasn't much more difficult than an oil change...it took about 4.6 qt (about $25). I read here that flushing is not a good idea and the fluid wasn't very dark. I got over 40 mpg on a 400 mi round trip...and the best was 47.8 on a 30 mi run.
The car was from a private party that had to go into assisted-living and had bought it from a crooked dealer (non-Hyundai) in town only 6 months prior. They had no idea it had an after-market remote start...even though the fob was not original!
The best mpg i got was 36.6 MPG on my 2 visit to USA from Toronto, Toronto Richmond VA, Richmond to Hartford then back to Toronto, 2nd trip was Toronto Hartford and back......

@ that time Throttle body was not as clean as now and now 2nd ATF drain & fill may improve my MPG on my next trip.

47.8 MPG is outastanding for you, you must be keeping in top notch condition.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
47.8 MPG is outastanding for you, you must be keeping in top notch condition.
Well, there was about 2 gal in the tank, 2 people in the car and it was about 45 deg. so, it was kind of ideal! On the way back with a full tank was more like 38. :laughing:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was driving alone 500 miles one way..with 1 suitcase and a small bag, got 36.6 mpg....coming and going 35 mpg....

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
One yr ago the dealer sold the car I purchased from the private party and this is what was in it! Note the date code that is within reason, considering the condition!

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One yr ago the dealer sold the car I purchased from the private party and this is what was in it! Note the date code that is within reason, considering the condition!

Totally disgusting, considering air filter was sitting in air box since 2012......

Car dealers are known for no upkeep on any maintenance...only profit....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts