Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help. If I am reading the 2013 Sonata GLS owner's manual correctly the 1st scheduled maintenance to change the oil and filter is at 7,500 miles. Is that correct? I currently have about 3,300 miles and do mostly highway driving. My salesman at the time of the purchase mentioned to me that the 1st oil and filter change by the dealer was at 2,500 miles and that every other service was "free". I am skeptical of that. The Dealer probably has twice as many service visits as opposed to the Sonata owner manual's recommendation. If it's too good to be true (every other service is free) it probably is. No free lunch ;)

·
Registered
920 Posts
There's always the 3750 interval under "severe" driving conditions. But that sounds about right what the manual says. My turbo says 3k first then 4800 from then on. So my guess would be fine if you do it like the manual says. The dealerships always try to get people in for small things. Anything for an extra buck in there fat wallets.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
your looking at the normal scheduled log vs the severe service log, 3750 for "severe driving" 7500 for "normal driving" read further in your manual to see in which category you fall into.

Hint: the majority fall within the severe service table.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do mostly highway driving under normal driving conditions so I think 7,500 miles is alright for me. But I live in Connecticut in we have the winters..... Decisions, decisions? I hope if I choose the 7,500 mile service interval that it does not void the warranty.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I do mostly highway driving under normal driving conditions so I think 7,500 miles is alright for me. But I live in Connecticut in we have the winters..... Decisions, decisions? I hope if I choose the 7,500 mile service interval that it does not void the warranty.
Try 5k. No worries about the warranty.

·
Registered
190 Posts
What about the theory that a new engine might have some loose metal splinters and therefore you should get new oil at about 2,500?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Just my 2 cents here...for a very first oil change I normally do mine at around 3,000 miles just to get the break in metals out quicker. After that I've done 7,000 - 7,500 mile intervals. I'm about to cross 60,000 this week with no issues so far. Check out the Oil Analysis sticky thread at the top of the forum. You'll see a couple of my oil analysis reports in there from my Sonata and Elantra. I too am mainly highway...80 mile commute a day.

I was a little skeptical about going to a longer interval as well because since I got my first car (in the '90s) it was always beaten into my head to do 3,000/3 month oil changes. That doesn't apply anymore. Oil, filters and engines are far better than what they were a couple of decades ago and go longer between changes. One of my reports is a 6,000 interval just to see what the oil was like and to give me warm and fuzzies about going longer. I'm planning to stay at 7,500 mile interval for the duration of my warranty and then probably go to a 10,000 mile interval.

The key to going longer intervals is to always use a good filter. Try and use the Hyundai OEM filter if you do your own changes or go to a shop other than the dealer. If your local dealer parts center doesn't sell them cheap there are plenty of places on the web (ie, ebay) that sell them cheap. I get mine for $4.64 a filter at the dealer close to my work. The dealer I bought the car from wants $10 a filter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am not trying to sell anyone on my theory, but I do oil changes on the following schedule:
1,000 miles
2,500 miles
5,000 miles
Every 5,000 after that

By far my biggest concern is the "floaties" that are likely to appear in the first few thousand miles. After that, although I believe 7,500 is probably OK, every 5,000 is a nice round number that even a dummy like me can remember, and I know that if the situation causes me to go an extra 200 - 300 miles, I'm still plenty safe.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Since it was free, I did my first one at 2,000 miles. Since most of my driving is short distance I will probably change at 3,000 miles until the free oil changes are used up. Then I will go to 4,000 miles. Oil and filters are cheap. $24.95 where I live. And it is in the dealer computer if anything ever goes wrong.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Since it was free, I did my first one at 2,000 miles. Since most of my driving is short distance I will probably change at 3,000 miles until the free oil changes are used up. Then I will go to 4,000 miles. Oil and filters are cheap. $24.95 where I live. And it is in the dealer computer if anything ever goes wrong.

And I would go with the factory filters. I like their gasket design better and they are really inexpensive regardless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts