Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Message popped up on my dash board just now. What tire pressure do the Kumho's which came with it take?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Look on the door pillar on drivers side (either front or rear door) and it should be there. Usually 29 psi front 32 psi rear.

·
22,793 Posts
I'm not sure what it says on your sidewall, but I'd fill it up to 34 psi for now. That should get you by for the time being.

But, MORE IMPORTANTLY, find out WHY the TMPS sensor alerted. Every 10 degree drop in temp equals one pound of drop in tire pressures.

Either you have picked up a small nail, etc., or some time has elapsed since you last checked your tire pressures. Not a good behavior in this weather.

·
22,793 Posts
Our 2013 says 33psi all four tires, right there by the drivers door.
I keep forgetting about the pressure recommendations on the door plate.

Mine say 32 PSI, but that's on junk OEM Continental ContiPro's. I'm running Turanza Serenity's now at 35-36 psi. Better MPG's without sacrificing comfort and quiet. And filled with nitrogen. I don't care how cold it gets outside. If my TPMS sensors alert, it's due to a puncture, not a pressure drop due to weather.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Mine says 33 for all four tires on door too. The car is 5 months old and and I haven't ever checked the tire pressure. It's 30 degrees where I live in Connecticut. Hopefully it's not a nail. Heading to a gas station now to inflate all 4 tires to 33 PSI if needed.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Mine say 32 PSI, but that's on junk OEM Continental ContiPro's. I'm running Turanza Serenity's now at 35-36 psi. Better MPG's without sacrificing comfort and quiet. And filled with nitrogen. I don't care how cold it gets outside. If my TPMS sensors alert, it's due to a puncture, not a pressure drop due to weather.
what size did you buy? i was looking at the contipro but like what i see about these..

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Thanks. Mine says 33 for all four tires on door too. The car is 5 months old and and I haven't ever checked the tire pressure. It's 30 degrees where I live in Connecticut. Hopefully it's not a nail. Heading to a gas station now to inflate all 4 tires to 33 PSI if needed.
You likely just need to top off. I go with 35 all around.

·
22,793 Posts
what size did you buy? i was looking at the contipro but like what i see about these..
Tommy, upgraded the size from 215/45R/17 to 215/50R/17. A tad bit taller offering more sidewall flex. Smoother ride. Tread is really quiet on the highway. Pirelli P7's also very highly rated and well constructed.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3 of the tires were about 31 psi and the 4th tire was low at 25 psi. Believe it or not I had trouble finding a service station near my house which had a pump with a gauge. Found one with a pump but no gauge. I finally found a gas station by my house that had a pump with a gauge. I filled all 4 tires to 33 psi as recommended on the door. I also went out and bought a gauge at Home Depot to keep in my glove compartment since when I bought my sonata I gave my son my Camry and the tire gauge was in his car.

Well, it's been 3 hours and 3 of the tires are still at 33 psi but the 4th tire is down to 30 psi so I must have a leak. The Pressure warning light hasn't come on yet. My sonata is relatively new and only has 4600 miles on it. Even if I went over a nail are the tires warranted for road hazards? Do you think I should bring it to the dealer or my local mechanic?

In any event, I will monitor it closely and I am sure the system will too :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
3 of the tires were about 31 psi and the 4th tire was low at 25 psi. Believe it or not I had trouble finding a service station near my house which had a pump with a gauge. Found one with a pump but no gauge. I finally found a gas station by my house that had a pump with a gauge. I filled all 4 tires to 33 psi as recommended on the door. I also went out and bought a gauge at Home Depot to keep in my glove compartment since when I bought my sonata I gave my son my Camry and the tire gauge was in his car.

Well, it's been 3 hours and 3 of the tires are still at 33 psi but the 4th tire is down to 30 psi so I must have a leak. The Pressure warning light hasn't come on yet. My sonata is relatively new and only has 4600 miles on it. Even if I went over a nail are the tires warranted for road hazards? Do you think I should bring it to the dealer or my local mechanic?

If you didn't purchase a road hazard package for the tires when you bought the Sonata, it isn't covered under warranty. My dealer only charged me $20 to plug one of my tires after picking up a nail.

·
22,793 Posts

Glad you're almost out of the woods. Check it soon as you can in the morning before you head out to get it fixed.

Tire warranties on new cars are honored by the tire manufacturer. But road hazard is NOT one of the items they warranty. Only defects in material and workmanship, and then, for only so long and so many miles.

I'm guessing a nail in the tread. Simple $0-15 fix at the local tire store. Maybe free at your dealer if they're in a good mood. Discount Tire, also a good choice, if nearby. Either one will repair it properly.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree it's probably a nail so I might as well bring it to my local mechanic. I was pretty careful about making sure all 4 tires were inflated to 33 psi so the one that was low going down 3 psi within 3 hours must mean it was a nail.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree it's probably a nail so I might as well bring it to my local mechanic. I was pretty careful about making sure all 4 tires were inflated to 33 psi so the one that was low going down 3 psi within 3 hours must mean it was a nail.
With that said if it's simply a nail I will have my mechanic fix it but if mechanic thinks that tire has a leak due to a defect I will bring it to the dealer.

·
Registered
326 Posts

You do understand you are apparently posting apparently information about your 2013 Elantra in the Sonata forum and what you are posting is VERY MISLEADING, WRONG, and UNHELPFUL.

Larry

·
Registered
326 Posts
With that said if it's simply a nail I will have my mechanic fix it but if mechanic thinks that tire has a leak due to a defect I will bring it to the dealer.
Don't expect your Dealer to so SQUAT except refer you to a tire shop and probably an expensive one at that.

Larry

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Larry, did we wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Discount Tire will repair the tire for free. They dismount the the tire and patch/plug from the inside.

Dont use those DIY plugs from the gas station.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't expect your Dealer to so SQUAT except refer you to a tire shop and probably an expensive one at that.

Larry
Didn't have to. My local mechanic who is 3 miles from my home fixed it. Was a piece of plastic in the center tread. Charged $20 to repair the tire.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts