Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Santa Fe XL V6
Does this vehicle have a timing chain or belt? Someone told us the timing cover was leaking.
Does this car have a belt that has to be changed periodically to avoid 'interference motor' pile up? If it is a timing chain, what is the mileage it has to be done?

Is the 3.3L V6 GDI DOHC 24-valve engine the only one that came in the 2013 Santa Fe?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I can't say for sure but my guess is a timing chain. If it is a chain there is no specified change interval. You just drive it and look after it with regular services and good oil and it will last. The only time they pull them apart is when something goes wrong and hopefully it's not a "interference motor pile up" as you so eloquently described.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back charlescrown. I have a feeling the 3.3L V6 is a chain. I think the 'pile up' design is as wrong as, the GPS guided tooth brush.
tinkering

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally found this:
From 2010 to 2021 all Hyundai Santa Fe models have timing chains and interference engines. From 2001 to 2009 the 3.3L Santa Fe has a timing chain and interference engine while the 2.4L, 2.7L and 3.5L have timing belts and interference engines.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Most modern engines are interference for two reasons.
High compression requires the piston to come close to the top of the combustion chamber, where the valves are.
Even more so with diesels.
Free breathing for high revving power requires the valves to open widely with high lift.
So the valves and pistons have to share the same space.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our 2013 Santa Fe XL has a small amount of oil collecting around the timing cover area but not enough to form a drip. I am going to put some Blue Devil in with the next oil change. I don't think it's necessary to change the cover seal.
Most modern engines are interference for two reasons.
High compression requires the piston to come close to the top of the combustion chamber, where the valves are.
Even more so with diesels.
Free breathing for high revving power requires the valves to open widely with high lift.
So the valves and pistons have to share the same space.
That is great info Circuitsmith. Thanks. The quest for power would then be the main reason for the interference. I know power trumps longevity most of the time when it comes to marketing; there needs to be another solution but this is what it is. I am skeptical of the self drive toothbrush.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Circuitsmith,
This quote is from another H-F thread Hyundai Tucson 2016 Timing Chain Life, "Using a higher viscosity oil and an oil that better handles soot in GDI engines will extend the life of the chain."
How much higher viscosity than what the factory recommends is still a safe oil for that motor?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't think the chain in these Hyundai engines need anything higher than xw-30 or xw-40 for turbos.
What really assures long chain life is clean oil, so change it at a conservative interval to remove soot and other abrasives.
Even the fanciest oil is no good if it's full of grit.
So I go 5000 miles max in my non-turbo engine. If turbo I'd go 4000 or less.
I'd do the same with any other brand, even ones like Toyota or BMW, that call for 10k miles or more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think the chain in these Hyundai engines need anything higher than xw-30 or xw-40 for turbos.
What really assures long chain life is clean oil, so change it at a conservative interval to remove soot and other abrasives.
Even the fanciest oil is no good if it's full of grit.
So I go 5000 miles max in my non-turbo engine. If turbo I'd go 4000 or less.
I'd do the same with any other brand, even ones like Toyota or BMW, that call for 10k miles or more.
Recommended weight for the 3.3L gasoline engine is 5W30. So it's best to stick with the manufacturer's recommendations. That's excellent thanks. Nothing beats frequent oil changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts