Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my front two tires replaced on my Sonata SE at Goodyear, and a day or two later noticed that there are circular scratches around the rim. I've had this car for only 5 months, wash it frequently, and treat it like it's my baby. I certainly would have noticed this before if Goodyear didn't do it. Anyway, it's been 3 days since I had them put on and I'm heading back tonight to hopefully get this worked out. Basically I'm looking for two new rims. The back rims which they didn't touch look absolutely fine. I can't imagine hitting anything with the rims and causing such a scratch, especially when the back ones look fine.

Has anyone had any experience dealing with this kind of stuff? Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm not about to accept scratches on the rims of my 5 month old car - no way!

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Good luck with them replacing the rims! I had a similar problem, not with Goodyear but I was told that it could have been me!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Hind sight sells for a million bucks but if you have tires replaces you should really look over you car prior to accepting it. This also should be done with other car maintenance. As soon as you leave the lot "its your fault".

Its sucky. Typically when I have tires done I wash/wax then front/rear and snap a picture with my phone in their lot. Then when I get the car I look for nick/scratches prior to even going into the store.

As reus49 indicates, its going to be an uphill battle but at least you should try.

·
Registered
342 Posts
That is highly irritating . I would suggest trying to get them to fix it by asking nicely .. Which they will say no of course.. Then start climbing the corporate ladder until someone offers to fix it. The sooner the better too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hind sight sells for a million bucks but if you have tires replaces you should really look over you car prior to accepting it. This also should be done with other car maintenance. As soon as you leave the lot "its your fault".

Its sucky. Typically when I have tires done I wash/wax then front/rear and snap a picture with my phone in their lot. Then when I get the car I look for nick/scratches prior to even going into the store.

As reus49 indicates, its going to be an uphill battle but at least you should try.
I agree a little late to get the cow back in the barn so to speak. You can ask, but I wouldn't push it further than that and just accept that I had made a mistake by not checking for damage before driving it away.

Larry

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i too now snap photos of my wheels and tires. ususally, when the service writer comes out and gets the information (VIN, mileage, etc), i'm walking around my car snapping pictures of 1) wheels and 2) any existing scratches. this way, he knows i am taking note. he is seeing me do this and he might relay this onto the service tech or not, but he at least knows i'm doing it right there in front of them.

it takes less than a minute to complete. since i started this practice about 2 yrs ago, i've never had a new scratch on the car or wheels not rotated or scratched upon them returning it to me.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah you should of looked over your car before leaving the tire shop. I ran over a nail in my r/front tire and took it to sears to get patched. I told the service writer to write on the work order do not scratch the rim. I also personally spoke with the mechanic who was fixing it and let him know im very picky about my car and not to scratch the rim. Unfortunately in your case it may be too late because you left the premises without looking over your car. I'd be very pissed off but i don't think you'll get anywhere with them. Good luck trying though.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sounding too good - ugh. Definitely worth a stop in though, and climb the ladder if I need to. If they are so sure they didn't do it, show me what you used for the wheel, and let's see if it matches up with where the scratches are. I'm not planning on giving up too easily. I take my car to get cared for my professionals, I assume it will come out looking like it went in.

·
22,788 Posts
Typically when I have tires done I wash/wax then front/rear and snap a picture with my phone in their lot. Then when I get the car I look for nick/scratches prior to even going into the store.
I like this idea. Gonna borrow this page from your "Bearcats' Book on Self-Protection!"

I like everyone of these comments. Looks like me and my iPhone are going to become ever better acquainted.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Ill also add another tip to tire/rim inspection. They have to use that "goop" to create a slip to get the tire on. Have wet naps (Baby wipies) if you are ever in doubt. You can use the wipie to help remove that goop easier and determine if its just goop or a scratch.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not sounding too good - ugh. Definitely worth a stop in though, and climb the ladder if I need to. If they are so sure they didn't do it, show me what you used for the wheel, and let's see if it matches up with where the scratches are. I'm not planning on giving up too easily. I take my car to get cared for my professionals, I assume it will come out looking like it went in.
Never assume anything. Im a bit older so I've had my experiences with knuckleheads that's why i always let people know what i expect before working on anything i own. Taking pics before is a great idea and let them see you doing it. Chalk this up as a lesson and im sure you'll do things differently from now on but give it a shot and see what they'll do for you.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i started my routine not because of scratches, but it is an added benefit. i started it because i was suspecting i wasn't getting my tires rotated when i was paying for it. it slowly grew into documenting how my car looked when given to you at the time and how i expect it back when you give it back to me. one thing to note: if you take the pictures prior too work being done, ask the service writer to see the car BEFORE you sign the ticket. my dealership has never had a problem with me doing this. it has proven itself worth the time since i started this.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i started my routine not because of scratches, but it is an added benefit. i started it because i was suspecting i wasn't getting my tires rotated when i was paying for it. it slowly grew into documenting how my car looked when given to you at the time and how i expect it back when you give it back to me. one thing to note: if you take the pictures prior too work being done, ask the service writer to see the car BEFORE you sign the ticket. my dealership has never had a problem with me doing this. it has proven itself worth the time since i started this.
I've been known to chalk mark my front tires before a rotation to be sure they wind up on the back.

·
22,788 Posts
Ill also add another tip to tire/rim inspection. They have to use that "goop" to create a slip to get the tire on. Have wet naps (Baby wipies) if you are ever in doubt. You can use the wipie to help remove that goop easier and determine if its just goop or a scratch.
+1 Once that crap dries on the rim, it is going to take more than a spray wand to get it off.

I had to remove it from a wheel that had a "bead leak." Not difficult, just time consuming. The tire tech had slung that stuff everywhere! I waited until I got home to clean it. Made a few stops along the way. Dried!!!! Thank heaven for them being chrome rims and freshly waxed.

@DFWdude: not a bad idea, either. I'm due for a rotation and balance in about 1,000 miles. Hmm....sneaky, I like it!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My rims got scratched just from Discount Tire just rotating the tires. That's because they leaned one tire on the rim of another while they were working. These rims scratch pretty easily under those conditions and you need to point out our expectations to any tire shop no matter what work you are having done.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
OP...welcome to yet another Sonata-specific club! Our membership is, sadly, going up due to untrained tire techs and outdated machines.

I too had my beautiful SE rims done (by Discount Tire as well) when I got my first flat on my oem Hankooks 3 years ago. Unlike the rest of you, I got "urban" on the tech and manager after noticing the 4 inch gouge on my wheel.

Long story short, I made them cop to it and pay up. Originally I wanted a brand new wheel and they agreed. Unfortunately, the figured out how much they cost from the dealer (no way I was going to take a refinished one) and then they decided to just comp me the price of the tire (little under $300).

Lesson to all of us: buy your tires from there or online, then have them mounted and balanced at a professional wheel shop or the dealer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I too had a similar ordeal on my brand new set of rims I bought for the Sonata. I needed new tires so went to Sam's club because they had them cheaper than anyone else. They scratched and I mean tore them up. I filed a complaint with the manager and had them pay for the refinishing which cost them $550 because they were machined wheels. They look brand new now but I definitely inspect and take pictures of my car before I take it in to any shop. Lesson learned.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts