Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Sonata GLS, and I am looking for a decent aftermarket rearview camera. The car does not have the nav screen, so the monitor would most likely need to be external. Just looking for something good for a decent price, that works well with the specific vehicle. Most of what I have looked at online either had horrible reviews or seemed like it would not work well on the sonata for one reason or another.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I would recommend looking for a dashcam/reverse camera. You can get a better variety of options that include the screen along with the added benefits of the dashcam. I have seen some that get just the reverse camera and it mounts on the rearview mirror so it is less invasive. Alternatively, you could look into the 4.3" radio with touchscreen and add the reverse cam that way. I am not sure about the wiring that would be necessary to change for that system, but since it doesn't have nav or any additional external amp, it might be pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any specific brands or anything? I don't really care about getting a dashcam, mostly just want the reverse camera.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I haven't used any personally, others have posted reviews about dashcams on here. If you want just the reverse camera, amazon reviews or otherwise would have more responses. Maybe someone else here can better answer about yf specific testing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am in the process of doing this as well. I just bought a 6" Garmin and installed that in the little cubby in front of the gear shift knob with a suction cup mount. Fits great but you do have to remove it if you need to get into the compartment or reach the usb or lighter. I plan on buying the Garmin BC30 and it will automatically turn the camera on when you put it in reverse. I'll try to put up a pic of the GPS intall in the next day or so. Quick, easy, and cheapest way I have found to do this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is what I have so far. I got a Garmin 2639LMT which is the 6” screen and it fits in the little cubby perfectly. I got a simple Scoche suction cup magnet mount and stuck it inside on the little wall there. I modded the gps clip by cutting a little over half of it off and glued on the metal plate for the magnet mount. The modded clip can be removed and just pop on a new one if you want to use the original Garmin mount. My next purchase will be the Garmin BC30 which is the GPS camera that turns on as soon as you put it in Reverse. Decent reviews on this camera. I really like the GPS down there as I never feel the need to pull it off the dash any more as it is pretty well out of sight now. Hopefully Santa brings me the backup camera and I can give a full write up.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts