Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Dont heat it too much, head twist and it done

Seen head bolts pull thread out of block.. went to take head off, and half the bolts was loose, and more snug toward other end,, put new gasket on, and run bolts down, and start with first pass of 27, end 2 bolt at cylinder just kept rotating, never thought about getting snug,, need short block now,, Hyundai gave in and replaced engine from parts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I drove to the cottage and back on the weekend with my phone pulling data from.the ECU. I topped off the coolant before going. 3 hours there and no issues. Temperature was between 199-220 one it heated up.

However, on the way back, 1 hour into the drive I saw the needle move again and the ECU was reporting the increase in temperature. Mostly 230-240 got it moving towards red. So I believe it indeed is the coolant getting hot.

I stopped the car, waited 15 minutes, took off the radiator cap and noticed I couldn't see any coolant. I was able to add 500ml-1litre or so. I could see the overflow was well above max (and the coolant was very cool when I dipped my finger in the overflow).

In addition I did the cabin heater test. It was not working or at best working randomly (when I attempted to run the heater when I noticed the heater gauge going above 230). It was blowing cool air when the engine was getting very hot.

So after adding the coolant (topping it off when clearly it could take more), the car ran fine. Temperature range was 180-220. Hot cabin air was working.

I do not believe I have a leak. I've ran the car and looked under the car for coolant. I dont see any.

So where is the coolant going? What I did notice is that something is pushing the coolant out the overflow (through the overflow nozel located high in the overflow tank. It isn't dripping out onto the floor because there is a felt like padding against the wall of the car and it is absorbing the fluid and I assume the heat burns/dries it by the time one can see it. If I press the fel against the side of the car it is drenched with coolant. I also place a rag in between the tank overflow nozzle and the wall of the car and it too came drenched (note I inspected the tank for a crack, no crack and the rag was high up against the overflow nozzle, so it's the nozzle).

So what is causing the coolant out the overflow tank nozle?? Then reducing coolant level in the radiator?

Is it a stuck or damaged thermostat? Stopping the normal flow of coolant and high pressure/heat areas? Guess I'll find out tomorrow when the part comes in...
Go buy a LISLE coolant funnel at part store.

take the funnel and stick it in the hole (usually fits with no adapter, I dont mess with the adapters..

partially fill funnel with coolant, start engine and watch for fizz / bubbles

I'm already leaning on head bolt issue with block

1 - 3 of 3 Posts