Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and new to Hyundai. I just bought a 2013 SF Sport, AWD, 2.0T last Saturday. These are my questions for the forum.

1. Every car I've ever had with fog lights, the fogs will come on with just parking lights. Not so the SF. The dealer said that is "normal" for a SF. To me, fogs that only come on with low beams are just about useless. Is this the way the lights work for you others?

2. The "phone" button on the dash, as well as the phone green (activate and make a call button) on the steering wheel will not work unless the radio is on first. The car will however receive a call without first having the radio on. Is this normal?

I came from a Ford with the Sync system which appears to be pretty superior to the Hyundai system. I didn't think to check out those functions before buying it but am a bit disappointed that I have to turn on the radio to make a call. It just doesn't seem logical to me that the steering wheel button won't activate the phone (without the radio on).

Otherwise, I think I will really like the SF Sport and am glad to see there is a forum I could learn from.

Thx in advance for any responses.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I could be wring but i the steering wheel control module would source power/signal from the actual headunit...i.e aftermarket headunit with bluetooth, wouldnt work without radio being powered, could be the same type of setup i would say due to it running bluetooth the headunit would need to be powered on to make connection to steering controls and mobile handset.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I am new to this forum and new to Hyundai. I just bought a 2013 SF Sport, AWD, 2.0T last Saturday. These are my questions for the forum.

1. Every car I've ever had with fog lights, the fogs will come on with just parking lights. Not so the SF. The dealer said that is "normal" for a SF. To me, fogs that only come on with low beams are just about useless. Is this the way the lights work for you others?

2. The "phone" button on the dash, as well as the phone green (activate and make a call button) on the steering wheel will not work unless the radio is on first. The car will however receive a call without first having the radio on. Is this normal?

I came from a Ford with the Sync system which appears to be pretty superior to the Hyundai system. I didn't think to check out those functions before buying it but am a bit disappointed that I have to turn on the radio to make a call. It just doesn't seem logical to me that the steering wheel button won't activate the phone (without the radio on).

Otherwise, I think I will really like the SF Sport and am glad to see there is a forum I could learn from.

Fog lights only work with low beams. Not sure about the radio off phone issue, I never turn my radio off. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Fog on only with low beams is a pretty standard option now a days, you can re-wire it if you want to have them on without the lows though

·
Registered
62 Posts
My fogs only come on with the headlights but the manual says to turn on the park lights for the fogs to work. I wonder which way it should be? With the parks would make more sense to me as it gets rid of the glare from the headlights which is the main problem in fog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx for the responses so far. One thing I didn't mention is that the owner's manual says fogs with parking lights. Also, the manual says nothing about having to have the radio on to make outgoing calls. Just FYI for comparisons, I use a Moto Droid Razr HD. It did link up fine and properly downloaded my contacts. And, to praise the SFS, sound for me, and the person I'm speaking with is great...at least compared to a semi-loud Mustang.

Maybe another thread would be better but I wanted to add that I've used the Android app with the SFS. It does take a couple minutes for the request to work, but the remote start (lock, unlock) work well. Just remember to set your climate controls before you turn the car off at night.

·
Registered
105 Posts
aybe another thread would be better but I wanted to add that I've used the Android app with the SFS. It does take a couple minutes for the request to work, but the remote start (lock, unlock) work well. Just remember to set your climate controls before you turn the car off at night.
I wouldn't say it is working well if it takes a couple of minutes for the request to go through. Are you getting error messages? Or does the car literally start a few minutes after you use the app?

·
Registered
126 Posts
My stereo is always on so the phone thing isn't an issue at all. The fog light operation is normal and has been common place on imports for some time now.

As far as the Sync being superior, I disagree. My fiance's Edge Sport was horrible. It never understood commands and led to her ultimately getting rid of the car. Have the stereo checked out or just keep it on with your volume at zero. It's an easy fix and if those are the only issues you have, then I'd be happy. This car is far better than any Ford I've ever owned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thought it was a law in some states that fog lights are only on with low beams. Is this true or not.

When I had my stock radio system, the phone functions would work whenever the ignition was on.....the radio being on or off wasn't a factor in usage. It might be an issue of communication with your smartphone. Have you tried a different type?

As for the Ford Sync system, I looked at it when I was car shopping in 2012/2013 (two separate occasions). The Sync system has it's advantages and disadvantages compared to the Hyundai counterpart. I'd say they're both pretty equal in terms of technological advancement.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I thought it was a law in some states that fog lights are only on with low beams. Is this true or not.
I think that is true, but meaning when your high beams turn on, the fog lights turn off. I've never owned a vehicle that had fog lights come on with parking lights alone unless i modified it to do so. People like that to happen so they are used and behave more like DRL's.

·
Registered
253 Posts
People really don't know what fog lights are for?

I wish they design a friggin sensor for them to turn on, only when needed!

btw. Welcome to the forum :00000732:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts

+1 on that . I often see people driving with fog lights on when is no fog - I assume because they just like the looks of having extra lights on. Just wears out the alternator sooner.

·
Registered
622 Posts

Just tried it, and I was able to make a call with the radio off. Both the green button, and voice command button worked on the steering wheel, and the phone button on radio. I'm using an iPhone 5s FYI, and I have the touch screen nav radio.

·
Registered
413 Posts

When I had my stock radio system, the phone functions would work whenever the ignition was on.....the radio being on or off wasn't a factor in usage. It might be an issue of communication with your smartphone. Have you tried a different type?

As for the Ford Sync system, I looked at it when I was car shopping in 2012/2013 (two separate occasions). The Sync system has it's advantages and disadvantages compared to the Hyundai counterpart. I'd say they're both pretty equal in terms of technological advancement.
It uses the stereo to reproduce the sound. Your ford does as well. So where is the difference? The radio will also go silent when Bluetooth voice is active. Instead of turning off your radio put it to Aux, or if your xm is not subscribed put it on xm instead of off.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Per the Highway Traffic act, here in Saskatchewan, it is illegal to have more than 4 road lighting filaments on the front of a roadway vehicle on at any time. Hence, the "fog lights" can not be on when the Hi-beams are engaged. Hi-beams are counted as 2 filaments per side. Aircraft landing lights are also directly banned on road vehicles along with any road lighting filaments greater than 72" off the ground.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thanks for the welcome. And ditto on taking the on/off power away from drivers. I see at least 3 cars per 25 miles of driving at night with them on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Santa Fe will not make a phone call unless the radio is ON. I have the base radio. Strange that my Sonata will make a phone call with the radio OFF. Base radio also.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts