Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife drives a 2013 Santa Fe Sport Turbo which has some engine recalls that sound to be of a rather bad nature. The dealer told me that the recall is for improperly machined blocks that could freeze while driving. They said that they did a sonic test of the engine and it all sounded good. So while this is a low milage car I am looking for advice about the safety of driving this car?

Thanks Riles

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
There is no rhyme nor reason why they fail, and from my experience @ 10% have problems, but the problem can come at a very inopportune time.
Daughter's 2017 Santa Fe, 74,000 miles driving home from work, CEL came on and SUV went into limp mode @ 2000 rpm max which is supposed to let you get to the dealer, but not this one. Downpour, back road, no shoulder, engine seized 9 miles after the light came on. When I arrived, 3 police cars blocking, redirecting traffic, she was a wreck, flatbed came, picked up the SUV, new engine installed a week later.
Might want to read the following, but just make certain the KSDS update has been done to receive the lifetime warranty.

Over the last few weeks have seen engines have major internal problems, but as it was not seized, or a bearing problem, Kia/Hyundai wouldn't honor the warranty. One was a head gasket, the other two were broken pistons.

Great cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts