Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Sonata Hybrid has an odd problem that the dealer has been unable to solve. I have to believe that someone else has experienced this too.

The car has 116,000 miles and has been quite reliable. However, over the past few months it has begun to abruptly lose power when on long trips (over an hour). It will act as if the gas pedal is no longer connected - the car keeps running, but at just above idle. The car keeps moving, but pushing the pedal to the floor has no effect. I discovered that if you take your foot completely off the gas pedal, and then press down again, it will start behaving normally. It will usually lose power again a few seconds or minutes later, but releasing the pedal will again "reset" things. While this is happening, the "EV" (Electric Vehicle mode) indicator does NOT come on - e.g., it isn't switching into EV mode. When it begins doing this, it will continue for the remainder of the trip, but once it cools down, it is usually fine.

I have taken the car to the dealer several times, but they have been completely clueless. Since the condition doesn't create an error code, they are lost diagnosing it. Their best strategy is to have the mechanic commute with our car for several days (using our gas) hoping the problem will re-occur. But since he doesn't live over an hour away, the problem never happens.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 2013 Sonata Hybrid has an odd problem that the dealer has been unable to solve. I have to believe that someone else has experienced this too.

The car has 116,000 miles and has been quite reliable. However, over the past few months it has begun to abruptly lose power when on long trips (over an hour). It will act as if the gas pedal is no longer connected - the car keeps running, but at just above idle. The car keeps moving, but pushing the pedal to the floor has no effect. I discovered that if you take your foot completely off the gas pedal, and then press down again, it will start behaving normally. It will usually lose power again a few seconds or minutes later, but releasing the pedal will again "reset" things. While this is happening, the "EV" (Electric Vehicle mode) indicator does NOT come on - e.g., it isn't switching into EV mode. When it begins doing this, it will continue for the remainder of the trip, but once it cools down, it is usually fine.

I have taken the car to the dealer several times, but they have been completely clueless. Since the condition doesn't create an error code, they are lost diagnosing it. Their best strategy is to have the mechanic commute with our car for several days (using our gas) hoping the problem will re-occur. But since he doesn't live over an hour away, the problem never happens.
Tell them to have him drive the car around for a few hours without stopping. Maybe drive to his house and back or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I appreciate your recommendations, but that's exactly what I have been doing over the past year. The car has been back to the dealer 3 or 4 times. They connect some instrumentation and have the mechanic drive it. His commute is relatively long - perhaps 45 minutes - and he'll drive it over 2 or 3 days. But since the problem occurs intermittently, it isn't surprising that it doesn't happen when the car is instrumented. If the mechanic took a 2 hour drive, it would be more likely to occur, but the dealer argues that they can't afford to have one of their employees spend that much time. I asked if they would keep the instrumentation on the car while I drove it, but they said it was too valuable to lend out.

So I'm puzzled what to do next. I suspect a simple $10 sensor needs replacing, but the dealer won't take any action unless they have an error code. My hope was that someone here had experienced the same problem and figured out the solution.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I appreciate your recommendations, but that's exactly what I have been doing over the past year. The car has been back to the dealer 3 or 4 times. They connect some instrumentation and have the mechanic drive it. His commute is relatively long - perhaps 45 minutes - and he'll drive it over 2 or 3 days. But since the problem occurs intermittently, it isn't surprising that it doesn't happen when the car is instrumented. If the mechanic took a 2 hour drive, it would be more likely to occur, but the dealer argues that they can't afford to have one of their employees spend that much time. I asked if they would keep the instrumentation on the car while I drove it, but they said it was too valuable to lend out.

So I'm puzzled what to do next. I suspect a simple $10 sensor needs replacing, but the dealer won't take any action unless they have an error code. My hope was that someone here had experienced the same problem and figured out the solution.
I think a trip to a different dealer is in order. The car clearly needs to be driven over an hour at one time and the dealer refuses to do that, even though that's the only way to get the problem to show up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
У моей Сонаты гибрид 2012 с пробегом 103 000 миль появилась точно такая же проблема. На прогретом двигателе в движении автомобиль переводит АКПП в N, нажатие педали газа вызывает лишь обороты двигателя, а трансмисия колёса не крутит. Никаких кодов ошибок и неисправностей нигде не фиксируеться. На холодном двигателе машина едет без проблем.

·
Registered
189 Posts
У моей Сонаты гибрид 2012 с пробегом 103 000 миль появилась точно такая же проблема. На прогретом двигателе в движении автомобиль переводит АКПП в N, нажатие педали газа вызывает лишь обороты двигателя, а трансмисия колёса не крутит. Никаких кодов ошибок и неисправностей нигде не фиксируеться. На холодном двигателе машина едет без проблем.
I was unaware that we had any Russian users but welcome to the forums :)
Google Translate isn't perfect but it does the job (kinda). I hope both of you are able to get your cars fixed promptly.

My Sonata Hybrid 2012 with a mileage of 103,000 miles had exactly the same problem. On a warm engine in motion, the car translates the automatic transmission to N, pressing the gas pedal causes only engine revolutions, and the transmission of the wheel does not turn. No error codes or malfunctions are recorded anywhere. The car drives without problems on a cold engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Виталий Кличко он великий боксёр !!!
Так лучше переводить.
Из-за проблем с машиной я уже поменял в ней масляный насос и помпа инвертор но это не помогло.
мне важно знать в чём её причина и как устранить!?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Поэтому я озадачен, что делать дальше. Я подозреваю, что простой датчик за 10 $ нуждается в замене, но дилер не предпримет никаких действий, если у него нет кода ошибки. Я надеялся, что кто-то здесь столкнулся с той же проблемой и нашел решение.
[/ QUOTE]
Гибридный гибридный насос 2012 года, и это точно не помогло. У нас в Украине такие дилерские машины официально не продаются и поэтому у них нет программ для поиска неисправностей (кодовых ошибок). Проблема возникает только в том случае, если все проблемы и узлы будут решены, поэтому необходимо, чтобы ваш автомобиль был уже хорошо подготовлен, и пусть они проедут до конца с 1 часом, за это время проблема проявится. Эта проблема может быть вызвана тем, что машина переводит трансмиссию в аварийный режим.
Оень надеюсь что Вашу машину починят и Вы расскажите в чём была причина!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Может причина в этом?
from the manual:
*1 : Fuel filter & Fuel tank air filter are considered to be maintenance free but
periodic inspection is recommended for this maintenance schedule depends
on fuel quality. If there are some important safety matters like fuel flow
restriction, surging, loss of power, hard starting problem etc, replace the fuel
filter immediately regardless of maintenance schedule and consult an authorized
HYUNDAI dealer for details.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Sonata Hybrid 2012 with a mileage of 103,000 miles had exactly the same problem. On a warm engine in motion, the car translates the automatic transmission to N, pressing the gas pedal causes only engine revolutions, and the transmission of the wheel does not turn. No error codes or malfunctions are recorded anywhere. The car drives without problems on a cold engine.
What you are describing isn't quite the exact same problem. When mine acts up, the transmission is definitely in gear but the gas pedal feels like it has been disconnected. Pushing the gas pedal to the floor does not cause the engine (or the car) to speed up.

Our problems may be related; my sense is that Hyundai hadn't ironed out the bugs in the automatic transmission and engine controls for the hybrid models in 2013. Whether they have it solved in later models is an unknown. All I do know is that I'll never buy another hybrid again - the fuel savings aren't that great and the added components can lead to problems like these.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What you are describing isn't quite the exact same problem. When mine acts up, the transmission is definitely in gear but the gas pedal feels like it has been disconnected. Pushing the gas pedal to the floor does not cause the engine (or the car) to speed up.

Our problems may be related; my sense is that Hyundai hadn't ironed out the bugs in the automatic transmission and engine controls for the hybrid models in 2013. Whether they have it solved in later models is an unknown. All I do know is that I'll never buy another hybrid again - the fuel savings aren't that great and the added components can lead to problems like these.
lol i just translated i'm not the guy with the problem XD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like you need to let it develop into a serious problem then take it back to the dealer.
Yea, I had sort of hoped it would get more serious, so that the dealer could diagnose and repair it. But it's been a year since it began happening and it still only happens on trips longer than ~ an hour.

The history is there.
Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by "the history is there". Unfortunately, the dealer says no codes are issued, so the history isn't there. But if you have an idea, please explain it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts