Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our engine failed and was replaced with the 120,000 replacement warranty. Ever since that we have a gas smell in the car on cold days. We have complained and they test the fuel leaks and say all is fine. Something is wrong as we still have the gas smell. We did not have this before the engine replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny. it isn't there all the time. it didn't use to happen. you sound like my husband. There is something wrong. it didn't use to do that!! I have had the car since 2013 and now it is doing it. Something has changed and I want to fix the change.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Fuel leaks under certain conditions like that can be hard to find. Been there, done that. My best suggestion is to leave the vehicle overnight with them on a night when it is normally cold enough to duplicate the condition.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
When they replace an engine the exhaust and manifolds get grease and stuff on them that may take quite some time to all burn off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The gas smell is more like exhaust. It seems something is letting the exhaust smell in the car on cold days. If we remember to close the AC it seems to keep it out. It never did that and I am sure grease is gone. We drive long distances from FL to NC. Very upsetting. All they are thinking about is fuel leak. With new engine it should be good for another 80,000 and is like new car except for smell!

·
Registered
182 Posts
The gas smell is more like exhaust. It seems something is letting the exhaust smell in the car on cold days. If we remember to close the AC it seems to keep it out. It never did that and I am sure grease is gone. We drive long distances from FL to NC. Very upsetting. All they are thinking about is fuel leak. With new engine it should be good for another 80,000 and is like new car except for smell!
It's interesting, is your "check engine light" on or was it recently? After our engine was replaced I smelled exhaust fumes especially while idling and various times driving ----the catalytic converter was bad and since replacing I have not smelled it since. So I concluded it was one of two things:

#1---the cat was indeed bad and replacing burned off volitiles that previously were escaping.
#2--- There were slight gaps or bad seas in the exhaust that cleared up after the cat was replaced.

That's just my experience, but I would start by having them check for exhaust leaks around the cat area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The gas smell is more like exhaust. It seems something is letting the exhaust smell in the car on cold days. If we remember to close the AC it seems to keep it out. It never did that and I am sure grease is gone. We drive long distances from FL to NC. Very upsetting. All tjeuy
It's interesting, is your "check engine light" on or was it recently? After our engine was replaced I smelled exhaust fumes especially while idling and various times driving ----the catalytic converter was bad and since replacing I have not smelled it since. So I concluded it was one of two things:

#1---the cat was indeed bad and replacing burned off volitiles that previously were escaping.
#2--- There were slight gaps or bad seas in the exhaust that cleared up after the cat was replaced.

That's just my experience, but I would start by having them check for exhaust leaks around the cat area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx for that suggestion. No to check engine light. How many miles when changed converter?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
If it's truly an exhaust odor and not gasoline - I'd have them check all of the places where there are exhaust connections with gaskets - there are multiple places where replacing an engine where new exhaust gaskets are needed, exhaust mainfold, turbo (if 2.0T) , down pipe, etc. And yes those leaks can be intermittent

1 - 14 of 14 Posts