Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a clunking power steering issue. When turning it has a little extra play and when I turn the steering wheel back and forth it clunks down around the power steering motor. Also, when I run over uneven road or bumps it also gives the same clunk, but louder. Its as if something is loose inside the motor or the other housing next to the motor. One mechanic has told me I have to replace the entire steering column, motor and all. He only gave the car a brief inspection, so I am trying to find any info I can online. The only related issue I have seen is the power steering motor rubber flex coupler, a rubber piece that seems to get shredded and need replacement, but I don´t think that would cause the clunking while going over bumps. Is there any procedures online for getting into the power steering column to see if anything is loose without screwing it up?

Thank you,

Rob

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
776 Posts
I think when my 2005 Equinox had something similar it was a tie rod or something like that (there was another part they had to replace, like a little rubber ring or something).

One other time (only did it when turning all the way left and then turning right), it turned out to be a defective strut.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had the steering motor flex coupler fail on my 2011 Kia Optima. This is a known issue on Hyundai and Kia vehicles with electric power steering.
When the coupler was first failing there was a suttle thud when turning the wheel from side to side. As the failed part got worse, there was a knocking when the wheel was turned and a loud metalic sound going over bumps. Even though this was covered I changed the coupler out myself. $10 for the coupler and about three hours to change. Quiet as a mouse again now. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Robpanama.... does the noise sound more like a pop when you turn left or right? Doesn't happen all the time, but after you stop for a min or if the front tires seem to be on uneven ground?

If this sounds anything like it, could be the Power steering rack. I have had this noise for 3.5 years.. yes, **** 3.5 years and into 2 dealers for a total of 5 times. They replaced the steering column and a few other things along the way and nothing fixed it. It is at the dealer as we speak and hopefully this is it. I will get it back today. I googled the PS rack issue and do see others that report this popping noise so I really hope it fixes it.

Funny thing is... after 5 times into the dealer, this warranty item is up at 60K miles and I have 62,500. Thank goodness I have the extended warranty with $0 deductible or I would be raising **** with them. They would drive it for like 2 mins in the past and so oh, sorry can't hear it. Grr..

Anyhow, maybe this will help you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same popping noise when turning with my 2014 Santa Fe Sport, dealer replaced the steering rack (Under warranty), two/three weeks later the popping started again. Its now back at the dealer being checked out again along with another issue. Not sure I'm going to be keeping my Santa Fe, I'm very disappointed with the problems I've had with mileage under 100k.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Stabilizer links are an easy fix, improving steering if you're somewhat high miles. I changed mine recently at 125k and the old ones were a mess. I still have some clunking and will be changing the ball joints this summer to see if that corrects the rest of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi everyone.So i just bought a used hyundai santafe sport 2.0T with 96k mile.Few days afterwards i started hearing a clunky sound when i turn the steering clockwise and anticlockwise.Mostly happens when i drive real slow and make turns and rarely hear it while speeding.Took it to my mechanic and he changed the left front inner and outer tie rods and yet it still has the noise.I googled and on youtube i saw the MDPS(motor driven power steering) column rubber coupler as the possible cause.I just want some help and ideas from anyone who knows a sure diagnosis.Already spent $300 and dont wanna go to the dealer to spend more.Would appreciate any advice

·
Registered
262 Posts
power steering) column rubber coupler as the possible cause.I just want some help and ideas from anyone who knows a sure diagnosis.
On my Optima, when the coupler was bad it was easy to tell. With the car off and ignition unlocked, turn the wheel side to side. If hear a noise that comes from the steering column then you have your answer. Coupler cost lees than $10 and under two hours to replace. I believe this was even an extended warranty item.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts