Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2013 Santa Fe is using a lot of oil between changes. No oil on the driveway or in the engine compartment, no smoke. Just using oil for some unknown reason. I noticed it and filled it back up to the full level, checked three weeks later and it was down about 3/4 of a quart. I've read that replacing the PCV will fix the issue and that this is a common problem on the 2.4L engines especially with a lot of miles on them (mine has 120,000).

The part is cheap (less than $20) but I can't seem to find anywhere online - like a video or written instructions with photos - to show how to do this repair. So I thought I'd ask here. Can anyone post instructions or point me in the right direction on how to do this? And is there anything else that has to be done at the same time?

TIA

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Its under the appearance cover, you will see a hose that is attached to a nozzle coming out of the valve cover. Pull the clamp back and gently rock the hose yo free it.

The pcv valve is a 10mm if I remember but really difficult to remove since there is very little clearance to get a socket in. I used a crescent wrench.

If its still springy it's good but since you bought the part may as well replace. Pro tip...threads are plastic on both the pcv and the valve cover so be careful not to cross thread

While under there I'd check around the hpfp for oil leaks as well as see if the valve cover gasket is leaking. Pull your coils and see if any oil residue is on them...if so its valve cover gasket time since the plug tube seals are included with that part.
Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its under the appearance cover, you will see a hose that is attached to a nozzle coming out of the valve cover. Pull the clamp back and gently rock the hose yo free it.

The pcv valve is a 10mm if I remember but really difficult to remove since there is very little clearance to get a socket in. I used a crescent wrench.

If its still springy it's good but since you bought the part may as well replace. Pro tip...threads are plastic on both the pcv and the valve cover so be careful not to cross thread

While under there I'd check around the hpfp for oil leaks as well as see if the valve cover gasket is leaking. Pull your coils and see if any oil residue is on them...if so its valve cover gasket time since the plug tube seals are included with that part.
First, thanks for the answer. Much appreciated.

Second, forgive my ignorance...what is the hpfp?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
High pressure fuel pump

Looks like wart sticking out of the valve cover, top right hand side.

Mine leaked oil on my Sonata but got it fixed under warranty

·
Registered
14 Posts
So my 2013 Santa Fe is using a lot of oil between changes. No oil on the driveway or in the engine compartment, no smoke. Just using oil for some unknown reason. I noticed it and filled it back up to the full level, checked three weeks later and it was down about 3/4 of a quart. I've read that replacing the PCV will fix the issue and that this is a common problem on the 2.4L engines especially with a lot of miles on them (mine has 120,000).

The part is cheap (less than $20) but I can't seem to find anywhere online - like a video or written instructions with photos - to show how to do this repair. So I thought I'd ask here. Can anyone post instructions or point me in the right direction on how to do this? And is there anything else that has to be done at the same time?

TIA

I am having the same issue as you. I went around a traffic circle and my check oil light popped on for a second. Got home and checked my oil and I had NOTHING in there....NOTHING! Went to the auto shop and added oil back in, still had ~3000 miles left before a scheduled oil change. Set an appointment for a oil consumption check with Hyundai but also found the video above.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I am having the same issue as you. I went around a traffic circle and my check oil light popped on for a second. Got home and checked my oil and I had NOTHING in there....NOTHING! Went to the auto shop and added oil back in, still had ~3000 miles left before a scheduled oil change. Set an appointment for a oil consumption check with Hyundai but also found the video above.
Awesome! Thanks. I'd looked everywhere and for whatever reason that one didn't come up in any of the searches, or if it did it was buried deep in the list of results.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No problem. I justed ordered the part, the comments mentioned that you need a 23mm socket and not a 15/16 as the walls are really small. Hope all works out well for you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts