Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helloe peeps,

2013 Sonata hybrid Headlights SUCK!!! I am planning to install HID lights....but has some one tried adjusting the headlights so that the low beam throw is further away from the car then right in front of it.... is there good amoount of adjustability for low beam........Such an annoying light setup....

Will be playing with it soon when I install the HID kit...

Sandna...

·
Registered
537 Posts
The 2011 headlights were terrible, too. I think they're the same as the 2013's. Installed my HID's in 2012 and they're still going strong. The increase in brightness was amazing. It was by far the best mod I did.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank You Supercell.....I am planning to do the same.....DID YOU ADJUST THE HEADLIGHT THROW??? HOW MUCH ROOM TO YOU HAVE THERE TO ADJUSTE THE THROW ANGLE?? what i mean by room is how much adjustability to change the angle of throw??

Sandan

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thank You Supercell.....I am planning to do the same.....DID YOU ADJUST THE HEADLIGHT THROW??? HOW MUCH ROOM TO YOU HAVE THERE TO ADJUSTE THE THROW ANGLE?? what i mean by room is how much adjustability to change the angle of throw??

Sandan
I didn't have to adjust at all, they were plug and play. The HID's aligned perfectly and I've never had brights flashed at me since I installed them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Helloe peeps,

2013 Sonata hybrid Headlights SUCK!!! ...
Worst headlights I've had in 45 years are the wife's 2017 HSH Limited.

Now, if you're familiar with the 2017 HSH Limited, you know these are HID headlights that earned this lowest-ever grade. Let me assure you that you're assumption that an HID retrofit is a solution to your problem is false.

Learn to aim your headlights.
- HID lights were aimed at the trees when we received the car
- HID lights were aimed at the ground when the dealer "fixed" them
There are no excuses for these issues as the adjuster is very well engineered.

Even when properly aimed, you still have to deal with increased glare, and loss of shadow detail with HID headlights. Unless Hyundai has poorly engineered their system, these are inherent issues that can't be overcome.

BTW, the winner is the Ford C-Max; best headlights ever. Ford dealers can aim them, too.

Have fun,
Frank, who believes in upgrading only when there are improvements to be had.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Frank, do you have a spec or procedure on setting the headlights on the 2017 HSH Limited? My daughter just got this car, so I'd like to check the lights and adjust to proper spec. I know the basic procedure (flat area, project onto garage door, measure edges and lobes, adjust to spec), but I have no idea where to find the setup data. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys, new here to the site and to the car brand... I stumbled on this site searching for an calibration issue I thought I had with my Nav screen which I fixed by hitting the reset button...
But in response to this thread, YESSS the headlight anf Fog visibility is horrible, and am considering replacing the bulbs to LED or HID... any suggestions on quality products and pricing comparisons? Planning on doing both Low beam and Fogs together...
Thanx for the inputs in advance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Frank, do you have a spec or procedure on setting the headlights on ...
... any car? Sure. I drive around at night with adjusting tool(s) and a flashlight.

L/R is rarely an issue, just up/down. Hyundai's adjusters are among the best I've seen. A big Torx or Phillips screw driver engages a gear at the bottom of a short entry snout. You can find it in the dark after a while. I get them close on the road, then even them up on the garage door, as needed.

I've also taken to looking for threshold spots, roads where the lights hit a line (guardrail, lawn edge, etc.) when they're aimed right. Let's me limit that drive to my neighborhood.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
343 Posts
I guess I'll have to take that as a No; you don't have a spec. But thanks for the seat-of-your pants procedure. If I can't crib the spec from the dealer, I may well give the lights a look-see-adjust as you suggest.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I guess I'll have to take that as a No; you don't have a spec. But thanks for the seat-of-your pants procedure. If I can't crib the spec from the dealer, I may well give the lights a look-see-adjust as you suggest.
Here's the Head Lamp Aiming Instructions for 2013 Hybrid Models, no sure it's the same for the 2017 models, just use as reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
So... the spec is 0 degrees. Pattern cut off height is equal to headlight center height. Sounds simple, right?

The first problem is finding a suitable flat surface that allows you to look at the headlight pattern on a perpendicular wall, 25' away. All public paving is design so water drains well. So are your garage and driveway. The second, what if it's still not right (due to setting error, or a non-functional spec).

I therefore suggested an iterative process based on real-world performance... but it does require patience, and an acceptance that the perfect setting is the one that seems too high or too low with equal frequency.

And the second attachment has a nice diagram of the adjuster with a screwdriver in place. It's the fog light adjuster being shown in the diagram, but the adjusters look the same.

Have fun,
Frank

·
Registered
15 Posts
there is a slot for low beam up/down but there is no adjusting gear!
i like this 2013 sonata hybrid but the low beams are lousy! i replaced the stock bulbs with extravisions. they did not do much. then i installed a set of led bulbs. although brighter, the fans inside the headlight housings made a droning sound that was as loud as the engine running. today i installed a pair of silverstar ultra's, really not much better. the light thrown by the low beams drops off way too soon, it is unsafe to drive the car on secondary roads at night above 30 mph with the low beams on.
what do i do now?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, HSH Hybrid headlights are pathetic. I replaced my low beams with these LEDs and would recommend them: BPS 9012 Headlight Conversion with Lumileds 8000. Cost is just $60 a set from BPS in Canada. Once the correct connectors were sent to me, installation took much less than an hour. (No fans, and lights are still working fine after 2 years now.)

And the foglights are 0% useful. I believe they can take the same bulbs as the low-beams above. (Check with BPS, first).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I replaced my low beams with these LEDs and would recommend them: BPS 9012 Headlight Conversion with Lumileds 8000. Cost is just $60 a set from BPS in Canada.

I am trying to order low beam LED replacements for 2013 Sonata Hybrid. What are the "correct connectors" that I should make sure I get? Appreciate any help, as I have been having a heck of a time figuring out what will work!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's the Head Lamp Aiming Instructions for 2013 Hybrid Models, no sure it's the same for the 2017 models, just use as reference.
Could you possibly point me in the direction of the html files for 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Shop Manual where these screenshots were taken? I can't seem to find them after much searching. I would really appreciate it! :grin2:

·
Registered
2014 HSH Limited, black. With rear vents and heated seats! 165,000 km (103,000 miles) :)
61 Posts
Anyone have a link to specific low & high beams that work on the old HSH with projector headlights? I'm new to this and not sure if going LED is smart with projectors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts