Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined, please be gentle. I searched before I joined, but I didn't see anything that applied to my specific situation.

Just last week my wife bought a 2013 Santa Fe Sport
Screenshot_20200223-172625~2.png
. It's not the top trim level, so it doesn't have the whole Infotainment screen, but it looks like I can get the whole factory infotainment unit on eBay (used) for about $100. But I have questions.

1) Are all the connections already there? Kinda like plug-n-play

2) Do I need additional wiring and/or antennae for GPS

3) New/different bezel?

4) I'd clearly need to add a backup camera. Wiring already there?

I can do the work myself, but I'm totally unfamiliar with this car. This upgrade seems straightforward, but I need to know what it truly involves.

Any knowledge is truly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Nothing is ever straightforward these days because even the radio and HVAC control head are computers that talks to the other computers in the vehicle. You "may" be able to get this to work in part or whole, but it is always easier and best to buy the vehicle with what you want in it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
@Satori73, welcome to the forum. There is another member - @Liquid2k who apparently was able to swap out his infotainment unit to an android based unit. Thread is over here: 13-15 Santa Fe aftermarket android head unit (works with Inifinity system). I am not sure how successful nor how integrated his system is.

As @greysave was saying above, there is always a risk with new cars that you will lose some functionalities with after-market infotainment units due to the complexity of new cars - not to mention the tighter integration of all vehicle systems with on-board diagnostics, etc.

Good luck anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. I appreciate the replies. I was thinking a factory unit from a higher trim level, not aftermarket. So it's not as plug-n-play as I thought it might be?

·
Registered
25 Posts
@Satori73, be careful if the unit is from a later model, it may not be a simple plug and play. It would be ideal if you are able to test it out first.

On a not too related swap note, I have been thinking of swapping the tail lights from my '13 to the '18 (LED tails). I understand even that may not be a straight-forward swap either. :(:mad:. harnesses may not be compatible.

·
Registered
283 Posts
So, i just purchased a tesla style 10.4' screen for my santa fe and it was not straight forward. I was advised that it was plug n play. After hooking everything up obviously it wasnt. So, you have to make sure your steering wheel controls, usb port, backup camera, climate control, parking sensors are all supported. I needed to purchase a 12v to 6v adapter for backup camera, run a microphone, run 4G LTE, Wifi, GPS. They all tell you its plug n play but in the end it requires configuration and some modification. I required an android update to 9.0. Plus configuration changes such as radio frequency by region, make and model protocols for canbus support for steering wheel controls and integrated climate controls. Alot of emails back and forth eapecially with the time zone difference. Company that the unit came from is called Prelingcar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
how did you config the unit?? what did you have to change??
i also have a unit but i get no sound and the fan controls or steering wheel does not work
i have the code for the stereo but i dont know what i need to change
thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts