Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2013 SF Sport 2.0T AWD (Canadian) with 6sp auto tranny.
Sometimes when first start a car vehicle would "slam" into gear when shifting up/down. Literally slams into next gear so much that whole car would shake up (my wife calls it a "hick-up").
Since wife is driving this vehicle most of the time we try to narrow it down to...when it would happen...try to predict.
So far it seems only if car sits for 2-3 days in a garage. Even then not every time and only in the first 10-15min of driving. After that "smooths" out and shifts normally.
Tranny is sealed and no way for me to check fluid level. No leaks on a garage floor. No check engine light or any other warning signs/beeps - only this hard slamming into next gear up or down ('till is warmed up!).
Took it to a dealership service and they will keep it overnight and try to test it tomorrow. Since it is only Hyundai service in town had to take it there but heard from other owners that they are known for not being good and sometimes not being to fix obvious issues/problems. Car is still under warranty (27000kms) and so far no problems of any kind.

Ant ideas what could be the issue here? Is there a "tranny scanner" service can hook up and read codes or faults?
Advices?

Thx in advance

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got a call from service...
"they could not replicate a problem..."
What to do?
Try to explain service guy why would I drop of car if it was not broken/defective. They claim they do not get paid from Hyundai if they replace working parts...

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
For sure the tranny can store fault codes, it's computer controlled. Did you ask the dealer if it was check for stored codes ? Could be an intermittent electrical issue - bad connection or something like that and those can be devilish. Yes of course dealer can't just start replacing parts if they don't have a definite or very reasonable suspect, on auto boards sometimes you read about when car owners start " throwing parts at the problem" without really knowing what the is causing the problem and sometimes spend major $$$ without fixing the issue.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
also you might see if you can get the problem escalated to Hyundai as they maintain database with problems and might have something similar. On older cars if there was a fault with the gear selector switch it would cause abrupt shifts but only after the engine reved to higher rpms. the shifting process as an fyi is done by solenoids which generally provide for nice smooth shifts. Sometimes a dealer will reflash the tanny SW.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talked to manager at service dept and he authorized replacement of tranny oil temp sensor (as per TSB 13-AT-012 and TSB 14-AT-010).
Should be done by tomorrow afternoon...
I will post again results and outcome.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I purchased a 2013 SF Sport 2.0T last week, and noticed the shifting was a bit "abrupt" when cold and first starting out for the day. It would smooth out as the vehicle warmed up. For the 1st few days I used Eco mode as it seemed to make the shifting process a bit smoother, but a few days ago I ended up getting a tranny flush. My SF has 79k km's and the change turned out to be a good thing as the old fluid was really quite dark. It shifts noticeably better now.

I'm not a mechanic and don't know if this would help you or not, just relating having the same vehicle with the same symptoms you were mentioning. Good luck with your fix.

Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm currently going through this issue right now with my 2013 SFS 2.0T AWD. When I told my service attendant what the issue was, he told me that "unfortunately the transmission issue is much more common than we'd like to admit". He called me a few hours later after they had confirmed the problem and said that the transmission temperature sensor would have to be replaced. Sounds simple enough until I found out what it was going to cost. If not for my extended warranty I purchased with the car (as I purchased the car used from a Ford dealership), it would have been over $500 to fix. My warranty is covering $311 and I am responsible for the $200 deductible on it.

The car only has 65k miles on it. I'm hoping this won't be a recurring issue. I'll report back after the service is completed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
***UPDATE***

Finally got the car back from the dealership today with the following resolution:

"Upon verification of customer concern performed DTC scan and found DTC P0713 trans temp sensor "A" circuit high input. Followed TSB 15-AT-011 and determined temp sensor harness was faulty and needs replacement."

The car drove fine on the way home, if I experience any further issues I'll report back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I looked at that TSB and it seems to cover/confirm the use of a particular automatic transmission fluid only for the Hyundai Automatic Transaxle and the fact that Hyundai does not approve the use of any aftermarket additives. I thought perhaps it might be a TSB on the temp sensor harness. Is there a reference for Santa Fe TSB's available ?

Gary

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I looked at that TSB and it seems to cover/confirm the use of a particular automatic transmission fluid only for the Hyundai Automatic Transaxle and the fact that Hyundai does not approve the use of any aftermarket additives. I thought perhaps it might be a TSB on the temp sensor harness. Is there a reference for Santa Fe TSB's available ?

Gary
Nowadays I think few if any makers recommend using additives to the auto boxes, for the most part they are precision engineered and depend on certain characteristics of the fluid to function properly, so when the fluid is cold the application of the shift solenoids function differently than when at warm operating temp, hence the hard shift when the fluid sensor signal is not getting to the computer .

I'm planning on either flushing or doing a drain and fill at 60k miles as I do believe it ultimately extends the longevity of the tranny - so did you have the flush done at the dealer and what did it set you back , dealer or otherwise.

I've done flushes in the garage using the tranny cooling lines to the radiator, I just haven't looked at the SFS to guage the complexity of that, but with the 2.0T and external cooler it might be not that difficult to get at the the plumbing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Because I had just purchased my 2013 SF Sport a few weeks ago, I wanted to ensure I was starting with all clean fluids. I got an oil change, and also a transmission flush at the same time. Having just turned over 80k km's (50,000 miles) the fluid was quite dark. After the oil and trans fluid change it shifts so smooth. Now just got to get the rad flushed. My last vehicle was a 2008 Highlander. Toyota dealer says no need to change the transmission fluid at all. I had it flushed every 20k and had absolutely no issue's. I also had a Camry that we used to go to Arizona and back to Canada 2-3 times a year. It was pushed pretty hard not to mention the heat in the Phoenix area. We flushed the transmission fluid every year, and with almost 200k it had no issues. When it comes to transmissions/trans axles, preventative maintenance really makes a difference.

I have a brother-in-law who owns 3 "Great Cdn Oil Change" outlets. None where I live, but he does give me periodic advice, and the 15 minute flush is well worth the money in my opinion. I pay $85.00 for that clean fluid and peace of mind. I watched while they did my flush and they had no problems hooking up to the transmission cooling lines. It took about 6-8 minutes as the new fluid was drawn in and the old fluid sucked out. I just don't understand why dealers are telling their customers not to worry about changing out the fluid. Like almost any/all consumer vehicles, the transmission fluid heats up considerably, especially with stop and go traffic, breaking down, and eventually causing damage/shifting issue's.

Gary

·
Registered
11 Posts
A couple weeks ago I too felt the hard shifting problem, especially into 2nd and 3rd gears. Only happened for a few minutes before I got on the highway and when I got off the problem wasn't there anymore. Fast-forward a week or so to last Friday, when the hard shifting started happening again. It would "lurch" into gear, whether upshifting or downshifting. Then it smoothed out but the check engine light came on. Stayed on for about an hour or so, so I took it to AutoZone (it was late and my dealership was closed) to get the code. They told me it was P0711 which is "Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Range Performance". The check engine light went out while I was there, I honestly don't know if it did it on it's own or if AutoZone somehow reset it. Either way, made an appointment with the dealership who confirmed that the sensor was faulty and needed to be replaced, which they did in about 2 hours. I've got 44K miles on it so it was covered under warranty, thankfully.

For what it's worth, the hard shifting only seemed to happen when I first started driving the car. Overall, I experienced it three times, and each time was either before or as the car came up to normal operating temperature. After 10 minutes or so of driving things would smooth out so I suppose the hot fluid was making up for anything the sensor was telling the TCM?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just had the seal on the transmission replaced due to leaking.

Unfortunately once they got it apart it was decided to order a new transmission . The Santa Fe only has 30000 kms.... good news it is under warranty bad news the tranny comes from Korea and it wont be in until sometime in January.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow. I haven't been on this site in quite awhile and have been experiencing the same with my 2014 2.4 Sport Lux here in Montreal. Left if overnight with them so they could cold start it and drive off before the problem smoothed out. They did all the computer checking, sent info to Toronto (head office?) and they could not explain the problem other than it happens to some of them.
I am getting quite fed up with this annoying problem so if it is simply a Tranny Temp sensor, I will have to ask if they checked this or do so if not.
....Now if there is another thread about solutions for the differential knocking when turning a corner and for a good 20 feet after straitening out...+ one where the washer fluid won't work periodically even when topped off, I'll be a happy camper.
...I think I got the Friday afternoon model off the assembly line.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I purchased a used 2013 SFS Limited with 2.0 Turbo with 80,000kms and I have always had a really rough shift from 2-3 in the winter. I brought this concern up with the dealer who said it's normal when it's cold. It bothered me but as the seasons changed and the weather got warmer the issue went away.

Until yesterday. I was having extremely hard shifts for the first few minutes of driving. I went to the the store about 5 minutes far away, and about 3/4 of the way there the shifting became smooth again. I was in the store for about 5 or 10 minutes and the issue was back for the ride home. Again, it went away after 3/4 of the drive.

Today it's still happening. Same drive, same symptoms, except the check engine light has come on now.

I have an OBDII reader attached at all times (one of those ones that gets you an insurance discount if you allow a third-party to monitor your driving habits) and fortunately the web page they give me access to shows all kinds of information including check-engine light info. I am just waiting for the data to be uploaded and then I'll check the code.

The worst part of this, is that I am 1600km out of warranty, and I had brought this in with shifting concerns in the winter and again brought it up in the spring. I'm going to have to see if they'll help me out because this issue was there before warranty was up. Arg.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.