Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I come here again seeking some wisdom.

I have removed all of the required attachment points on the subframe. Steering linkage and steering wheel rod, stabilizer bar, lower arms, lower stabilizer bar, etc. The problem seems to be the back studs that attach to the body of the car. I've loosened the nuts but no matter how hard I pry down it flexes a little bit but won't move more then 1/4" on both sides. I looked inside the vehicle to see if the top of the stud was exposed but there's nothing. It feels like something is still bolted but I've examined it thoroughly and followed the service manual.

Does anyone have any experience with dropping the subframe on these models? Is there some kind of rubber grommet holding it in place? Do I just keep prying with the crowbar, cause that doesn't seem to be doing much.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Some images of the situation may help us . What we're potentially looking for is "What have I missed"

So I've dropped my frames a few times now and I have one vehicle with that style frame being my ix35. I don't recall any issues but "Gotcha" moments for me have been exhaust hangers if the exhaust is attached to that frame.

The other this is I've read your statement and I can't be sure if you've got it covered or not but at the rear mounting there are bracing brackets i each corner. Have they been removed.

I also expect that engine stay brace also has been removed too

I trust you have this frame supported to lower it under control. You should not need to pry anything..

Off the top of my head this is what I have done

raise vehicle, support on stands, remove wheels,

disconnect:
  1. ball joints
  2. tierod ends
  3. stabiliser link rod at strut
  4. where applicable disconnect front / rear roll stoppers or support stay
  5. steering intermediate shaft inside cabin
support K frame

remove both rear braces, disconnect any exhaust hangers

remove the 4 main K frame mounting bolts
lower under control.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies. The diagram you have is awesome, better than the crumby service manual I have which didn't mention the removal of the plate before accessing the main bolt under it. The problem was the hole size on the plate was so tight on the bolt it wouldn't come off.

Grey Font Electronic instrument Bicycle part Auto part

I had to pry it off slowly working it down to expose the main bolt head underneath. After that it was butter and is now out.

Thanks again...really appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts