Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before posting this here, I did go through the old threads and I'm not trying to duplicate content (to the best of knowledge). I felt it would be nice to have quick short checklist for Sonata Hybrids that run into this issue.

My name is Nithin. I joined this forum after my 2013 sonata hybrid limited was towed to the dealer because of hybrid system warning / check charging system. The car is in warranty and odometer is at 44602. Dealership told me that the transmission unit needs to be replaced. Covered in warranty. I bought the vehicle used 3 weeks ago and I really loved it. It had a clean carfax report and regular oil changes / maintenance. Previous owner has maintained it really well! I did take it to the hyundai dealer before the purchase and got green signal from them too. After the purchases, I even had it factory serviced a 8 ago and no issues were found by the mechanic. I specifically asked them to check transmission and engine. I drove 800 miles on it and drive was smooth like butter. I was really proud to myself that I bought this. A week later, it pops up the warning message in the middle of interstate and I was lucky that I had enough momentum to safely steer it to the right shoulder. The car was on all the way till I turned it off. I see three lights lit up. when I started the car Check engine light turns on, and when I change it to drive and I see check charging system (battery symbol) and a screw drive like icon (may be transmission). I

I'm a mechanical engineering graduate and I do understand that machines are prone to repairs. I would like to seek everyone's advise on the functionality of other components such as battery terminals, alternator, fuel or oil pump, control module etc. which when fail throws up the same message. I would rather have technicians thoroughly check before handing it to me . Thanks in advance.

Attached are the pics of the warning message. I even recorded a video while waiting for the tow truck. But there are already a lot available now in youtube (not sure if it's a good sign :-( ).

Nithin

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
The yellow one on the center is supposed to e a picture of an engine. The fan is to the left and the air filter is on top. It's the same symbol used on all cars I've owned.

I cannot answer your other questions. I suspect that only a Hyundai hybrid technician could. Like you said, things fail. Occasionally the car companies have recalls because it's a widespread failure. Other times it's covered under the warranty. I would think that Hyundai has provided the technician with a list of everything to check when certain failures occur. You could ask the dealer for a comprehensive list of what they inspected and did this time.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had the same last year. Gracie needed a new HV battery and voltage controller unit - tech said the battery is overcharging. Also said they had never heard of this problem.

Diag came from Hyundai corporate and they had to approve the repairs. Took two weeks.

Regards,
GEWB

·
Registered
1 Posts
did you get your car fixed? I have the same problem and I am out of warranty (107,000 miles) and would use the information to share with my mechanic as he is still trying to find the source of the problem.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts