Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have suggestions for how I might determine the stock tint on the windows of my wife's '13 SFS 2.0T AWD w/Tech Package? The vehicle was sold in Georgia.

If you need additional info, just let me know.

Thanks.

·
Banned
435 Posts
Sure, you go to your local tint installer (any one will do) and ask to have your tint checked. They will get out a little gizmo, ask you to roll your windows down a bit, fire up the gizmo, and read out a VLT percentage (visible light transmitted). Presumably, you should then have the info you need in order to ...

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I have the 2013 SFS 2.4 FWD with all packages. I went to my local police station for info. My back door windows measured at 28%. They told me I could paint them, and the back window, black if I wanted as long as I had side view mirrors. They told me 35% was the minimum I could do the front door windows, which is what I did. And I couldn't do anything to the windshield.

That's. MA law. I suggest you check with your local police so you know the law for your area when you deal with a tint shop.

John

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have the 2013 SFS 2.4 FWD with all packages. I went to my local police station for info. My back door windows measured at 28%. They told me I could paint them, and the back window, black if I wanted as long as I had side view mirrors. They told me 35% was the minimum I could do the front door windows, which is what I did. And I couldn't do anything to the windshield.

That's. MA law. I suggest you check with your local police so you know the law for your area when you deal with a tint shop.

John
You do realize all windows have a 3-5% tint built into them right? So you had them put 35% or 30% on? Seen people get pinched for that before... kinda lame imo but...

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,222 Posts
A new Santa Fe I brought back had a 30% tint and it was more than sufficient and made a HUGE difference in cabin comfort. The dealer add-on was $199. Seems reasonable to me.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
A new Santa Fe I brought back had a 30% tint and it was more than sufficient and made a HUGE difference in cabin comfort. The dealer add-on was $199. Seems reasonable to me.
I paid $100 for the two front door windows. It was done by a Llumar authorized dealer using Llumar film. He did a great job. No bubbles, wrinkles, close to edge of glass, and color matches other windows. It looks factory installed.

I was so pleased, I had him do all 4 doors and back window on my 06 Sonata. Then, I was so pleased with that, I had him do 8 windows on the sunny side of my house.

I highly recommend using a Llumar authorized dealer if you want some windows tinted.
John

·
Registered
759 Posts
I had 20% done to my front windows - which matched the back window tint.... $50/window

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had 20% done to my front windows - which matched the back window tint.... $50/window
I ask you this question since you have a Canadian Santa Fe and sometimes the US and CAN version differ...

Do you know what was the factory default tint for the driver and passenger windows (front ones)?

20% means that the glass lets 80% of the light in right? The law here in Quebec is 70% minimum so the tint can only be 30% max but having all 4 windows match looks better of course...

·
Registered
413 Posts
I ask you this question since you have a Canadian Santa Fe and sometimes the US and CAN version differ...

Do you know what was the factory default tint for the driver and passenger windows (front ones)?

20% means that the glass lets 80% of the light in right? The law here in Quebec is 70% minimum so the tint can only be 30% max but having all 4 windows match looks better of course...
It's less than 5%.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
You do realize all windows have a 3-5% tint built into them right? So you had them put 35% or 30% on? Seen people get pinched for that before... kinda lame imo but...
The percentage amount in measuring tint is the amount of light that is allowed through so if stock were really three to five percent, it would be limo tint dark because the smaller the number, the less light makes it through. In reality, stock solar tint is somewhere in the neighborhood of 95 to 97%. So in a way, you are right: subtracting 3-5% from your film choice (i.e. 35%) would give you the total tint level.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The percentage amount in measuring tint is the amount of light that is allowed through so if stock were really three to five percent, it would be limo tint dark because the smaller the number, the less light makes it through. In reality, stock solar tint is somewhere in the neighborhood of 95 to 97%. So in a way, you are right: subtracting 3-5% from your film choice (i.e. 35%) would give you the total tint level.
See if that was the way everyone would think then yes. But When people say they want 35%, they are referring to the amount of light blocked. The means of measuring tint is not the same as the style of tint. Please don't confuse them. And why do you play dumb? You obviously know what everyone is referring too...

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
See if that was the way everyone would think then yes. But When people say they want 35%, they are referring to the amount of light blocked. The means of measuring tint is not the same as the style of tint. Please don't confuse them. And why do you play dumb? You obviously know what everyone is referring too...
There's no need to cop an attitude. I was simply clarifying it so please watch your tone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts