Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.4L my wife primarily drives.
She tells me it won't start and it looks like a dead battery some click to no click, etc.
I pull the battery and take it down the hopefully get a warranty replacement, but no dice as it is 6 months off, but testing does show a bad cell so I leave with a new unit.

Install the new battery, and the car won't start on first crank, but dash lights do come on. I assume I rushed with a new battery on the computer and the chip in the key getting to know each other, try it again and it fires right up.

The next morning, the car won't start for my wife. I go out, turn the key and it fires up fine. Now I'm leery, try it two more times and it fires, third time, not a charm, won't start again. I send her in my car and start poking around the car and the internet.

I notice the positive cable seems loose and end up getting a battery shim set to put on the leads. I

Fire it up, all good and it seems better than before. A couple more times, it starts fine, so I let it run, drive it around for 30 minutes just to make sure the battery is charging, etc. I wait a few hours, no start, lights on dash.

At this point, it seems to start either right away, or after 1 or 2 tries.

I'm suspecting a bad starter not engaging the bendix, since when it does start, it's aggressively fast and just an unfortunate coincidence of two things failing at once.

Thoughts? and Thanks!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Possibly a bad starter. If it is accessible and you have a spare set of hands....When it acts up have someone hold the key on and tap (tap, not SMASH) the starter motor with a hammer (hammer, not a HAMMER) and see if it cranks. If so then you most likely found the culprit.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Starters are designed to engage properly
So an intermittent .. Bendix doesn't seem to be the issue
However that doesn't remove the starter from being suspect.

I would first clean up the battery post and cable terminals with wire brush
Sometimes there is corrosion that can not be seen that prohibits cranking the engine
It will come and go .. very intermittently.
Check the wire terminal that goes from ignition to starter solenoid
Corrosion there can also be an issue.

After that, when it won't start, have a helper tap the the starter
If it helps to crank engine then starter may be on the way out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to came back and follow up in case any one ran across this one. It turns out it was a slowly failing starter lever. $8.72 for the part at the dealer and more time than I care to think about and we're up and going again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts