Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched all over and didn't see too many of you mention smoke from your exhaust when you had engine issues. I don't hear any weird noises, don't have CEL, but I have noticed higher than normal oil consumption when I check the dipstick. Yesterday I had to jump into traffic, and when I punched it and looked in the mirror to make sure I wasn't going to get rear ended, I noticed bluish smoke in the headlights behind me. I'm at 88k. Also a few days ago I drove through some construction with loose gravel on the roadway. I had to do a u-turn and ESP kicked in, then I apparently went into limp mode, because I had super weak acceleration and I pretty much had to floor it to get it going. No warning lights on the dash. I pulled into a parking lot and shut down, then started back up, and everything was back to normal. Hasn't done it since. Are my symptoms the beginning of the end? I searched the engine replacement threads but didn't see any mentions of smoke - only weird noises and CEL.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Define higher than normal oil consumption. The use of 1-2 quarts per thousand miles can be normal depending on your driving habits. The actual color of smoke can also be hard to determine at night. If you are using engine oil, then you are doing just that. Many vehicles of all types have oil consumption and can be driven indefinitely as long as you check and top off the oil as necessary. Don't over think it at this point in time.

Reduced power mode would be identified by a warning light (SES) or a message on the display.

Reactions: sonata_danny

·
Registered
257 Posts
At times, the 2.0T has a wastegate issue and power is deminished, but after a restart it seems fine, and oil consumption is really not an indicator that the engine is on its way out.
My 2.4L ran awesome and at 100K miles it started consuming 1 QT per 1000 miles, before that I didn't have to add anything between changes.....I literally added 3-4 quarts between oil changes. Sorry, but that ain't normal. With in 16K miles my engine died and I got a new one. I have read story after story in my quest to find a "cure" for the oil consumption and almost every single failure started with oil consumption.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
My 2.4L ran awesome and at 100K miles it started consuming 1 QT per 1000 miles, before that I didn't have to add anything between changes.....I literally added 3-4 quarts between oil changes. Sorry, but that ain't normal. With in 16K miles my engine died and I got a new one. I have read story after story in my quest to find a "cure" for the oil consumption and almost every single failure started with oil consumption.
yes the defining acronym is that it's a CEI (cheap engine issue)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Define higher than normal oil consumption. The use of 1-2 quarts per thousand miles can be normal depending on your driving habits. The actual color of smoke can also be hard to determine at night. If you are using engine oil, then you are doing just that. Many vehicles of all types have oil consumption and can be driven indefinitely as long as you check and top off the oil as necessary. Don't over think it at this point in time.

Reduced power mode would be identified by a warning light (SES) or a message on the display.
Higher than normal to me = any noticeable loss of oil between changes. My Sonata with a 2.4 did not consume any oil between changes, nor does my other Santa Fe with the 3.3. With the 2.0T I should expect to add oil between oil changes? As for the loss of power, there was no CEL or any other information on the display, so it appears to be the wastegate issue @Turbonut mentioned. I'll have to look into that further. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I searched all over and didn't see too many of you mention smoke from your exhaust when you had engine issues. I don't hear any weird noises, don't have CEL, but I have noticed higher than normal oil consumption when I check the dipstick. Yesterday I had to jump into traffic, and when I punched it and looked in the mirror to make sure I wasn't going to get rear ended, I noticed bluish smoke in the headlights behind me. I'm at 88k. Also a few days ago I drove through some construction with loose gravel on the roadway. I had to do a u-turn and ESP kicked in, then I apparently went into limp mode, because I had super weak acceleration and I pretty much had to floor it to get it going. No warning lights on the dash. I pulled into a parking lot and shut down, then started back up, and everything was back to normal. Hasn't done it since. Are my symptoms the beginning of the end? I searched the engine replacement threads but didn't see any mentions of smoke - only weird noises and CEL.
I know your post is older but here is my story and what I have found out. I bought a 2015 Santa Fe Sport from my credit union a couple of years ago (repo), it has the 2.4L GDI engine. It was only about 1 1/2 yrs old but had 100k miles on it already so I think it was driven pretty hard, first thing I did was change the oil and inspect everything, seemed in pretty good shape inside and out. To get on the freeway when I come home from work, the on ramp is a really quick tight 3/4 circle with a very short merge lane, first time I took it to work when I came home and took the on ramp and accelerated quickly, (you need to or you get run over), well it did exactly what you are describing except I totally smoked out my whole side of the freeway and I mean totally, it would barely run, engine pinging, etc., I though what the heck happened. I backed off accelerator and it slowly picked up and came back to normal. I also found out it would do that at one spot in my drive to work, I usually have cruise control on, it's a pretty open road out in the desert, just about as I get to work I hit just a small, very small hill and if I don't remember to take off cruise and slow just a bit it will start choking and smoke. I also experimented a little when there was nobody close behind me, if I'm anywhere above 30 mph and romp on it and hold it for a few seconds it will smoke out everything behind me and engine really pings and struggles. Searched online to see if anybody has had similar conditions and your's is the first in my couple of years monitoring this that pretty much mimics what I have seen. Anyway I drove it a couple of weeks and decided to check oil and it wasn't even showing on dipstick, that was a couple of years ago, I've learned since then I have to check oil weekly or even every couple of days if I drive over 150 miles. I thought the piston rings must be shot but checked the compression and it was reasonable. This whole experience got me into investigating GDI engines, I have a 2013 Kia Optima which has the same engine as the Santa Fe and I've never had anything like that, in fact the Optima takes off like a rocket, it will run circles around the Santa Fe. The other puzzling thing is the check engine light has never come on when it has done this and it's quite obvious something major is happening. I'm a pretty good mechanic and fairly knowledgeable but this was kind of stumping me. Some of what I've seen online leads me to believe that the valve seals probably need to be replaced but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I also, because of how much oil it uses and how the GDI engines work (early years) decided to put a catch can on it and it fills up really fast, especially if I'm freeway driving. To make this more interesting and leads me to believe there is some design or manufacture error, I was recently driving my daughters vehicle which is a 2011 Kia Sorento, same 2.4L engine but not GDI. I was going down the road and needed to accelerate around another car and it did the same thing my Santa Fe did but not as much smoke, I asked my daughter later if it did that when she tried to accelerate quickly or when she had to pass someone on freeway and she said yes always. As you are probably aware both Hyundai and Kia have had some manufacturing issues for which they have issued a number of recalls/fixes in regards to that particular engine but I think there might be more because it seems strange to me that my Kia Optima with same engine runs circles around the Sorento and the Santa Fe which have same engine, there either is some software different or some slight design difference in engine, maybe a bad lot of valve seals that went into the SUV's and not the cars. The other thing I have thought about and am going to check here pretty soon is I'm wondering if the TPS on my Santa Fe is faulty. Anyway that's a long story and it would be interesting if other Santa Fe/Sorento owners have had same thing or in your case I think I saw you have a Sonata.

·
Registered
91 Posts
At times, the 2.0T has a wastegate issue and power is deminished, but after a restart it seems fine, and oil consumption is really not an indicator that the engine is on its way out.
I have experienced both limp mode and a faulty wastegate. While in limp mode you cannot exceed 2000 rpm. You can actually achieved highway speeds while in limp mode but it takes a while. A faulty wastegate or turbo will not prevent you from exceeding 2000 rpm but there will be a lack of power.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I know your post is older but here is my story and what I have found out. I bought a 2015 Santa Fe Sport from my credit union a couple of years ago (repo), it has the 2.4L GDI engine. It was only about 1 1/2 yrs old but had 100k miles on it already so I think it was driven pretty hard, first thing I did was change the oil and inspect everything, seemed in pretty good shape inside and out. To get on the freeway when I come home from work, the on ramp is a really quick tight 3/4 circle with a very short merge lane, first time I took it to work when I came home and took the on ramp and accelerated quickly, (you need to or you get run over), well it did exactly what you are describing except I totally smoked out my whole side of the freeway and I mean totally, it would barely run, engine pinging, etc., I though what the heck happened. I backed off accelerator and it slowly picked up and came back to normal. I also found out it would do that at one spot in my drive to work, I usually have cruise control on, it's a pretty open road out in the desert, just about as I get to work I hit just a small, very small hill and if I don't remember to take off cruise and slow just a bit it will start choking and smoke. I also experimented a little when there was nobody close behind me, if I'm anywhere above 30 mph and romp on it and hold it for a few seconds it will smoke out everything behind me and engine really pings and struggles. Searched online to see if anybody has had similar conditions and your's is the first in my couple of years monitoring this that pretty much mimics what I have seen. Anyway I drove it a couple of weeks and decided to check oil and it wasn't even showing on dipstick, that was a couple of years ago, I've learned since then I have to check oil weekly or even every couple of days if I drive over 150 miles. I thought the piston rings must be shot but checked the compression and it was reasonable. This whole experience got me into investigating GDI engines, I have a 2013 Kia Optima which has the same engine as the Santa Fe and I've never had anything like that, in fact the Optima takes off like a rocket, it will run circles around the Santa Fe. The other puzzling thing is the check engine light has never come on when it has done this and it's quite obvious something major is happening. I'm a pretty good mechanic and fairly knowledgeable but this was kind of stumping me. Some of what I've seen online leads me to believe that the valve seals probably need to be replaced but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I also, because of how much oil it uses and how the GDI engines work (early years) decided to put a catch can on it and it fills up really fast, especially if I'm freeway driving. To make this more interesting and leads me to believe there is some design or manufacture error, I was recently driving my daughters vehicle which is a 2011 Kia Sorento, same 2.4L engine but not GDI. I was going down the road and needed to accelerate around another car and it did the same thing my Santa Fe did but not as much smoke, I asked my daughter later if it did that when she tried to accelerate quickly or when she had to pass someone on freeway and she said yes always. As you are probably aware both Hyundai and Kia have had some manufacturing issues for which they have issued a number of recalls/fixes in regards to that particular engine but I think there might be more because it seems strange to me that my Kia Optima with same engine runs circles around the Sorento and the Santa Fe which have same engine, there either is some software different or some slight design difference in engine, maybe a bad lot of valve seals that went into the SUV's and not the cars. The other thing I have thought about and am going to check here pretty soon is I'm wondering if the TPS on my Santa Fe is faulty. Anyway that's a long story and it would be interesting if other Santa Fe/Sorento owners have had same thing or in your case I think I saw you have a Sonata.
My guess is bad oil ringq, that would explain the good compression.

·
Registered
22 Posts

At 85,000 km my 2.0t has started to use a bit of oil. I'm not happy about it but as long as I monitor and top up when required I'm hoping to get another couple of years out of it. It is encouraging to hear that some owners with the 2.0t have had some longevity with the engine even though it consumes some oil (I believe is the point or takeaway here). Also it seems the 2.4 behaves a bit differently, and overall I'm hoping my 2.0t does not follow the "quick death" that many owners of the 2.4 are reporting. I too don't believe an engine should use any oil but I'm adjusting my expectations and just hoping it doesn't lead to early engine death as long as I keep the oil level up. Thanks everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts