1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

My first post and I am desperate ...

Got a Santa Fe XL 2013 Luxury.

Problem: When I press the brake the two tail lights don't go on. The 3rd one (top), does. Couise Control works as expected.

What I have done so far: I change the brake lights and the switch under dash. No go. I checked fuses (2 fuses inside left under stearing wheel) are all fine.

What can I do (besides going to dealer, they will rip me off)?
The car has 105000 km (5k over warranty period, typical ...)

I am handy and and good with electronics, so I know how to use a multimeter, just no experience with cars ...

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hmm, very odd that both of the tail lights goes out at the same time. In some Kia vehicles there's this main yellow fuse inside the cabin and all you have to do is pull it out and check that fuse, it works to numerous members but I don't know if our XL has that fuse or not. Another option is to actually check to see if those tail lights are actually working as it should be then you can rule that out, sorry I couldn't help much but it doesn't hurt to try these options first. GL!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,451 Posts
First check all the fuses (again)
Inspect the sockets for corrosion
Take the multi-meter and see if there is voltage at the socket (may need another person to step on brakes)
And then check for ground (a test light connected to B+)
Remember loaded circuits will give you better results (such as an ohm reading from ground to ground is not a loaded circuit)

From there you should be able to trace wires if that's the problem
I usually find the sockets are full of corrosion and the ground side is opened

Note: If one doesn't always check his brake lights then one bulb can go out and a week later the other one
Then when one does check it, both lights are out. They were put it at the same time then it could burn out nearly the same time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can't remember if it was my Sonata or 1st generation Genesis but one of those cars had a diode that would fail causing the brake lights to stop working. It was a fairly common issue and inexpensive repair. You might want to do some google searching and see if it also impacted your generation Santa Fe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

I will double check the fuses and check the voltages to ground etc. as suggested.

This idea with the diode sounds interesting. I would like investigate that further. Anybody have a wiring diagram, or know where the diode is located?

Thanks for your thoughts so far!!

Eddi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I checked under the dash and I cannot find a diode anywhere. according to the Genesis Bulletin, its a diode holder in a wire harness (may not be the same for the santa fe xl).
I checked all the harnesses I could see and touch and no diode holder.

Would be nice, if somebody know where the diode is located on the sante fe xl for me to check.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
OK...You "seem" to indicate that you went straight to a diode hunt. Did you check for power and ground at the bulb sockets? If not, as someone already mentioned, that is the first place to start. Start simple or there is a good chance that the tail will be wagging the dog. Common Technician problem :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

you are correct, I "jumped" right to the diode. Reason is simple, I was hoping to find and test the diode during my lunch break, because it seemed a quick and easy check. That way I can eliminate one problem already, at least that was the idea.

I'll check the wiring tonight, but if somebody knows the diode location and can post it, that would be great. If I can't find and fix the problem today I will have to take the car in to the dealer tomorrow, hate doing that if I can avoid it.

Thanks for your thoughts so far!!!

Eddi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

you are correct, I "jumped" right to the diode. Reason is simple, I was hoping to find and test the diode during my lunch break, because it seemed a quick and easy check. That way I can eliminate one problem already, at least that was the idea.

I'll check the wiring tonight, but if somebody knows the diode location and can post it, that would be great. If I can't find and fix the problem today I will have to take the car in to the dealer tomorrow, hate doing that if I can avoid it.

Thanks for your thoughts so far!!!

Eddi

Hello Eddi. Were you able to resolve your issue. I find myself in the same boat and will like to know how you resolve it

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,451 Posts
How did you check the stoplight fuse?
Did you use a test light and check the two test points on the fuse for power?
Did you pull the fuse out and see whether it was blown or not?

·
Registered
2017 Santa Fe XL Luxury
27 Posts
Have a look at this. The repair makes the video quite long but the problem is diagnosed during the first 7 minutes. The issue was a bad connection somewhere in the wire harness in the steering column for the turn signal switch. The diagnostic procedure was easy but the repair was not, unfortunately. GL

·
Registered
6 Posts
How did you check the stoplight fuse?
Did you use a test light and check the two test points on the fuse for power?
Did you pull the fuse out and see whether it was blown or not?
I actually put a new fuse. I pulled the fuse and it was not blown. I will try to test the fuse point. Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,451 Posts
I actually put a new fuse. I pulled the fuse and it was not blown. I will try to test the fuse point. Thanks
Was just trying to see if you found power going to the fuse?
Does the third or high brake light work?
Did you check to see if power and ground is supplied to the light socket?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts